SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mk87_gw

Any Astilbe Experts Here?

mk87
14 years ago

Planted my first astilbes last year (wow...they aren't cheap, but they were SO gorgeous!) and thought they were in a shady enough location. But, after a couple of weeks' blooming, they did appear to shrivel and dry up. (They had been well-watered by the way.) I assumed the location had been too bright for them after all. So, no one was more surprised than me, when this past weekend, I saw ALL five of the plants up and leafy and looking ready to shoot up bloom stalks.

What gives?

Was I maybe mistaken and was the "shrivel-y dry-looking" issue just their normal, dying off for the rest of the year?

Or should I move them to what I think might be an even deeper-shade locale? And, if so, should I move them now, or wait until they bloom?

Or, did they just need some extra time to get acclimated and maybe they will do better this year?

I'm REALLY excited about them being up and alive, after all; but I'm prepared for the cold, hard, truth; if you tell me that it's probably just going to be the same routine this year.

Thanks, in advance...

Comments (21)

Sponsored