SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wanna_garden

Wild Blackberries in North Georgia

wanna_garden
17 years ago

I have discovered that I have a very large patch of blackberry brambles. A very very large patch. Wish I could post a picture to show you guys, it's huge. Then again, I have no experience with such, maybe it's not so impressive after all.

Well, I finally resolved that they aren't possibly poisonous, according to a website that said that no "aggregate berries" (I think is what they called them) are ever poisonous. Aggregate berries being those berries that are actually small clusters of tiny berries, such as black and raspberries. So I tasted one today, and yuck! LOL. I had hoped they were raspberries when I saw them last week, but nope, they're all turning black, unhairy, and they don't lose their innards when picked, so they're blackberries. And they taste rather ucky, bitter, I guess.

I have wanted to plant either blueberries, raspberries, or grapes. But I haven't been able to do so yet, so when I first saw these last week, I was really very excited. I wish I liked them.

I did find one recipe on the web for seedless blackberry jam, and I'm considering that, for next year maybe. In the meantime, is there any palatable way to eat these, which doesn't require an expensive food straining machine? And also, is it possible that although these seem ripe, they maybe aren't quite yet, and that is why they taste bitter? According to what I've been reading, they're ripe when they reach their designated color.

Also, do any of ya'll have any experinece in dealing with these wild brambles? Is there anything I should do to them, or for them, if I plan to eat any of its produce in the future?

I did actually post in the fruit/orchard forum last week, but I now ask here, because these appear to be wild grown, and what reading I've done so far on the web seems to indicate that there are a trillion different varieties of blackberries/black raspberries growing wild across the country. I'd prefer advice from someone who's actually dealing with the same variety I am. So that they'll believe me when I say they don't taste so great.

Comments (8)

Sponsored