SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane_in_bristol

Nature Girl throws up her hands and gets Marathon...

jane_in_bristol
21 years ago

Well, I finally did it. I was at the local AVSA Show & Sale and John from Cape Cod Violetry was there. Our Jon D has recommended Marathon, a systemic insecticide, available from the fine folks of CCV, and I finally just got some. I've had the unending mealie bug mystery since last fall. I wash the plants, I'm patrolling with alcohol and cotton swabs constantly, I've sprayed, cleaned, examined, soaked and repotted to no end. I've used soap, and alcohol, and lots and lots of elbow grease. But the sheer number of plants means I can't be everywhere all the time. I suppose it could be considered "under control", as its not rampant, just patchy. But each time I turn around, there are a few more of the beasties trying to settle in on something else...... I'm beginning to suspect they have a central command that gives the word.... "OK guys, she's eradicating everyone in the living room today, so we'll run covert operations in the kitchen..." I cannot spend this much time "patrolling". I need to work, and try to have a social life, too! The final straw came when I actually found some in a lesser known terrarium begonia (Do they know how to lift the glass? Or did they seize the opportunity when I had the lid off after rearranging a bit? It was not that long a time frame, how the h#&& did they get in there?). It never fully recovered, and I have now reached the point where I decided to give in and get a systemic. I have been SO resistant to any chemical controls in my household. I even get low-impact cleaning products, or use vinegar, etc...... I'm really peeved that I have to do this. I've always been sort of "nature girl", and I am reluctant to bring in powerful chemicals.

But, the guy with the Marathon was there, he gave me the spec sheets on the product, and it does sound like it has lower toxicity than most products out there. Jon raves about its effectiveness, and so I will use it on the plants that just seem to be magnets for it, and their neighbors.

*Heavy Sigh*. Wish me luck!

-Jane

Comments (23)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!