SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Empty Scapes everywhere

newyorkrita
15 years ago

I guess it has to happen sooner or later but this bloom season has been so fabulous for me that I just don't want to face it. The daylilies are almost done. Now the old ones like ROCKET CITY, SPELLBINDER, LIME FROST and BOLD TIGER that have been here for years are in full bloom as they started late compaired to the newly planted stuff. But the majority of things planted both this year and last have scape after bloomed out scape as they are done. Yesterday many had their last flower open and today as I walked around looking at blooms, I deadheaded many a scape that now stands totally empty.

The evergreens that I planted last year started much earlier than the old dormants that I have had for years so really thats why they are mostly done. And the newer things planted this year are also mostly done now as being new plants they did bloom well but being so new you are not going to get the high budcounts and long time bloom season that an established daylily can do.

I am getting some rebloom scapes but so far the rebloom scapes I have are ones that are like the instant kind where another scape comes out of a fan that already has a currently blooming scape. I had never seen such a thing before this year and its really neat.

Now the thing is to wait and see if I get any of the more common kind of rebloom where the daylily rests a time and then sends out new scapes. I sure hope that happens around here.

Meanwhile there are things still blooming but since there was such a feast of glorious bloom earlier its just very few.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations