SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bveronico

Mini Brass Buttons in Shade

9 years ago

I'm hoping to hear from anyone that has had experience growing Leptinella Gruveri or Miniature Brass Buttons.

I inherited a very shady, dirt that turns to mud when raining, weedy backyard and after trying to grow moss transplanted from family property upstate as well as with the milkshake method, the only thing spreading is the chickweed.

So I changed gears and researched groundcovers, finding mini brass buttons was listed as tolerable of full shade, being walked on, and was good at blocking out weeds. I also liked how it stayed low and dense and seemed to resemble some mosses. I planted a bunch yesterday and really want it to do well.

But I also see some online sites mention partial shade as a requirement, and somewhere I think I read someone say they planted it in full shade (somewhere in Ontario) and it never spread.

Any thoughts on how it will do in my space? This is pretty much the most sunlight it gets when trees are leafed out. Picture taken around 1:50pm. Shadow from that house will start creeping to the left and by 4pm will all be shade. Some morning sun might get through for about an hour or two but not reach the part closest to the patio.

Watering is easy for me and that area drains quickly, but takes a few days to dry out except during the hottest spells, but I am regular with the hose then.

Thanks!

Comments (15)