SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
satellitehead

starting greens this time of year?

satellitehead
15 years ago

the rash of windy storms we rec'd 6-7 weeks ago knocked all of our spinach down (it vaulted early), and after a good portion of it didn't come back, we pulled/composted in favor of another couple rows.

all of the spinach we planted started, but half of it died the first time we got a good day of heat and direct sun and the ground dried out, so i put hay straw over the area. after 2 weeks, only ~6-7 starters remained (~2% of our combined rows planted, maybe). i kind of expected this with us being in the heat of summer, but ...

gave up, went to the store and picked up some mesclun mix (blend of greens), and went ahead and seeded this day before yesterday. came home last night, again, the ground was dry even though i watered well and tried pine straw this time (since hay straw didn't work that well).

long story short, i can't seem to keep my bed wet enough, and using pine straw or hay straw isn't working - does anyone have suggestions on how to actually start salad greens and other plants in early-to-mid summer?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer