SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fagopher

Fountain or small pond??

fagopher
16 years ago

Hi All,

I am trying to plan my garden so I know what to plant and where and I would like to have your feedback on this...

I have a slope in my backyard (back of the house) and I was planning in creating a butterfly (and other animals) "watch spot". I was originally planning to include a small fountain or bird bath but (.. I am still changing my mind) now I want to consider a small pond. I already put a hold on some books from the library to learn more on this but I would like a real life experience on this...

I am a bit scared of snakes and I know it attracts them but it also attracts other animals (and I think that is fun..), I am also concerned on the maintenance, electricity expense and any other issues I might face.

thanks in advance

Comments (22)

• eileen_nv
    16 years ago

Where in FL do you live, and what other animals would you hope to see? A fountain, or birdbath with a dripper or spray will, of course bring lots of birds, and butterflies, too. Deer, rabbits, and squirrels, etc will come to plants, or seeds fallen from a feeder.

I don't know about snakes being attracted to a pond, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. What you will almost surely attract to a pond is raccoons. These guys are cute, and fun to watch, but they are also rather ill tempered,(Your dog or kitty should not try to challenge them)and they will tear your pond apart, looking to see if there might be anything to eat in there. One friend of mine ultimately had to cover her pond with a hardware cloth lid - not too aesthetic!

Just my experience - that is just a possible issue with a pond vs another water feature. If you don't have any plantings in the pond, and it is solidly bedded, maybe big rocks around the rim, then maybe raccoons won't be an issue.

I'm looking forward to other folks experiences, and hearing what you decide and how it works out. :-)

• gatormomx2
    16 years ago

Check out solar water fountain pumps or solar pond pumps .
    Even solar garden lamps would be fun around your water feature . We use ours when the power is gone - think hurricane season . Charge them in the sun all day and bring them in at night for free - although very dim - light . Safer than candles !

• Related Discussions

copper fountain and pond life

Q

Comments (1)
    Bumping this down. Brenda
    ...See More

Planting in wall of concrete pieces

Q

Comments (2)
    the wall faces north, and you get sun on it all day? man I knew michegan was weird, but... hens and chicks come in about 6 colors, and some of them flower if you're nice to them- so you might not want to discount them just yet... you have set a hard task for these plants- scorching summers, miserable winters, hard to irrigate, the whole works... I would pop in at the xeriscaping forum, honestly- or consider crown vetch- the clover like plant that they use for erosion control. the lavander flowers on the lacy green vine's quite pretty.
    ...See More

What makes a 'water source'? Recommendations?

Q

Comments (11)
    I have a 1500 gallon built-in wildlife pond w/ waterfall (moving water helps with attracting things) in my double lot yard. It attracts the local box turtles, tons of dragon flys & other insect as well as a myriad of birds. The most unusual is the sharp-shin hawk which has bathed there the past 2 winters. The squirrels & other local mammals also use it. We keep a red eared slider & a native mud turtle as well as native fish. We also have mosquito fish (gambusia) & have had no problems with mosquitos. We keep the fish in our rainbarrels too & they are equally free of larvae. It sounds like you have room & if so I would definitely advocate a pond. It does take some maintenance but I would say it can't be beat for wildlife attracting ability. If you do make one be sure to put in a shallow area for the birds to bathe in. We collect rainwater to fill ours & suplement with city water if absolutely neccesary.
    ...See More

Inherited Fountain

Q

Comments (3)
    Hello, Thanks for the reply. I have been busy planting hundreds of shrubs and trees. No, the thing does not have a pump. It has a copper fitting at the top for a hose that could attach to a pump. The structure is completely hollow and light in weight given it's size. What has me stumped is the fact that there is no water reservoir for a pump to go in to so it can re-circulate. Thanks, Mike
    ...See More
  • mikeyannie
    16 years ago

We have a small pond in our backyard which has been a real joy. Once in awhile a black racer will visit, but scoots as soon as I get near. Caught a Great Egret looking for lunch one day and have had armadillos making nocturnal visits. Our neighborhood hawk swoops over daily, but I've never seen it get close to the fishies. They are well hidden under the lilies.

Maintenance wise, I clean the filter once weekly and grab any string algae off the falls. In early Spring I vac out yuks. Pond plants and bacteria keep the water clear and when it gets low on H2O, I just replenish from our rain barrels. I don't have a clue about how much electricity the pump uses.

The only aggravating issue has been keeping leaves out of the water. We wised up last year and used netting throughout Fall and Winter.

We have lights up in a tree that shine down like moonlight on the water so we can enjoy it 24/7.

This is our first pond and if we were to do it over, we'd dig a bigger one.

• fagopher
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the responses so far... so I would like to add a question here..

I was thinking in a pond using the pre-built ponds from homedepot/lowes stores.. Would they last or eileen's racoons would break it?

Solar pumps and lights sounds great as I don't currently have electric outlet near

Btw.. I live in Oviedo-seminole and so far I have been lucky to see different kind of animals in the short time we have been in this house... so I hope to make it even better..

• bodiggly
    16 years ago

The preformed ponds are very durable. I have had my latest pond for about 7 years. So far, it is holding up very well. " Knock on Wood"!! The racoons won't hurt the pond, just your plants, etc.

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

If you have to worry about raccoons don't add fish! I once saw a beautiful huge goldfish(KOI) pond that the owner totally covered with black netting and electic wire because of the raccons eating his fish. Kinda took away the beauty.

• nativemel
    16 years ago

A neighbor of mine has theirs covered with hardware cloth because we have such a raccoon problem. Not the most attractive addition to the pond, but effective. They haven't lost any more fish.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

The main difference between a fountain and a pond is sound. A pond, unless it has a waterfall, makes no sound and is also a breeding ground for mosquitos.

Consider running electric out to the area, not only to run a good pump, but also for nighttime lighting.

• manature
    16 years ago

I would say start small, first, with a birdbath and dripper or mister. You can always relocate that if you decide to add a pond.

If you DO add a pond, things to consider would definitely include animals that might damage a vinyl liner. If you have raccoons (we don't have a problem with them here), you would surely want to go with the preformed liner. And you will probably want to have a circulating pump to keep the water fresh, and for fish.

The only thing that has ever eaten my fish at any of my houses (and I had ponds at each) was a neighbor's dog. Boy, was I mad! But if you think you might lose fish to raccoons or other predators, try having less conspicuous fish. Guppies, mollies, gambusia minnows, mosquito fish, etc, are small live bearers who will continue to populate the pond with new fishies. They aren't as colorful as goldfish, but they are still fun to watch. AND they are harder for animals to catch. (Wading birds might get a few, but the coons probably won't.)

Provide them with shelter and places to hide (like flower pots or pvc pipe in the bottom of the pond, and plenty of underwater plants). That will also help keep them safe. This works for goldfish, too. If the pond is deep enough, a 6" wide piece of clay or pvc pipe laid on the bottom in the middle gives the fish a place to scoot to when threatened. Normally, the predators won't wade in after them. It will definitely help keep even colorful fish safer.

If you do find a snake visiting your pond, the chances are VERY good it will be something completely harmless and interesting. Frogs will come, too, and they are fun to watch as well, especially leopard frogs.

Personally, I don't think a garden can have too many water features, so I'd so go for it. But again, if you aren't sure you want to commit yet, start with a birdbath/dripper combo, and work your way up from there.

Don't forget, you can have small container water gardens anywhere and those add a LOT to your garden, too.

Good luck!
    Marcia

• rick32817
    16 years ago

I agree with most of the responses. I've had ponds for a
    long time. Raccoons will only go into a pond as far as they can feel, if you have steep sides on most of the pond
    they won't go in. I would go with the vinyl liner, they are
    very durable, mold to whatever shape you want. I would also
    go almost as large as the area allows, once you get a pond
    you always want a bigger one. One area should have a gradual incline lined with sand and small stones for an
    area that birds and other wildlife will come to drink.
    As soon as I put water in my current pond, as small turtle
    showed up. Plants will protect fish. Instead of buying expensive goldfish, buy 'feeder' goldfish, you'll be surprised how beautiful they become. I live on the east side of Orlando, be glad to share pond plants with you.
    Go for it!

• sillybugs
    16 years ago

fagopher - i hope you dont mind me adding a question here!?

i dont know much about ponds, but always loved them..
    i was wondering how do you keep them from over flowing with the summer rains?

• nova_gw
    16 years ago

I have had two small ponds [100 gallons or less] in two different gardens and couldn't imagine not having one. I "flew by the seat of my pants" on creating both of them and both have had fish and plants. Here are some of my lessons learned in their construction -

1. Consider your source of water and electric. All ponds will need to have water added from time to time. If you want a pump and electrical source is needed.

2. Prefabs are nice but there are other alternatives that will work and save you $$$$. My first pond was made from a bathtub I salvaged from a friends bathroom remodel. My current pond is made from a 100 gallon livestock tub that is deep enough that I don't lose fish to predators.

3. My first pond was ground level and I quickly got tired of having to get down on my knees to tend it. My current pond has a bench around it so I can sit comfortably and visit or tend it.

4. Read what you can about ponds but take it with a grain of salt. A well balanced pond [plants, fish, and water movement] will take care of itself. I do have a homemade filter on my current pond but it is only for filtering out the bigger contaminates and reducing ammonia. I very rarely feed my fish and algae is only an occasional problem.

5. If you are nervous, start small. A washtub with a couple of plants and a guppy or two is easy and inexpensive.

6. BEWARE! Once you start adding water features to your gardens you will find yourself wanting more and bigger ones.

Here are pictures of the two "pondlets" I have built -

The Bath Tub Pond

{{gwi:176917}}

Sorry, Couldn't get it to resize!

My Current "Pondlet"

If I can help you in your project, feel free to e mail me and I will do my best to enable you!

nova

• garyfla_gw
    16 years ago

hi
    have kept ponds since 1982 and would highly recommend "above ground" for florida. Be sure you put it where you can access all sides. Preforms are okay but you will spend as much money as a pool with more features.
    Decide first what you want it for. If you want fish and plants think bigger a gurgling fountain think smaller.
    A garden in florida without a water feature is a waste IMO. Can't imagine running one where there is ice and snow!!!! gary

• manature
    16 years ago

I have never had any trouble with an in-ground pond in Florida, and always figured it is just a matter of personal taste or preference. An above ground pond is nice to sit along the edge of, as Nova mentioned, but an inground pond has a more natural feel to it, if landscaped properly. For me, it's not an either/or situation. I plan to do both here, as I'm going to have more than one water feature by the time I'm finished.

I love galvanized troughs, tubs, and old bathtubs and sinks, too. I'm sure one of my water gardens will include one. But my main pond is going to be in-ground, with a short, curvy stream connecting the low waterfall to it.

Anna and Goldenpond both have fabulous BIG in-ground ponds. Maybe they can share some pictures here to give you ideas. And you've seen Nova's above ground ponds. Gary, can you share some pictures of yours? Lots of ideas available to choose from, depending on the look you want. All are doable.

Marcia

• gatormomx2
    16 years ago

My problem is also lack of electricity . So how do I use the galvanized tubs I have as a water feature without electric power ?
    I get the fish/plants idea of natural filtration but how do you keep a tub from turning into a stagnant mosquito infested mess ?
    I have bird baths with river plants in them and I still get mosquito larvae .

• manature
    16 years ago

Gatormom, I have container water gardens all over the place. They never turn into stagnant, mosquito infested messes. Once you have the plants balanced (not hard to do) and a couple of guppies in them, they are good to go. The guppies eat the mosquito larva, and the oxygenating plants keep the water relatively clear. You can top it off every other day or so, or even run it over a bit, if you want to change out some of it. I never use pumps or filters on my urns and tubs that I raise pond plants in.

Here are a few pictures for you to see what I mean:

This is a large, galvanized tub that I keep taro, rush, papyrus and dwarf water lilies in. I add black food coloring to make the water look deeper and more reflective. It also keeps algae growth down.

This is an urn I had a potted canna in last year. You can see that I had hornwort floating in the water. (You can buy it at any aquarium place, including PetSmart.) It is a good oxygenator, and it gives the baby guppies (and there are always baby guppies) somewhere to hide.

Here is the canna I'm growing in the urn this year.

It really is not as hard as you might think, and during the summer, it is especially nice, because the plants never wilt or dry up. I plan to add several more container water gardens around the yard this year. I'm going to sink a big black tub in the ground and grow a lotus in it.

Marcia

• nativemel
    16 years ago

Marcia,

The guppies are ok with you adding chlorinated water right from your garden hose or do you use a non-chlorinated water source?

• manature
    16 years ago

Melissa, I have well water in addition to our city water. I only use well water in my yard. But if I had to add city water to the container gardens, I would fill a pail and add Zip drops to it (or another brand) to dechlorinate it first, OR you can let the "make up" water sit in a container for 24 to 48 hours before adding it, and the chlorine will evaporate. Same as you would with an aquarium.

Marcia

• fagopher
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow... I never imagine there are fishes in that pot.. are they hard to maintain.. feeding, changing water, or you just put them into it and make sure water level is ok and forget about them?

What about winter? No big deal in Fl?

thanks

• manature
    16 years ago

No, yes, and no problem!

Seriously...they are not hard to maintain at all if you choose the right fish. Guppies, minnows, gambusias, and mollies are easy, though the big mollies will jump. I never change the water. Just top it off, and occasionally run it over until it has been refreshed by about 1/3. I throw a bit of fish food in now and then, but they eat a LOT of bugs and mosquito larva and don't need as much as they would in a tank. Winter is no big deal here.

If you have a container large enough for goldfish, they will work, too, but summer is hard on them. The heat bothers them much more than the cold, as it lowers the oxygen in the water. But I've had them in some of my containers and in all of my ponds with no problem.

As someone suggested earlier, I often by "feeder fish" when I get goldfish, IF the tank looks healthy. Oftentimes feeder fish have a "hollow belly" look, and that is an illness that won't reverse. But cheap goldfish turn out very pretty. And a few fancier ones are nice too, especially in a pond with filtration. They will work more places than you realize, but your BEST bet in a container garden is guppies.

Marcia

• manature
    16 years ago

I forgot to mention, if you don't want to do the fish thing, you can still have the container water gardens. Just break off a small piece of a "mosquito dunk" and float in the container periodically. It will kill the mosquito larvae and won't hurt anything else that might drink out of the container, like birds or your dog.

Marcia

• garyfla_gw
    16 years ago

Hi
    An often overlooked function of a water garden is storage of rainwater. You can have a gigantic container right out in the open and nobody suspects it's actually a "rainbarrel lol. With the right sized pumps you can water all your terrests. As a side benefit you get a self cleaning pond . i hooked up my 5x10 pool with a 150 gallon aquarium so now have 1200 gallons of good water!! A place to grow the submerged aquatics keep my fancy fish and the cleanest lily pond ever lol. There have been a few problems .During a two inch rain it ran 700 gallons of water through the aquarium in less than an hour. Nothing harmed but had some seasick fish for awhile.lol.
    I added heat two years ago as I want to keep some very tropical fish and as a side benefit was hoping to get some passive heat for the SH. Worked but not as well as I'd hoped. gary