SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
squirrellypete

My own squirrel deterrent method (image intensive)

squirrellypete
14 years ago

I have found the best squirrel deterents are a dog and a cat with strong hunting instincts. Between the two of them, the squirrels are obliged to stay on their side of the woodline most of the time, lest they perish. The dog chases away deer from my daylily field, raccoons and oppossums that try to raid my trash at night, and also my mother-in-law.....("Good dog"). The cat prefers mice, rabbits and squirrels...("Good cat"). And while I would love to have bird feeders around, that would be like inviting lambs to a slaughter so I opted not to do so. But I'll gladly trade my bird watching for "the terminator" of garden rodents any day.

Of course, I know cats and dogs may not be options for some urban or suburban gardeners but out here in the sticks they work like a charm.

A.J. (vicious, isn't he?)

Starbuck (aka "The Terminator")

This is one of those aforementioned birdhouses I won't be hanging lol! I actually entered this one in a Halloween pet photo contest last year. Placed in the top ten but darnit, we didn't win. I walked around the corner of my porch one day and almost busted out laughing when this was staring me in the face. Had to keep quiet though or I'd never get a good pic.

"Basket Case"

A.J. loves Starbuck. Some days it's mutual, somedays she could kill him with a look.

Hope ya'll enjoyed my babies.

Danielle

Comments (7)

Sponsored