SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cody_mi

trading?

cody_mi
13 years ago

does anyone do much daylily trading? i've looked at the exchange page and theres not much action. i'm not working much right now (my boss hates me) and i'm trying to go back to school this fall so i don't have much for a fall daylily budget, especially since i spent so much over the winter. there's a few gossards that i'd like to try. if anyone is interested, please email me privately. these are the plants i'm looking for

stargate portal

heavenly angel ice

thundercat

ancient impact

green inferno

heavenly flight of angels

polar bear express

purple cheetah

raspberry griffon

white eyes pink dragon

Comments (17)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

You will probably see more action if you post this on the Exchanges page.
    Renee

• cody_mi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i actually probably won't, but thats ok, i was just asking

• Related Discussions

Seeds for trade! *Updated Trade List for 2016-2017*

Q

Comments (6)
    Sent both of you messages :) and yes Val, good to be back trading. Sorry guys, I've been so busy cuz I hopefully purchasing my home after a few years of saving and working so hard!! :) So excited Happy Gardening ~Michael
    ...See More

New trade list up and running! Looking forward to some trades.

Q

Comments (20)
    Hi landscraper_82, I was just wondering if you have any of these left to trade? I haven't had time to figure out a trade list here but the seeds I have available are here: https://www.happyheathenhomeus.com/  Please let me know if you find anything and are up for a trade. Many thanks, Becca Red Noodle bean Bonanza Loofa Queen Red lime zinnia Tequila Lime zinnia Dancing girls zinnia Red variegated cotton
    ...See More

Anyone trading >?my trading list is ready

Q

Comments (0)
    any one ready :)
    ...See More

Looking for these flowers for trade , check my trade list

Q

Comments (0)
    Looking for these flower seeds, cutting or bulbs, check my trade list to trade . Carol(ZONE 9a)May 21, 2018 LILY'S or DAYLILLIES -- ORIENTAL MAGIC STAR or ANY. COLEUS CLEMATIS. HIBISCUS HELLEBORES --STAINED GLASS or ANY GERANIUMS HOLLYHOCKS IRIS --KATHERINE HODGKIN or ANY. PEONY HEUCHERA --FOREVER PURPLE or ANY. ECHINACEA --HOT PAPAYA SCABIOSA MONARDA--BEES KNEES, BALMY LILAC, LEADING LADY, ALSTROEMERIA --INDIAN SUMMER TRITOMA--RED HOT POKER. STOKESIA LAEVIS --HONEYSONG. COREOPSIS --GOLDEN GLOW. FOXGLOVE --HEARTHROB WHITE. DIANTHUS --RASPBERRY SURPRISE. TULIP --ICE CREAM , COOL CRYSTAL, CARNIVAL DE RIO, ROCOCO,GREEN STAR, FLAMING PARROT. If you have any of these , check my trade list to see if I have anything you need that we can trade for ,thank you.
    ...See More
  • daylilybedmaker
    13 years ago

I have STARGATE PORTAL. I will have to go outside, when it stops pouring, and see how many fans I have. I would also suggest participating in the in the Trademart that gets underway toward the end of August. I too am on a limited budget and participating in the trademart is wonderful way to feed your addiction.

David

• cody_mi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i keep hearing about trademark, but i don't know anything about it. if you have any to spare, that would be amazing. i've been saving change and my ahs voucher to get rose f. kennedy from heidi douglas this fall. pretty excited about that one

• northerndaylily
    13 years ago

I suspect.. the many DON'T go near the 'exchange ala *cr*w your neighbor' page much.. just for that reason.

NOT.. per anyone posting to this thread.. to date.. but an experience of mine CURED me........ :). Still have "ITS" emails.. saw 'IT' once trolling for new victims.

Methinks lots of honest traders around.. just the rotten ones ruin it in the end.

So... I am looking for a good quantity of MEXICAN ART.. if your one of the good ones.. email me OFFLIST. I have a decent list of offerings.. and I send NICE stuff.. :).

• cody_mi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

there's always someone that has to ruin it for everyone. i don't have mexican art, i had to look it up. very nice red. like i said, i was just wondering if we could make it happen, i can be patient if i have to be lol.

• lisa_3
    13 years ago

To be fair-I only had one person send me a really bad trade through here (wrong plants) that wasn't happy and willing to make it right. Her suggestion for making it right was to have me send her more in exchange for the one she didn't send the first time-and I was left with a bunch of who knows what they are. Won't trade with her again.
    But I have also noticed the sudden lack of trades for daylilies.

• northerndaylily
    13 years ago

Another round.. per trading.. what is the word.. tactics.

I thought back when I considered trades.. that a few of more artful scammers get together and post good reviews for each other. Seem to remember the queen I got hung by reviewing another that was passed to me a joke per trading. I know on a seed purchase yrs back I suspected such on a long 'missing packet' of seeds.. which I brought postal inspectors in for.. that the seeds arrived soon after the 'investigation'.

Even had one scammer.. send an address.. with one critical minor chg in the addy.. allowing delivery to her. I called that home.. got the male member.. his response was 'what has she done now'. She got onto the phone.. didn't know a thing about emailing an addy.. and future emails weren't answered.

I inquired to GW and got tossed off. :)

Trading.. just beware. Know the person.. or have good solid references. Obvious details.. but at times a person wants to get a 'deal'.. and most often.. they DO.

• beachlily z9a
    13 years ago

Man, this sucks! I've had problems locally--last year spent 2 days digging 35 cultivars for "a friend". She called the afternoon we had planned for the pickup and said she was at the airport. Decided to go see mom. She was surprised I had gotten all the daylilies out of the ground, and then asked me to hold them for 2 weeks until she got back. I made a few calls and found someone who really needed some more daylilies and they came and got them. I was major league torqued. Lots of work involved!

That being said, I'm really careful, but I do enjoy trading. My daylilies usually grow so well that I need to keep a list of people in place so I can shuffle excess plants out to get new plants in. It's a win-win process.

• njmomma
    13 years ago

Yikes! I just did 2 trades and I HOPE they are what they are supposed to be. One was with a regular GW daylily forum contributor so I'm not concerned about that one, but the other one wasn't. She did have pictures and we carried on long email conversations so I hope she was legit.

I've also noticed the exchange site is really slow this year. I guess my exchange days are over for now. I've had many disappointments and who needs that! I always send fully mature double fans of blooming size and I often get baby, tiny double fans. :(

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

And you sent Strawberry Candy to me just because you are so sweet :) And I think about you and Linda every time I go into my garden.
    Renee

• njmomma
    13 years ago

Ahhh - that's so nice of you!

• northerndaylily
    13 years ago

"I often get baby, tiny double fans"

Exactly. Take note you potential traders.. this is the norm. But yes.. trading can be a great experience... when all goes as it should.

• sharons2
    13 years ago

I'd be willing to trade with you, cody_mi; but I don't have any of the daylilies that you're looking for, so I didn't respond.

I got "baby, tiny double fans" one time, but I usually send out and receive full-sized blooming fans.

I'm setting up a trade right now, but I'm not sure my trader will be happy with one of the daylilies she wants to try. In the 5 years I've had Blake Allen, it has neither bloomed nor increased for me at all. I figure it needs to go farther south, but my trader is only in zone 5b. A friend in zone 6 just told me this weekend that she sent it away for nonperformance, too; so I'm thinking I should let my trader know. Just how far south do you think Blake Allen needs to go in order to perform?

Sharon

• Ed
    13 years ago

Sharon,
    'Blake Allen' is a Kate Carpenter evergreen. I would guess it likes zone 7 and greater.
    Ed

• Waitforspring
    13 years ago

Has it always been like this or have things gone downhill in recent years? I've had a few bad trades, but most have been good ones. When I get the wrong plant I've given the benefit of the doubt and figured it wasn't intentional--except in one case years ago when I traded with someone who turned out to be a total scammer (Anyone remember the infamous Ladybug Lady?). Some people got nothing in return when they traded with her. I got daylilies, but none that were what they were supposed to be. I'd sent several bonuses too since I was trying to help out a supposed newbie. She did get thrown off--at least under that name.
    Val

• ozzysboy
    13 years ago

Hmmm. This thread has given me some food for thought. I'm currently working with a group that's launching a general, commercial barter site. My suggestion to the group which got approved was to add a free sister site strictly directed to plant/garden swapping. I've actually finished building the bulk of the functionality, and I haven't yet gotten approval for incorporating a feedback feature. But now I'm wondering how we can protect the integrity of the swap other than by using a feedback feature, or even, what steps IN ADDITION to a feedback feature could we incorporate? Any suggestions from you fellow gardeners?

The garden swap section isn't necessary to the commercial site--just kind of a bone the group tossed me--and it was intended just to be a rather informal place that allows gardeners to swap plants with some advanced searching features included.

With face-to-face transactions you can see if you'd like to pick something up or not (usually). It's not so straight-forward with cross-country swaps. My own feeling is that if scammers are just going to sour everybody's goodwill (and yes, I think gardeners have a natural abundance of goodwill), I'd really rather back off of the idea of launching the garden swap section at all. Hmmmm.

-eric