SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

Tell me about your Buddleia.

tiffy_z5_6_can
16 years ago

Just curious about something. I grew some Buddleias from seed via winter sowing. Checking them out on google, I discover that Opera's low zone tolerance is Zone 6(USDA which would mean a Zone 5 for us), and Buddleia Dartmoor's low zone tolerance is Zone 5 USDA, so presumably Zone 4 for us.

I have a slope with poor soil that I've been struggling with and an overload of Dartmoors. This slope is North facing so I would treat it as a Zone 4 even though we are considered Zone 6. I've planted lots of things in this slope, but the following have died - Chocolate Adjuga, Obedient Plant (White), Geranium Pyrenaicum, Bee Balm. Amazing eh?? Since I have too many Dartmoors, I've started to plant some in there, choosing pockets of soil that I've amended in the past. Nothing to lose I figure.

Anyhow, just wanted to know, what zone are you in and what kinds of Buddleias do you grow? What's the soil like? Do you protect them in the winter?

I already have mature Dartmoors - at least I think they are Dartmoors - and I want to expand on my Buddleia repertoire. :O) I have seedlings of unnamed whites, pinks, and reds as well as Opera.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting