SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dowlinggram

Amazing discovery for Zonal geranium cuttings

dowlinggram
11 years ago

After many years of growing zonal geraniums from cuttings I made an amazing discovery. I took my cuttings as usual and laid them out on newspaper on my spare room floor to callus over for 5 days. Actually I forgot about them and they stayed there for a week.

I planted them using pro mix and rooting compound as usual. When I went to put them under the lights without rearranging things the only space was on the heating mat where I was starting seeds. Well I placed them there thinking I'd rearrange them later. They seemed to be doing OK on the mat so I just left them there. They did need a bit more watering but that was no problem.

To my amazement all 24 cuttings took and started sending out new growth. I never lost one cutting. When thinking about it fungal diseases like cold and wet and that bit of warmth kept the fungal disease blackleg away. So from now on that's the way I will do them.

It's never to late to teach an old dog new tricks. That's one of the things I like about gardening. No matter how long you are at it you can always learn new things or ways of doing them.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH