SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mk87_gw

Rock Garden in the Front Yard...Scandalous! (Long post)

mk87
16 years ago

OK, I am going over to the Rock Garden forum to get some help with this also, but first I wanted to post it here, because I know you will all understand what I am going through. (Bear with me...I just need some advice and emotional support here!) :)

We have a very sprawl-y (sorry, that's just the best word to describe it) country ranch home. It was originally a very plain-Jane, Brady-bunch-y thing and we added onto it. (We are actually STILL not finished with the inside and it could use some shutters/trim on the outside, but that's a problem for another support group, right? Hahaha...) The lot is just shy of an acre, which is nice. And, we are on the corner (well, there's some woods before you get to our house, but that's it). The house sits almost smack dab in the middle of the lot, which means it sits fairly far back from the road...which means a LOT of grass, if we were to have left it like that.

We didn't.

We cut out a pretty fair size kidney shape in the center, for St. Augustine (my favorite) and have beds all around it. The area of the bed closest to the street encompasses the ubiquitous culvert that we all love, with a slight incline up toward the street (no curb of course...just fades into the asphalt..."lovely" @@), and OF COURSE one of the neighborhood's huge electrical boxes.

(BTW, it has just occurred to me that I need to post some pix here and I will try to take some over the weekend, if we don't get too much rain...and post them.)

My husband and I decided that a rock garden in that area could be really helpful, tying in all of the weird culvert/electrical box/incline areas; so we started this last year. My problem is this: limited time/funds. I am the main gardener (as hubby is focused on finishing the inside of the house) and I'm working as fast as I can, but it's slow going as you might imagine. And, it's RIGHT there in the front of my house by the street. So, everybody sees every thing, all the time. Now, it's not an exclusive neighborhood...very mid-range. Most of the houses are country ranch. And, I believe a rock garden is well-suited to the home style. But, I am dealing with feeling some significant embarrassment digging in...what looks to the neighbors like...mud, dirt, rock and weeds...as it's taking shape.

On the end (and BTW, this rock garden area is about 140 feet long and fronts the kidney shaped grass, so looks a little like a crescent...fat on both ends...a little narrower in the middle) is the mailbox end. That's where I'm going crazy, enjoying putting in smaller things like the sedums and candytuft, miniature alpine-types, grasses etc. More smaller rocks (in the 50-100 lb range) and more different plants. There is also 1 Natchez crape myrtle. I have planted parson's and blue pacific junipers as you move toward (and all the way across) the middle of the crescent. As you get toward the electrical box end, I plan a large boulder or two, more larger junipers (I have a blue point and several saybrook gold in there now). I also already have 3 more Natchez crape myrtles there.

As I say, it is slow going. I love gardening, but I feel like drivers are slowing down and staring over the tops of their sunglasses as they go by. I smile and wave and try not to let it bother me. But, this is Georgia. And...well...you know. They are all looking at me like, "Why don't you just put out your hollies and euonymous and go back inside like the rest of us?" :)

I feel weird. I am sort of hoping that, as it grows in, and looks better...people will "get it" that, "Wow...she doesn't have to water as much as we do!" But, until then, I just feel weird and it's somewhat ruining my enjoyment of the process. Which is stupid and I KNOW that it's stupid, because why should I care what they think? But, that's easier said than done sometimes.

Anyway, just looking for some moral support and/or advice. And, also, in case anyone is a rock garden afficionado, I could use some hints on trying to make it not look so horribly "unfinished" while I'm finishing it. After all, this could take another year or two to really start looking like something. (I hesitate to say "expert," because I have read some rock garden "expert" articles on the Web and apparently, my rock garden is not going to conform to the "correct" way to do it or whatever. I didn't realize when I started this that there were so many "rules" for "correct alpine gardening." Style and such. I mean, I am using all the same kind of rock and trying to keep them all running in the same direction and trying to bury most of them a little, for a natural look, but I am not trying to win any awards here.)

Comments (27)

Sponsored