SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
farmerbell

NOIDs are pretty too!

15 years ago

Poor babies - no name, yet they just bloom their hearts out. The first 4 are seedlings from a hybridizer that were not considered good enough to introduce so he sold them.

A

B

C

D

E - This one has a name, but I lost the tag.

Post your NOIDS here if you would like.

Ann

Comments (30)

• 15 years ago

I like yours, especially that 2nd one. My noids aren't as pretty as yours, although I have one I neglected to get a picture of.
    I got this one as South Seas, the color is really hard to catch in a photo,but it doesn't look right & the size of the flower isn't as big as catalogs say it is supposed to be.
    {{gwi:768316}}
    Here is one I got from a local nursery, I "think" it is a seedling. It blooms heavily for quite a while & makes a nice show for a plain daylily
    {{gwi:854967}}
    Finally this odd colored one, white with rose/pink coloring that looks like it was sprayed on, sort of stippled.
    {{gwi:847133}}

• 15 years ago

Your right the NOIDs are pretty as well here are a few of mine

Dianna

• Related Discussions

Pretty NOID, Deformed Doubles and others

Q

Comments (19)
    Wow, I love that red fruit too. I like the double noid but I like anything that blooms, lol. I found a chrysalis on my passion flower vine and one of the cats is missing so I guess he will be a butterfly soon~ yeah lol. How long does it take? I hope the other one hurries up. He's fat enough already and I don' have too many leaves left, lol. I like the dark goldfish too. I thought my blackish one was dead I hadn't seen it in so long but he is hard to spot and waits for the food to sink unlike the other little pigs that sit with their mouths open waiting for the food to fall from my fingers, lol
    ...See More

and a pretty noid

Q

Comments (3)
    yeah, an asiatic ⦠but it is one of my first burst of colors this year ⦠and it was purdy ...
    ...See More

My new mini NOIDS but the are pretty.

Q

Comments (10)
    Hi Rosie, I do think it's a trailer. I took a close look to see how to "tame" it but it really looks like a trailer so I will let it be for now. :)
    ...See More

Hosta NOID 2017

Q

Comments (54)
    StevePa I checked out all the sports in the Loyalist, Pathfinder, Revolution family and found Woop Woop which is a Pathfinder sport. It looks like a possibility. Then I found some Whirlwind sports Cyclone & Oreo Cream. They are also in the running? Lee I checked out Royal Tiara and read that it is chartreuse & white but there are similarities . The pic you posted looks very much like the coloration of mine so I will continue to explore the sports. steve duggins I will explore that Apple Court avenue as well. My eyes were going buggy last night so I will continue today. Thanks all. sandyslopes I think because of the corrugation GE is a possible contender in the gene pool. It is most worthy seedling either way. It will be interesting to see its growth. Here is another shot of my NOID at the end of June with Gemstone & Curly Fries in front, Summer Squall & Choo Choo Train behind. All the plants are on their 3rd yr. This will hopefully help from a size perspective.
    ...See More
  • 15 years ago

Oh I got one, have no clue what it is, but its red!

-Jessica

• 15 years ago

Another one...

• 15 years ago

One more... I bought this one and placed its name tag close to the clump when I planted it and now the clump has expanded so much that the name tag is hidden and I don't remember its name. Maybe someone will recognize it. One bloom polytepaled.

Ann

• 15 years ago

Wow, your no IDs are gorgeous. I didn't take pictures of mine because I figgure I wasn't going to be posting them but you have the right idea. A pretty daylily is a pretty daylily.

• 15 years ago

Here are some of my noids.. Name them if you can...Ellie

{{gwi:854984}}

This one is usually doubled and very pretty then..

{{gwi:854986}}

{{gwi:831142}}

{{gwi:854988}}

{{gwi:854989}}

{{gwi:854990}}

{{gwi:854991}}

{{gwi:854992}}

This is a huge bloom!

{{gwi:854993}}

{{gwi:854994}}

• 15 years ago

Ellie if number 3 is a short plant, with a bloom about 8-10", it could be Mynelles Starfish.

Tom

• 15 years ago

Ellie, I don't think you should keep your last NOID. Please send it north to TN. Seriously, whatever it is, it is a beautiful daylily.

Ann

• 15 years ago

Tom, funny you should mention Mynelle's Starfish. That was my first thought when I saw that picture too. Mine has not bloomed yet but Ellie's picture looks like some I saw while researching it this winter.

Here is my first NOID again, not as pretty as some of yours but a vibrant "golden oldie" all the same. It is beginning to grow on me.

I'll have another NOID open tomorrow and more in a couple weeks. Bought some leftovers from the club sale a few years ago before I really got interested in DL.

• 15 years ago

Wow, some beautiful NOIDs for sure! Lovely photos everyone.

Here are 3 of my lost tag loves ~

This golden one is 7 to 8 inches across
    {{gwi:854946}} Naturally I'm intrigued by this eye...
    This one is a TRUE lavender to my eyes.
    Most of my photos of this one don't catch the darker eye.

All three are welcome additions to my garden because of their unusual & vibrant colors. Enjoy, marea

• 15 years ago

Ann on your third post, I do not recognize it, but I do have a recommendation. When you dig it up to send me a start of it, look for the lost tag. Whether or not you find it, I'll still have room in my garden for that beautiful NOID.

Tom

• 15 years ago

Guess time! OK
    Ann, the last pic on your first post looks sort of like Siloam Merle Kent to me. The pink double on your third post looks like Dublin Elaine. Not sure about the orange one, color similar to Mauna Loa, but not quite the form. Very pretty though.
    Ellie - The fourth pic down looks like Siloam Fairy Tale, 7th pic looks like Bogie and Becall.
    Debra - your yellow bloom looks like Jersey Spider to me
    Marea - The second pic of the eyed lily looks like Thais.
    Hopefully I guessed close for you guys! -Jessica

• 15 years ago

Jessica, I'll have to look up Jersey Spider. Is it a short one? Hard to tell if this will be taller since it was a first year plant from bare root. It is only 6-8 in scape with 4.5" flower.

Here is the one that opened today. Funny, it is a much different flower than I remember from last year. Probably because I got my water system in.

It is 22" scapes and 5" flower. Last year I would have called it gold and it was much more recurved as I recall, this year I think it is more of a banana yellow and I really notice the cream midrib.

• 15 years ago

I had some really pretty no IDs open yesterday but the pictures I took of todays no IDs weren't too exciting so no big deal. I would never throw out a daylily that I liked just because I lost the tag.

• 15 years ago

Nice No ID's!!

Ellie - your 4th one looks a lot like Pixie Paint Brush to me... do you know it is a Siloam? S. Fairy Tale looks close too...

• 15 years ago

Gosh I love NOIDs.
    These are all beautiful.

Ann,
    Your C, could it be Double Pink Peony? It's really beautiful. So is the last double that you posted. I don't have a clue as to what that is, but I LOVE it.

Ellie,
    Could your 4th one be Exotic Kiss?

Thanks to everyone who has posted NOID pics.

Lrae

• 15 years ago

Good Lord! I'd rather have some of you'alls noids than my named ones. Joela

• 15 years ago

LOL Joela!

Thank you for starting this post with your beauties, Ann.
    As a result I got all 3 of mine re-identified! *grin*

And thanks for the ID, Jessica. That IS 'Thais'.
    My lavender one is 'Beyond The Blue' and the big gold is 'Chicago Sunrise'.
    Happy dancing back out to the garden, marea

• 15 years ago

I'll be posting one of my NOIDs tomorrow when it blooms. I just bought and it is loaded with buds that I couldn't resist - even though the nursery had no idea what it was!

Oh, and this is why I'm buying plant markers! :)

By the way, these are gorgeous!

• 15 years ago

Ellie if your second unknown that is usually double is very fragrant, it might be vanilla fluff.

• 15 years ago

This is my favorite no ID. I can rember when I planted it about ten years ago and thought it was so hot. Now I have lots of orange daylilies but I still like it.

• 15 years ago

Jessica, I do believe it's SFT. I had that one at one time along with about 5o other Siloams. I wasn't sure about which one it was. The dbl with the red halo doesn't have enough of the flame color. They call theirs an eye. I call mine a halo . Also mine has a slight buff edge to it. It really is a lovely dbl though..

Lrae, not EK but thank you!

Michelle, it isn't PPB although when I looked that one up, I really liked the description. Thanks...

Ann, Thank you.. I just might send you some of that noid...

Helen, it is fragrant but it isn't VF. I have VF and this one is much darker in color...In fact, I found last years photo..
    {{gwi:646080}}

Ann, your pink dbl, could it possibly be Dublin Elaine. She changes so much from bloom to bloom that you really can't tell.

Another NOID for you..this one is very beautiful too!!

{{gwi:646078}}

BTW, my #3 pic isn't Mynelle's Starfish. I have that one and she is more creamy, peachy than this clear yellow. At least here, she is. Thanks you all for your tips...Ellie

• 15 years ago

Jessica,
    I looked up Jersey Spider. It is not a match. The pictures on Tinkers look more yellow than mine plus it was listed as quite tall. My first NOID above is really more orange than yellow (I know that is sometimes hard to tell on monitors) and it is a shorty. I remeasured the scape this morning. It is 5". It might grow a little taller with a year or two in the garden but I would not expect it to go from 5" to 30".

I agree though that Jersey Spider was very close in form, very similar flower. I looked at it's babies and they were all too tall. So I did a custom query on Tinkers and came up with these potentials based on descriptions but none had pictures to compare (so if anyone grows these & can rule them in/out please let me know):
    Ruth Travis DIP
    Loveland 1987

Ankle Duster DIP
    KREKLER 1966

Golden Chariot DIP
    MCFARLAND 1971

Rita, your NOID orange IS very pretty. It would stay in my garden too.

Ellie, your doubles are so gorgeous!

On my second NOID when I came home from work last night I noticed it had more of the orange-gold cast that I remembered from last year plus the edges had faded to give it a pretty cream edge that matches the midrib.

I'm with Joela on this. Some of these NOIDs are prettier than some of my named varieties!

• 15 years ago

Here is one of those I've been waiting for. I bought this in 2004 DL club sale. It was one of the left-overs in the red pile and simply labeled "surprise"

This is the first year I had good water to it so it rewarded me with first bloom. Poor thing tried to open yesterday but we had a cool night so it didn't quite make it. Then a hot day that burned its frilly edges to a crisp. Still pretty though. Hope I can catch a picture on one of its better days coming up.

Stats: 21 inch scape, 4.75 in bloom, mid-season, 3-4 way branching 15 buds.

Any ideas?

Oh, and on my yellow NOID posted above, does anyone grow 'Mary Todd'? I was wondering if it might be that.

• 15 years ago

One more today. This was another grab bag at the local club sale. Looks like a golden oldie. Love the glowing throat. This is FFO in my garden. Scape is about 22 inches and the flowers are about 4.5 inches. Anyone recognize it?

• 15 years ago

Here is a picture of a very yellow No ID daylily blooming in my front yard. I can remember when I bought this potted locally about 8 years ago. After I planted it some years later I planted some shrubs closeby and as the shrubs grew they shaded the daylily and it stopped blooming. Have been thinking for years that I need to move it. Finially moved it this spring and put it in the relocation garden. By this time I had totally forgotten what it looked like as it had not bloomed in so long.

• 15 years ago

Pretty and cheerful one Rita. It reminds me of Hyperion but doesn't look to be as tall.

I really do love these NOIDs whether they have a name or not.

I discovered today that my yellow is fragrant. Guess I had not paid attention on a warm day before. And, though it appears to be fertile both ways I'm still trying to figure out ploidy as it set pod from diploid pollen but its pollen set a pod on a tet. Pat Stamile suggests that means it is a tet and the diploid pods will die before making viable seed but someone else pointed me to an article that suggests if the pods do produce viable seed I may have a diploid that produces unreduced gametes so is able to pollinate tets. Time will tell.

Here are some better pix of my Red and "surprise". Those posted previously were FFO and both are showing themselves a little better.

Form is improved on the red. I think that "surprise" can't decide whether to be red or purple but it definitely prefers to be blochy...LOL

Both have huge pollen so I suspect they are tets but will cross w/both tet/dip just to be sure.

• 15 years ago

I have a few no ids too, will have to wait until they bloom to work out what they are, last winters storms sent labels flying.

• 15 years ago

Yippee! Finally got an ID for "Surprise"!!

I went to this year's dl club sale and they had moved it to one of the display gardens. There it was blooming in the back of the garden.

When I bought it the bag had one part of the name missing...it is 'Plum Surprise' (Houston, 1996).

Theirs was not at all splotchy like mine so I hope that it will improve next year or maybe I need to treat it for thrips (?)