SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rocky110501

ajuga, oenothera, wintercreeper, yucca, thyme

rocky110501
18 years ago

I have a a 25 foot wide by probably 300 ft long ditch in full sun and i'm in zone 5. We want to naturalize the ditch and let some groundcovers take over instead of mowing the grass in this ditch. So, I rounded up part of this area and then planted bunch of ajuga (choc chip), oenothera, wintercreeper (dwarf), mother of thyme, couple yuccas, and some calgary carpet junipers on the upslopes of ditch. I was over on the perennial forum and after i read a few threads, I think they don't like a majority of the groundcovers i picked...ajuga, yucca and oenothera being some of them...they said they're invasive and wouldn't even buy a house that had goutweed planted anywhere on the lot. I just want a good groundcover, and i didn't want to plant the usual crownvetch. What do you all think? Did i make poor choices? One side of the ditch is the road, the other side, being my "far from perfect" lawn and then the driveway on the other side. The rest of the ditch is really long and doesn't hit neighbors lot until about 300 more feet down the road. Did i make a mistake by planting ajuga?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting