SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mayland_gw

how do you keep mondo grass contained?

mayland
16 years ago

Well, we ripped out some massive areas of ivy last winter and thankfully nothing is sprouting back up, so I think we are winning the ivy battle.

We have several areas of mondo grass, which we are OK with keeping (at least for now), but, the mondo is starting to escape its boundaries and is sprouting up all over the adjacent areas we had removed the ivy from (which I'm currently trying to transform into shrub/perennial beds).

I've started to pull the straying mondo, but it is harder to clear than the ivy was! It breaks off as I pull it, so I know I am leaving the roots behind. Its a big area so I am really trying to avoid having to dig it all over to pull the roots out! To complicate it further, I have put several shrubs in, which now have mondo around them.

How do you go about keeping your mondo nicely contained in its area? If i trim the edge of the mondo bed with one of those trimmer machines, will the severed strays then die down? Or would I need to cover them to kill them off? i read the tablecloth thread - how long would it take to kill them, and can I place my "cover" in between the shrubs that I have already planted?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting