SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whodovoodoo

'Some kind of Jasmine' needs help.

whodovoodoo
15 years ago

I have no idea what kind of plant this guy is. I rescued it from sweltering Home Depot heat this summer, where someone had taken it from inside and bought it outisde, then I suppose decided they didn't want it anymore and left it with the bricks. The guy who was working there said it was "some kind of Jasmine" and that I could have it.

It was mostly dead at that point, but now it's made a full recovery. I had it outside for a lot of the summer, relaxing underneath my (enormous) butterfly bush, which it seemed to really enjoy, since it was throwing out flowers like nobody's business. They were never in clusters; just singular white flowers, sometimes in pairs or trios.

I gave him some Liquid Miracle Gro Houseplant food back in early September, and after that he gave a few more flowers, then started growing...profusely, at best. It's since doubled in size.

However, he's been acting a little peculiar lately. When new leaves grow, then sometimes get stuck underneath older, thicker leavers, and they grow with these strange bends in them. It doesn't seem to affect the health of the leaf at all, but I figure this has something to do with the fact that he needs to be pruned. I just don't know how to do it. There are five separate (or at least I think they're separate) plants. Do I cut between leaves (all of the leaves grow in little symmetrical couples, and the stem continues growing up from between these) or just cut one leaf or what?

Another weird issue is that some of the new leaves, once they've formed and are the same color as the old leaves, tend to droop a little bit. It's not that it doesn't have enough water (though it was in a western-facing window where it got quite a lot of direct sun, which it did not like; I've since amended that). I don't know if that's just now they grew or what, but they almost look like there's an invisible piece of string pulling the leaves closer to the stem.

One final thing that has me more concerned than anything is that sometimes, I find very small dead new growth. It's very peculiar. It's never a dead leaf or anything, but the very tip of some of the stems turns brown and shrivels back to the base of the couplet that preceeded it. I don't know if this is the plant trying to prune itself or what, but it has me really concerned! Eep.

Sorry for being so lengthy. I'm just very, very fond of this plant (have I mentioned it hasn't flowered for me once yet? poo!) and I'd like for it to be healthy and happy.

Comments (3)