SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlndocs

Use less product

girlndocs
17 years ago

Seriously, guys. I'm consistently shocked at the overwhelming majority of products that can be used in amounts MUCH smaller than most of us are used to, and still work fine. And consistently surprised at how many people DON'T know this.

My frontloading washer is pretty dang water-efficient, true, and the recommendations for soap aren't huge amounts in the first place. But I only need about a teaspoon of detergent to get stuff clean. A TEAspoon. A quart jug of laundry liquid lasts us months. Now, maybe your washer uses more water than mine and therefore needs more soap. That's fine; My last washer was a behemoth that took a whopping two tablespoons of soap per load. That's one EIGHTH of a cup, contrasted with the half or third of a cup the product bottles recommended. I don't use fabric softener, but I've been told that using half as much of that works fine, and half a dryer sheet at a time too.

I think we all know that you don't need to glob an inch of toothpaste on your brush. Just a tiny smear is fine.

Shampoo and body wash are actually BETTER for your hair and skin (less drying) if you cut them at least half-and-half with water. Keep an old bottle of each so that when the new bottle comes in you can dilute it right away and have it handy. My experience is that the preservatives in the products are plenty to keep even the watered-down version from going bad. If you're worried, mix smaller batches at a time.

(And you know that if you have long hair, you don't shampoo the whole long length of it, right? You need a nickel-to-quarter-sized blob of shampoo for your scalp, which then gets rinsed down through the rest of your hair. You don't need crazy lather to get your hair clean.)

I personally use a mixture of one part Dr Bronner's liquid soap to 6 parts water or so, as body wash. If I use it on my hair, which I sometimes do, it's more like one part soap to twelve parts water.

Aftershave and mouthwash dilute fine too.

Conditioner, sadly, doesn't take kindly to being diluted, but if you prefer to cut down on the cost of it or on the petrochemical ingredients in it, you can mix two parts conditioner to one part honey and/or one part pure aloe juice. This has to be used up right away, as bacteria will breed in the extra sugars.

Storebought house cleaning products work fine diluted half and half or even 2:1. Or, use Dr Bronner's liquid soap or a generic equivalent (Trader Joe's makes one). You only need a teaspoon of soap to a quart of water.

We use so few products here anyway that I'm sure I'm missing at least a few. Any other experiences with products you can routinely use less of than the label calls for? REDUCE does come first in the "reduce, reuse, recycle" triad for a reason, after all.

Kristin

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions