SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natives_and_veggies

pidgeon pea trees

Someone gave me a few pidgeon peas at Trini's swap awhile back. I was told they would produce in the summer. Planted them last spring (march 2010.)

Well they were happy and healthy and didn't produce. But they weren't in the way so I left them there.

Now they produce. A lot. Started a few months ago. And they've become small trees. Seriously! I planted them in tomato cages and they ignored them. One completely uprooted its cage, which now stands off the ground sideways around it. Funny! And they truly are tree-shaped, with a central trunk that branches a few feet off the ground. They're about five-feet high.

I'm not sure how long they will continue to produce, but I'm beginning to wonder if they are biennials or maybe even perennials. They survived last summer so I'm thinking about leaving them there to see if they a) produce through this summer or b) survive this summer and produce again next winter/spring.

And they produce these gorgeous wine red peas that, when cooked turn kind of gray. But when cooked with rice, they turn the rice lavender. Okay, that's a little odd, though I suspect my three-year-old niece will love them. I added a healthy dose of tumeric to mitigate the color. And they're tasty!

They're a bit hard to shell because the pods are kind of sticky, with little hairs. I suspect that's why they've survived in my no-pesticide yard. They clearly have some built-in defenses.

Anyone remember if you're the donator of these interesting pea trees that I now have in my yard? If so, thanks!!

Comments (9)