SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Sidewalk strip groundcover for full shade, not watered

John Liu
12 years ago

This is my very first post on the garden side, and as such I know I should be introducing myself after a long period of lurking and learning - but I'm not. I'm too tired! To explain - I have about 60 feet of sidewalk strip, that is heavily shaded by large trees, and has been populated by moss, weeds, stubby grass, and dirt. It really looks like [deleted]. To make matters worse, it is on the side of my corner lot, with no irrigation, so most of the time the ugly thing is ''out of sight, out of mind'' for me, but not for my poor neighbors, who are too nice to say anything from their perfectly manicured strips.

After 4 years of building guilt, yesterday I rented a rototiller and tilled the strip. Then it rained. As it always does here in Portland. This morning I went out in the rain and raked up the clumps of moss, grass, and weeds, and hauled 15 wheelbarrow loads of soggy dirt and vegetation to my side yard, a circuitous route (around the corner, up the driveway, thread the breezeway, weaves between the backyard furniture, up and down various curbs, dump the load, reverse . . . ).

Oh and it rained the whole time. So now I am sitting in my armchair, soaked and muddy, wondering what to do with the dirt strip.

My goal is a strip that is near-zero maintenance, looks tolerable, doesn't need watering even in summer, and can handle heavy shade and tree leaves. It doesn't need to be walkable, except for the occasional person walking from his car to the sidewalk.

My wife has suggested vinca. It grows well enough here, but I'm not convinced it grows all that fast. I would like to avoid ivy, we have it on our side slope on the other side of the sidewalk. I could, I guess, try a shade-tolerant grass, but am quite dubious. Can anyone suggest some appropriate choices?

My neighbor suggested using weed cloth to hold the weeds down while the ground cover is growing. I've also been told that will prevent the ground cover from taking hold. Can you suggest the best way to cultivate the ground cover?

As you can see, I'm not really ''into'' this strip. But I need to get it done, and I do want to do a good job. Thanks to everyone.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996