SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluedaisy52

80 Year Old Gloxinia--Need Advice Please

bluedaisy52
10 years ago

I have a beautiful purple Gloxinia plant that I 'inherited' from my Mother-In-Law last year. It is over 80 years old give or take a few years. My Mother-In-Law has had this plant for over 60 years and she had received it from her Aunt who had it for about 20 years before that.

It has always been in an old clay pot with just regular dirt (see photo below) and has never been transplanted. It blooms every summer and when the blooms are done for the season my Mother-In-Law would cut the plant off even with the dirt and put in a cool dark room. When it started to grow in the Spring she would put it back out near a South window.

I am so afraid if I do anything different⦠I will end up killing the plant that has been in my Hubby's family for so long! I would like to try to propagate this Gloxinia just in case this plant does not survive in my care but am not sure how and when the best time to do it would be. I am afraid to repot it since it has always been in the same pot.

I would appreciate any advice on how to propagate this Gloxinia in order to keep the plant goingâ¦.hopefully for many more years!

Comments (36)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio