SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laylaa_gw

Anyone know about park clean up projects?

14 years ago

I use a small local park - Nix Bridge Park on Lake Lanier - daily. I keep hearing about what a poor quality area lake Lanier is for wildlife and agree on a lot of levels, but this park is great for it. Beautiful, perfect trees including a stunning box elder, oak, birch, dogwood, willow (good for bugs anyway) etc. Lot's of fantastic plants, and a lot of invasive plants. Kudzu is just hitting the edges of it in a huge alarming blanket, honeysuckle, privet, all the big names.

So I've been going nuts trying to find a way to sign up or get involved in any invasive plant removal projects in my area. I can't find any. I don't have a clue how to start one - anyone have tips?

I use this park so have the "give back" attitude, it's tiny, a couple acres, but the park is owned by the Army Corps of Engineers, no volunteer ops listed (USA National Phenology Network) for invasive plant removal and no contacts for such work that I can tell. How does one contact the army anyway? Somehow I don't think going in with a bottle of brush be gone and lopping shears without speaking to someone is a grand idea. (that's a joke, okay?)

Dawson County Womans club did an awesome job on a wildlife area in another local park (see DCWC Awarded for Rock Creek Project) perhaps I should ask them for advice. Rock Creek is a county owned park though.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions