SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myuew

Indoor Michelia Alba not Growing

myuew
12 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm new to this website but have already found it to be such a wonderful place for information. To everyone who can offer me some advice on this subject, I truly appreciate it!

I bought a 3gal Michelia Alba from T Tropical in the middle of April this year. After it arrived, I did everything that was instructed, including not fertilizing it for a first month, but after nearly six weeks, I'm still not seeing much new growth at all.

There is no new leaves forming, and the ones that came with the plants are getting old and droopy. I'm very careful with not overwater it. I'd only water it after the top soil feels dry, and that's about a week or so. I plucked some of the very old leaves hoping it would help direct the energy to forming the new ones, but nope. I'm afraid to take down more because that would really just leave me "naked" branches.

The plant has formed one flower bud, and it's been there for a couple of weeks now without doing much, after it grew out of its "shell".

The plant is indoor most of the time and kept by the south window. I used to take it out and let it sit under my gardenia tree for a few hours to receive indirect sunlight, but as the weather is getting hotter by the day and the wind is so strong, I stopped doing that.

A week ago, I repotted the plant for the first time, thinking maybe it ran out of space to grow since I potted it in a container just about the size of its rootball when it arrived at first. The new pot is not that much bigger, just 1" wider in each side. The potting soil has shales and coconut fiber, and I added perlite to help more with the drainage. I mixed Colorburst 15-30-15 into the soil as fertilizer.

I find myself staring at the plant so much everyday (which my husband calls me crazy), trying to figure signs of growth. I think some of the leave tips are still growing, but just sooooooooooooooo slooooooooooooooowly. And all the growth (if any) are from the tip of the branch, nothing new grow from other part of the branches. The repotting didn't do much, and I'm running out of ideas of how to help it grow. I'm hesitant to add more fertilizer such a stuff for acid loving plants and iron(22%) as I don't want to see it getting burnt. I haven't watered it since I repotted it a week ago, the soil is still plenty moist. That tells me the root is not absorbing the water along with all the goodies in it as fast as it should be. I'm misting the leaves several times a day since now the AC is on at home (set at 83 though).

So all your experts out there, do you have an idea of what's going on and how I can fix it? Or how long does it usually take for a plant to become adjusted to the new environment? It came from FL with just the root ball, no pot.

Thank you very much!

Comments (4)