SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grow_dahlias

New gardener with very limited space & only 4hrs of direct sun.

grow_dahlias
14 years ago

Is there hope for me?? =/

I just moved here from New England and have been itching to start some vegetable gardening for years now. I do hope somebody can help me. I have a porch where I can put a few containers, but it only gets direct sun in early afternoon, from say 10-2. I also have a back area where I can put more containers, which gets some more direct sun in the afternoon, around 4-5 hours.

Can I grow anything in containers, in the fall, with this much sun? (Perhaps vertically?) What vegetables would have the best chance in this environment? I like all veggies.

If anyone can give me a few suggestions, I will totally try it out and see where it takes me. I just don't want to make the mistake of growing something completely unfit for the area/time of year/sun. I love eggplant but have heard mixed advice on them-- that they need as much sun as possible versus that you can grow them in late fall with some shade.

Also, can I grow any flowers from seed right now, given my conditions?

Any advice/tips would be so very appreciated. I love Georgia so far! I've been struck with how much wild rosemary is everywhere..... and to think that I used to pay 3.99 for four sprigs at my grocery store.. !

Tamara

Comments (6)

Sponsored