SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Thoroughbred Daylilies Trip

shive
15 years ago

Last weekend I attended the Daylilies In the Heart of Bluegrass Gala at Thoroughbred Daylilies, owned by John and Annette Rice. This was the Kentucky leg of Northern Mecca, which is now spread out over multiple weekends because of variances in peak bloom. It was a wonderful experience, and I was awestruck at the Rice's greenhouse and thousands of seedlings.

Here's the barn where we registered. The fabulous buffet line with mass quantities of country style picnic food was in the barn too. Boy, was that some good eating!

Rice's barn

{{gwi:844137}}

I has hoped to see BASS GIBSON, RUCKUS, LOTUS POSIION and TRIFECTA in person, but they were not blooming last Saturday. It was a cool day, so the toothy ones and blue eyes were not at their grandest. Here are some Rice intros that were in bloom:

SOMETHING ANGELIC, which was really much bluer-looking in person

{{gwi:844139}}

CROWN OF CREATION

{{gwi:844141}}

BLUE VOODOO

{{gwi:844142}}

SCIENCE OF MIND

{{gwi:844143}}

STEVE TODD was in the greenhouse and so tall I couldn't get a really good photo

{{gwi:844145}}

Here are some selected Rice seedlings that impressed me. I'm not sure which ones will be future intro, but they are keepers under further observation.

Toothy seedling that most impressed me

{{gwi:844147}}

Eye no edge toothy seedling

{{gwi:844149}}

These seedlings were in the gigantic hybridizing greenhouse. Many of them likely will be future intros.

Rice red seedling with fat gold edge

{{gwi:844150}}

Rice patterned eye seedling

{{gwi:844152}}

Rice blue-eyed seedling

{{gwi:844154}}

Orange seedling with gold teeth

{{gwi:844156}}

Dip UF seedling Rice is converting

{{gwi:844157}}

The greenhouse where John hybridizes was a great place to take photos. It acted like giant soft box, providing the perfect lighting. And, there were pristine blooms on recent intros by other hybridizers. Here are some I loved.

BORN TO RUN by Stamile

{{gwi:844158}}

MORT MORSS by Salter- Mine has never looked this good! Maybe I need a greenhouse...

{{gwi:844160}}

MARY LISA CARTER - couldn't find the hybridizer on this one

{{gwi:844162}}

PLACES IN THE HEART by Tim Bell

{{gwi:844164}}

DELICATE DETAILS by Jeff Salter

{{gwi:844166}}

FRIEDA ALLEN JERRELL by Vic Santa Lucia

{{gwi:844167}}

MAGNIFICENT HUMMINGBIRD by Lambertson

{{gwi:844168}}

BANDITO ROJO by Santa Lucia

{{gwi:844169}}

I had hoped to take some panoramic views of the greenhouse and pond with lotus flowers, but right after supper it began poring rain. Hope you enjoyed the tour.

Debra

Comments (15)