SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

Shady Shrubs for moisture (that aren't too big)

girlgroupgirl
12 years ago

I'm most specifically asking Esh this question, but please chime in everyone!

We have a narrow side yard that is about 8' wide, and I would like to put a walkway down one side (closest to the fence, I think, over the French Drain) and against the house I would like to put some slighly raised beds and add shrubs, vines on the downspouts...it gets some sun during the day, but mostly shade. I think I particularly would like some native shrubs if at all possible however it would also be a nice spot for non-natives (it's a great location for daphne, and perhaps a korean spice viburnum (near windows, the scents would be appreciated). I can squeeze in a few taller shrubs, mostly shorter (under windows!!).

The retaining wall has a very very narrow space for some plants to grow in: on the fence some jesamine and jasmine (perhaps the variegated type, any variegated plants in this area would be lovely) and some more evergreen clematis. Trailing vinca and Lirope will probably fill in the edges and can creep to my neighbors yard. I'm putting a garden in on her side of the fence too.

I need a few more shrub suggestions and would like some natives that are not too wide (?).

Thanks!

GGG

Comments (6)

Sponsored