SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socalsister_gw

X Post: Stone Experts (long post): Clause Standard?

socalsister
13 years ago

I realize that this is the kitchen forum (I've also posted in the bath forum), but many of you seem to have an abundance of knowledge that I hope you will share...

History: We had honed carrara marble counters and tub deck installed in our master bath. Prior to install, the slabs were in great condition per our inspection. After the install, there were various nicks, scratches, and scrapes (from using a razor blade to clean up--scratching the surface in the process) in the material coupled with an overall poorly executed install (tub deck cut so crooked that the gap was too big to cover with a backsplash--had to cut deck into the wall to straighten, crooked sinks, two different colored caulks--blue-gray and white, huge chips in backsplash filled in sloppily with expoxy). The fabricator was doing the install--IN THE DARK!! until I offered him a light. Overall, not impressive. Despite all this, I have hit my limit with this remodel (almost the one year mark with no bathroom upstairs!!). I wanted to get the bathroom done and was willing to live with it. DH was not happy at all and called in a marble repair expert to quote us what it would cost to properly fix the mistakes. The expert said it was the worst install he had seen, but he refused to touch the job since the counter also had a crack in it. The company handling our job agreed to replace the material but asked that we pick a different material other than marble since it is difficult to work with. The downside is that we have a marble basketweave floor--and I really love the marble. Long story longer. We selected Super White granite (stone yard insisted it is granite--I believe it is the quartzite I've seen on GW). We requested a different fabricator, but we are stuck with the same one. The fabricator supposedly approved 4 slabs of the Super White for me to choose from. Well, 3 seemed ok, but one had a huge crack (about 2 feet long--about a half inch wide--very visible on the back of the slab but not as wide on the front). The fabricator insisted this was a fissure, not a crack. I selected from the other 3 slabs. When I show up at the shop to template, there is now a crack that needs to be avoided on the bottom third of one slab (we need 2 for the job)! So much for approving the slabs!! This particular 'granite' seems to have many 'fissures' in it and I am at my wits end. Now (reason for this post), I am being asked to sign the following clause. Is this clause standard? I am so reluctant to sign off given the previous experience I have had with this fabricator (we didn't sign anything the first time). Is this boilerplate or will I regret signing?

______(initial) "granite, marble and/or engineered stone is a natural material and will vary in polish, color, structure, and movement.

That inherent in these materials are visible fissures, pits, and inclusions that are not flaws in the stone. Fissures are very tiny hairline crevices in the stone surface; pits are surface air gaps created during rock formation that are revealed when slabs are cut and polished; and inclusions are clusters of mineral deposits of any color also created during rock formation. That fissures, pits, and inclusions are present through the entire thickness of the slab and that pieces may not match seam to seam due to movement of color and thickness of material. Also that material thickness can vary up to 1/4"

I have read and understand the above. By initialling the point I have agreed to the terms and conditions above.

________________ ________________

Customer Signature Date

Comments (3)