SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nornster

Fragrant and tolerates wet feet

nornster
14 years ago

I tried a search for groundcovers, but couldn't find a thread with this combo of tolerating wet feet and being fragrant...

We have a narrow strip just off of our screened-in porch right now that is just stepping stones and mulch over weedcloth. To keep down the many weeds, I'd like to plant perennial groundcovers in the fall. The area is on the west side of the house - shade until noon, sun can get pretty hot around 4:00 pm. The area will not get much foot traffic, and what little there is can walk on the stepping stones.

We are 20 yards or so from the shoreline of a lake, and our garden is always wet - we grow swamp milkweed, cardinal flower, turtlehead in our garden to give you an idea of how wet. The vinca we have growing in the garden has done fine with the wet feet, but since this is by our porch, a ground cover with some fragrance would be nice. I'm not exclusively planting natives - I have many, but monkshood is one of my favorite introductions, for instance - but I've read that water forget-me-not shouldn't be used so close to waterways.

So, gardenwebbers - any suggestions?

Comment (1)

Sponsored