SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barb_bronze

Potted pelargonium sprouting new leaves and buds in December?

barb_bronze
19 years ago

I salvages this small plant in August from the trash. I never saw it bloom, I have no idea what kind it is, and it was half dead. I repotted it, stuck it outside in a place where it only got some sun for the next few months, and it started to look healthy.

Once the mornings started to dip towards freezing, I brought it onto the open porch, where it sat in full shade, in mostly cool to chilly weather for the next few months. When freezing morning temps were warned a few weeks ago, I threw a sheet on it and forgot all about it.

I just removed the sheet to finally bring the plant inside, and there are lots of new leaves and three clusters of buds. Now I think this is weird. Does it think it's a Christmas cactus? LOL!

I can understand a plant putting out buds trying to propogate under severe circumstances, but this one also has healthy new leaves. It's not leggy at all (yet).

First question: Naturally, I'm not complaining. I'm just curious. Is this normal behavior? It was deprived of light and water for weeks and the result is new, healthy growth.

It's pretty warm and dry in my apartment, and not too much light. I'm not sure how well it will do in here, and I don't have the basement/garage, etc. that I've read about here for over-wintering plants, so I have to try to keep it as a houseplant.

Second question: Would I be doing my plant a favor by just cutting off these buds now that it's environment has radically changed? Or should I just let it go and see what happens?

Thanks a lot.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH