SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ispahan

Anyone fond of Aglaia odorata?

Okay, I admit it. I have had a lot of fragrant houseplant flings over the past few years. A few one-night stands, and several more lengthy affairs lasting a season or even a year or two. Many of these plants are now long gone or at least no longer enchant me the way they once did. I guess the old adage about familiarity breeding contempt may be at least partially true.

But I have a few plants that have been with me for quite a long time now. In spite of mood swings, grey winter days, not enough sun, too much sun, neglectful watering, etc., they are always just "there" and always manage to produce a scented bloom...or dozens.

Right now I keep coming back to Aglaia odorata. Of all the plants I have ever grown, Aglaia is not the most heavily scented nor is it the most visually stunning. But the fragrance is strong enough that it wafts and catches you by surprise and it is one of the most hauntingly pure, sweet and addictive I have ever known a flowering plant to produce. It grows slowly but steadily and is always covered with deep green, glossy foliage. It can bloom in any season regardless of light levels, humidity or temperature. I have never known it to have root rot (though I managed to kill one once by failing to water it for more than a month while out of town) or spider mites or fungal diseases. It doesnÂt pout when you prune it or move it to a new location. It doesnÂt need to be repotted constantly and it does not demand a constant regimen of trace elements to keep the leaves from going chlorotic. And that ethereal, amazing scent is always there, day or night, sun or shade.

I have other plants that please me, too, but none quite so easy as Aglaia. My little Murraya paniculata, for instance, is currently blooming on the windowsill. It is beautiful to look at and even more beautiful to smell. But it is a hog for sunlight and nutrients and is more likely to drop foliage and whimper for a while if you donÂt pamper it to its liking. My Hoya obscura is another faithful bloomer with probably the smoothest and most easy-to-live-with scent in the hoya world, but it sometimes suffers from root rot if I get busy and my watering schedule becomes erratic, and then I have to restart the whole shebang from cuttings.

Does anyone else here grow Aglaia? What have been your experiences growing this wonderful plant?

Comments (16)