15 years ago

'Lake Effect'
    LOL

• juliet11
    15 years ago

Seal of Approval - for its unreliability

sometimes it's gorgeous

but often it's splotchy and the sepals are deformed:

I think a lot of it is thrips - it seems to be my worst daylily for thrips. If it was awful all the time it would be easier to get rid of.

Juliet

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Daylilies for named daylilies I don't have

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi, I am interested in a trade if you still have some available. Leonard Bernstein Dick Bennett Santa's Little Helper Chicago Picotee Memories Glowing in the Dark Digging and spearating my daylilies now: Have: Asymetry Beautiful Jealous Eyes Blueberry Candy Castle Pinkney Chicago Apache Dark Circle Ferris Wheel Genesee Fire Highland Lord Lucky Draw Red Ribbons Strutter's Ball Wild Horses I send double mature size fans and would like the same in return. Thanks and have a great day.
    ...See More

Licorice . . . I like it and I don't like it

Q

Comments (8)
    Well, I'm sitting here with a bowl of dried A. pringlei flower stalk (all the leaves are long gone) on one side of me, and a bowl of A. foeniculum flower stalk on the other side...and thinking about how to describe the differences in aroma! They are definitely different. Yes, A. pringlei is just as strongly aromatic (actually more so, in these dried samples), but with a more lavender-like fragrance, and mostly lacking the suggestion of anise that I get from the foeniculum. Yet not exactly like lavender (L. angustifolium) either...as I sniff away at a handful of that too... Well, words fail me... (Maybe I should pull out a wine magazine and peruse the descriptive range of scents and flavors...venturing far off topic, sorry, but it never ceases to amaze me the vast range of sensations those wine critics glean from an $8 bottle of plonk - kind of makes one wonder why they'd ever waste money on the more expensive ones, LOL!) Rick, in the article you attached, it's the flavor of A. pringlei that the author rates as "good" - apparently, he uses the leaves and/or flowers in salads. Hmm, never thought of that... Lori
    ...See More

If You Don't Like Garlic....don't come to Iowa!

Q

Comments (6)
    LOL Heard about this today also on the news thought how cool they could reuse it...instead of wasting...gotta be better then the sand they use here.....Stacy
    ...See More

HAVE: Named Daylilys for Daylilys I don't have

Q

Comments (0)
    I have to moved some daylilys this month. I have the following: Gordon Briggs Melon Mist Hyperion Eruption Get Set Mary Todd Ski Jump Little Grapette
    ...See More
  • caliloo
    15 years ago

Here is one... of course, I hate all yellow/reds, but thsis on is particularly ugly to me. FOOLED ME.

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Man, I have KANSAS KITTEN and it does very well for me, no blotchiness and though not tall, not too short either.

• Nancy
    15 years ago

Not sure I have any I don't like...although Jerry Nettles had a lot of splotchy blooms, not terrible but not as good as I would like to see. Seemed to improve a lot later in the season, & of course, I just got it last fall so maybe I expect too much of it. Seems like older daylilies settle right in & bloom perfectly 10 minutes after you plant them, the newer ruffly edged ones I'm discovering are more needy.
    Of course, this year is my first experience with thrips so I'm still learning daylily problems.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

I'd also like to see some start of the day end of the day shots too. Most of my friends view my daylilies about mid to late afternoon. If the color is only good at 6 in the morning, it's not impressive to me or to them. I hope this thread continues as it can save me some rather costly mistakes.......Maryl

• farmerbell
    15 years ago

Chris, I like the first two, but I agree with you on the third one. Interesting thread - thanks for starting it.

Ann

• rechinout
    15 years ago

The orange Little Bumble Bee was sent to me instead of the yellow and white one called Bumble Bee. Sadly I just don't take to orange, and this one really doesn't do it for me at all. I guess it will end up on the compost heap eventually when I run out of space.

Andy

• ladypat1
    15 years ago

Siloam Virginia Henson. Too little, too yellowy, (supposed to be cream) Melts easily, doesn't last all day. Scrappy little foliage. Pfffff!

Pat

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

Clothed in Glory is a fader. I like this daylily enough however that next year I will be trying to find a spot that might help it retain it's color better. First pic is early AM, 2nd is late PM.
    {{gwi:865458}}
    {{gwi:865459}}

• phaltyme21
    15 years ago

Caliloo - I agree about Fooled Me. I can't see what is so
    great about it. There are a great many that look similar
    and they aren't any better.

Kay

• tjhemmer
    15 years ago

I usually don't take pics of ones that I don't like. However to remind me of one of my mistakes (Ordering from a picture), I do have one

One Step Beyond
    {{gwi:865460}}

Color is dull to begin the day and goes down hill from there. Not a good multiplier and not many blooms. I will admit it has good form, but that's it. The fact that I missed that it was a single fan price and not a double has nothing to do with it.

Tom

• suel41452
    15 years ago

I don't care for mauves either.
    I don't particularly like Happy Returns - too small a flower and doesn't rebloom that much for me. Ditto for Stella D'oro; and when someone on GW sneeringly described it as the color of "Kraft macaroni & cheese" I never felt the same way about it.
    I don't like Pixie Beauty (muddy mauve for me) or Attribution - my first so-called "pink" that had a gorgeous pink photo on the pot - but when it bloomed it was muddy & peachy. Really the color should have been called terra cotta.
    Gentle Shepherd is OK but nothing special.
    But don't have the heart to pitch them!!

• katladie
    15 years ago

I've never met a daylily I didn't like. Anyone wanting to get rid of them I will take them for postage. I have two acres of land to fill and a very limited budget.

Sharon

• njmomma
    15 years ago

hmph, well I like my Happy Returns very much and they haven't stopped blooming since I got them. They are smaller, but I just put 3 large clumps together to get a better effect.
    I don't like Fooled Me (I don't have it either).
    I have a NOID that I got early in the summer that only bloomed a few times. Here's a pic of the FFO and then a pic of a later bloom. I don't like DLs that aren't consistent.
    {{gwi:238368}}
    SAME plant, later bloom.

What color will it be next year? Orange? Peach? Can't wait to find out.

• jean_ar
    15 years ago

AWWW,I think all of these are gorgeous,even the faded one. I don't have very many and what I have,I haven't had them long to form a opinion on them yet.

Jean

• tahtah4now
    15 years ago

Proud peacock, too short and doesn't open well for me. It has tons of buds but only 2 opened well and I missed both shots!
    Pink puff isn't one of my favorites, blooms are small and another that doesn't open well.
    I love happy returns, blooms forever and it's a baby yellow. I love baby yellow.
    I'm not a fan of mauve myself but I have a couple.

Tammy

• lilylady_2008
    15 years ago

This is a NOID that I think is Chamonix. And as my Mom would say this poor thing is downright homely. This pic was taken last year but unfortunately is not any prettier this summer. Just can't make myself like it!

Dianna

• sharons2
    14 years ago

I don't like Siloam Merle Kent. I sure blooms well, but the color sure is muddy.

I also have a long-standing grudge against Purple Waters, but that's primarily because the catalog I ordered it from had used a picture of Prairie Blue Eyes instead. It was the first daylily I ever had; and when it bloomed, I was pretty thoroughly down on all daylilies after that. (I didn't know enough then to Google picts Purple Waters and thought all daylily picts were equally deceiving.)

• nanny56
    14 years ago

If I don't like them...they leave. Royal Braid, Strawberry Candy...I didn't hate Baja, but it was nothing special.

I always try to give them to someone or offer for postage. There is always somebody who will take them!

• thesilverpumpkin
    14 years ago

i love this thread. i have a small yard, so if i don't like one, it's punted. the one daylily that sticks out the most is gentle shepherd. i had about 10 plants and they didn't grow hardly at all. it may have been that i got it from a local nursery. it had a pretty white flower tho.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I have Siloam Merle Kent, Baffin Bay Beauty and Strawberry Candy all too new to have bloomed. Sorry to read them being on the dislike lists.

I dislike yellow, orange and red in general.

I really like mauve. It goes so well with burgundy foliage and I have a lot of plants with burgundy foliage.

• floota
    14 years ago

LOL .. what a fun thread! Here's one I really have a love-hate relationship with. Some days it strikes me as unique, and other days, I want to yank it out of the ground. It is definitely the strangest Curt Hanson cultivar that grows here. This is INCA APOTHECARY.

There was another one sent as a bonus by John Shooter years ago back when I was just getting started w/ daylilies. I believe it was called CHOCOLATE RIPPLES. It was different, with sort of brown veining, but I thought it was butt ugly. Yet garden visitors would admire it!! So one day someone commented on it and I ran for the shovel, dug it up and gave it to them before they could change their mind!

• deangreen
    14 years ago

great post! this is the sort of question I love reading about but I always thought it wasn't apropos to mention dislikes... yay!
    ANYWAY, I don't like the red/yellow and purple/yellow tet combos that start looking all the same after a while and look like from outer space or doctor seuss, and same goes for everything with the same over ruffled or toothy or whatever edges....
    never been a fan of spiders either but some are piquing my interest...ha

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

The only ones I can think of that I don't like would be a couple of unknowns that have brownish shades in them.

I also don't like daylilies that bloom below the foliage. CHINESE LANTERN has never bloomed above the foliage for me, and yet I hate to get rid of it because it was the first daylily that was given to me by a good friend. Every time she visits, the subject of Chinese Lantern comes up (she has a memory like a steel trap:)), so I guess I'll always find a spot for it.

Vickie

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Always Afternoon was such a muddy color in my garden I dug it up and gave it all away. It bloomed like a madman, tho!

So far I am not impressed with David Kirchoff, and Edge of Darkness, but I am going to wait one more season and see what they do.

I really hate Stella D'Oro. Maybe because every Walmart, Target, Lowes, and nearly every other business in town has a bazillion of them in their "gardens". Yuck!

Someone gave me one called "Europa" which looked exactly like a ditch lily, so I was going to toss it on the compost heap, but my husband took pity on it and planted it down by our mailbox! LOL

I like Inca Apothecary! And I sure hope the Seal of Approval I put in last year looks like photo number one! LOL

Linda

• jkayd_il5
    14 years ago

One person's trash is one person's treasure. I have daylilies all around the yard but three main beds. The back bed in behind three blue spruce trees. In it I have NOIDS, oldies, and the ones who no longer make the cut to be in my front gardens. Last summer my niece and her teenaged daughter from Virginia came and veiwed my gardens. Guess which one her teenager put on her cell phone and a clump was dug up and sent home with them. Bonanza from my hidden/secret garden. Linda I know what you mean about your husband, if I'm ready to throw something away, he plants it across the road by his barns. We have a nice flower garden over there now.

• Cindy zone 6a
    14 years ago

This is a good thread, I will have to say my 'enemy' amongst the daylilies is Kwanso, Need I say more!! I keep some though just cause it has stories to go with it and it never fails that someone that looks at my flowers will comment on that nice, full orange DL. I have dug up clumps for others along with a cautionary word. LOL I will need to keep the shovel right there. It is the only Daylily that has hit the trash pile, we keep a sorta neighborhood compost pile on the edge of the corn field across the street, and of course that Kwanso is growing all around it and is now starting to go down the road. YIKES. Also, I had a red DL that I have since figured out is Baja, which I gave to my sister in law, who, by the way was the one that gave me the Kwanso, which was from her mothers yard. Well when I gave her the Baja it wasn't in bloom, and you know what happened, I quite by mistake, dug to close to the Kwanso and thats what she had the following year when it bloomed. She reminds me of that all the time!!! Sorry , but it's a good thing, to see some dislikes on here. I absolutely love Always Afternoon, and Chocolate Ripples is on my list to get at Cottage Gardens.!!??? And those Stellas, have become the new 'gas station' flower.
    Cindy

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Almost a year later, and I have a few more to add to the thread:

AZURE VIOLETS -- The color is nothing like other photos I've seen, and the flowers never fully open. Most flowers have petals that canoe:

LADY NEVA -- Wrong color combination for me, and the scapes are too spindly for the size of the bloom:

I love the blooms on these two flowers, but they aren't the daylilies I ordered. The first was supposed to be SPACECOAST CHERRIES AND CREAM; the seller told me he must have sent SC SONATA by mistake (no refund, by the way). I'm not sure it's really SC SONATA, and I hate having flowers I really like with no ID:

This was also a mistake from the seller. I think this one's a beauty, but once again, there's no ID. The seller went out of business shortly after I received this plant:

If anyone can ID the last two for me, I'd like them a whole lot better!

• nanny56
    14 years ago

I LOVE that INCA APOTHECARY!!! Will have to check in to that one!

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I like it too and like my Always Afternoon as well.

I'm not a fan of Stella's golden yellow. She has never bloomed that well for me and needs constant dividing but I do still have her out by the mailbox....

• MaxBaerHems
    14 years ago

Chris.....
    I would say Spacecoast Sonata is correct and the second one I would say Spacecoast Peach Fringe.

Rick

• kydaylilylady
    14 years ago

Hmmm. I've got LAKE EFFECT, have had it for several years and it's maybe 4 fans and I can't say that I've ever seen it bloom...

ALEXA KATHRYN is my choice for this award. Short scapes, always blotched until it reblooms during the heat of the summer. I've heard that it's considered a hybridizer's flower. I wish I'd known that before I bought it. The only good thing about it is it's tough and multiplies well.

• russ2009
    14 years ago

I don't think there is a daylily I dont like. Love them all - even with a few faults. If you guys ever want to find a new home for the orphans....grin. I am adopting. Russ

• Nancy Barginear
    14 years ago

The last one looks like ALL THE MAGIC. I have it and it's a very nice flower, but never can pollinate it.

I'm finding where the daylily is located has something to do with its performance. Bella Sera was beautiful on the shady, east side of our house. I moved it along with all the others to our field bed in full sun. I haven't had a bloom from it this year that was its true color.

The mottling appears to be caused from some kind of insect. I've had a lot of it this year in the pinks, reds and purples. Spraying the buds with Immunox seems to have helped somewhat.

Nancy

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

This really is a good thread! :) It's interesting to see what turns different people off. It's true, there's something for everyone, and one man's trash...

I am by no means an afficianado, but my personal taste is, I really don't care for the ones with eyes that have a lot of contrast. You know, white with a super dark purple or red eye. I don't really like blooms with more than one color on any plant, unless the gradation is very subtle...then I love it.

• jercatz
    14 years ago

I don't like Spacecoast Starburst. It's color is muddy and it has a weird shape.

• floota
    14 years ago

Hmmm, I also think the last one looks like SP. PEACH FRINGE. Here's the only ( not so good) Pic I could find of it!

{{gwi:865470}}

Isn't it funny - different strokes for different folks, I guess, but I absolutely love LAKE EFFECT. It is a great performer here!

{{gwi:865472}}

• shive
    14 years ago

I think so much of this has to do with climate. Azure Violets performs beautifully here, but it needs heat to open well and have good color. Old King Cole is the one I can't get to open all the way. I sent Spiny Sea Urchin and Alexa Kathryn to new homes because they were ALWAYS splotchy here. I adore mauves, but they look very muddy in the north.

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Debra, I think you're right about the climate (and my soil isn't the greatest, either). With some of my purchases, I wish I'd known that my northern weather might prevent the daylily from performing up to par. With some, like the scape on LADY NEVA, it's more a characteristic of that cultivar.

With regard to AZURE VIOLETS, I've seen beautiful photos showing a deeper purple color and open face. But I think I've come to realize I don't care for gold edges on purplish daylilies.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on the two unknowns. They're some of the only unknowns I've kept -- and just because they're pretty.

• ljb5966
    8 years ago

I HATE Darla Anita-very ugly flower IMO - on its first bloom I tossed it. Cathy Cute Legs, When Bears Fly - any of the orangey, brownish ones that look like ditch lilies - yuck.

• signet_gw(6b)
    8 years ago

Any daylily that doesn't reach registered height . I like tall daylilies so when one doesn't reach the height I expect from it's registered stats then that is seriously disappointing . A good example of that is Hubble's Buddy . Nice blooms but only reach about 2 feet tall here and never have gotten to the 43" registered height . Almost makes me feel I either dont have the right plant or it was registered incorrectly.

• dick_in_ohio
    8 years ago

Doucanoe: Europa is the 'ditch lily'.

• dick_in_ohio
    8 years ago

Christmas Is never bloomed above the foliage so it went a long time ago.

• signet_gw(6b)
    8 years ago

Dick _in_Ohio , you need to use Fulva Europa to make wine like I do , Then it is a valuable plant LOL !

• dick_in_ohio
    8 years ago

If I ever start making anything alcoholic, it will be beer. Nothing like a cold one with a warm pizza after a hot day in the garden.

• signet_gw(6b)
    8 years ago

Shive ......how odd, I grow Old King Cole and it does wonderfully here in S.W,Ontario which is seriously north of you . I sure wouldnt consider Tennessee as North .

• organic_kitten
    8 years ago

Mantis, as soon as I saw New York Rita, I figured it was an old thread.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County