SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kiddo_1

Attracting bees to your gardens...

kiddo_1
15 years ago

Hello!

IÂm turning my property and cottage gardens into a bee and pollinator sanctuary. And while there are some lists of favorite honeybee forage plants on the web, IÂm also trying to support other types of bees (mason, bumble, etc) and other pollinators.

So I thought IÂd apply right to my fellow cottage gardeners to find out just which plants seem to attract the most pollinator traffic. I myself know that itÂs always standing room only when my many sedums bloom. Seems most every type of bee ends up on those! And zinnias are always buzzing with many types of solitary bees and butterflies as are my coleus and basil flower stalks.

What grows in your gardens that bees enjoy? IÂm in NE Ohio, zone 5 so some of the really great bee-attracting tropicals are not going to do much here, but suggestions of hardy perennials and easy annuals would be most appreciated!

Thanks for your help and Happy New Year, all.

Kris

Here is a link that might be useful: Melissa Majora gardens

Comments (32)

• todancewithwolves
    15 years ago

Cottage gardens go hand in hand with bee's and butterflies.

Here are a few pictures of what our native bee's like.

Foxglove
    {{gwi:431117}}

Poppy
    {{gwi:434339}}

Geranium
    {{gwi:434340}}

Sweepeas
    {{gwi:425655}}

Oh, and a mason bee house is a must!
    {{gwi:495244}}

Happy gardening!

Edna

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

We have assorted bees throughout the year, but honey bees are noticeably missing until fall. I have a Michaelmas Daisy bed (Perennial Asters) in the fall it's swarming with honey bees in september and october. A very good bee magnet :o).

Annette

• Related Discussions

Wanted: Bee Balm

Q

Comments (2)
    hi Joel, FYI - Monarda (Bee balm) is on the invasive list here in NJ, just so you know, contain it, it spreads EVERYWHERE!!!!
    ...See More

Attracting bees for my garden

Q

Comments (3)
    If I was you, I would drill all kind's of holes into wood, perhaps porous, half rotten wood, things like, material what our native bees would find in the wild, hang them up on trees walls etc. This way you will have some bees what stick around your area. Also, make some nesting sites for bumble bees, you should find ideas on Google, I had some attracted by a little box, see video link. Konrad Here is a link that might be useful: Bumble Bee Video
    ...See More

I need to attract bees in a bad way

Q

Comments (11)
    I love pollinators and have a single hive and the last thing I would do is discourage you from getting a hive. However, we should also be looking at environmental factors in your own area that could contribute to your lack of honeybees. Number 1 on my list would be weather. IN my area of new england, there was rain nearly every single day between mid JUly and mid August. An extended stretch of unseasonable weather could affect the bees' ability to forage widely, or plant devel0pment might be affected, blooming plants could be knocked down by a combination of rain and wind. So just for the heck of it, why don't we think of all the reasons you may not have many honeybees. Also, think of other pollinators who may or may not be around the garden. You should know I am a very new beekeeeper and seemed to have experienced more failures than successes. However , I feel pretty comfortable sticking my neck out in the midst of some very successful "growers".
    ...See More

I want to attract bees to my veggie garden

Q

Comments (16)
    We're beginner beekeepers, so of course we've been very attuned to what plants in our landscape seem to attract our bees...to our surprise, my little bed of cleome (spider flower) is our bees' most popular hanging-out place in our yard, next to the white clover in the lawn. The bees hit the cleome early in the morning and then late in the evening, and the plants are literally bent over with honeybees. Nothing in our bee books or networking with beekeepers would have led us to believe that bees have a special fondness for this flower. Other bee favorites we've noticed, although nothing like the cleome: Our bean plants usually have bees buzzing around them; also catmint and lavender. On the other hand, we've been told that sedum are a good nectar source for bees, but we really don't see them in our sedum bed. Ditto borage -- an oft-noted "bee plant," but we just don't notice the bees on our borage. (This may be because they visit at a different time of day than the early morning/early evening when we're gardening.)
    ...See More
  • token28001
    15 years ago

Glad to see others are building mason bee houses. I'm planting all sorts of bee balm and herbs like Dill and Queen Anne's Lace. Last year, I had some purple salvia that the bumble bees loved. I don't remember a single day when there wasn't at least 1 bee on that plant.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

You know, I'm not sure what bees prefer in my garden. I just take bees for granted and don't give them much thought, usually. Many of the butterfly pics have bees in them. I'll have to go through and see what turns up.

I do know that a fat bumblebee kept going in the open greenhouse door and hanging about on the pentas blossoms when everything was killed back outside.

Nell

• kiddo_1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

todancewithwolves - Did you make that mason bee house yourself? Looks great! Do you do anything with it over winter? Do you clean it out after they emerge? I have a lot of cedar from a previous project and wonder if it would be suitable to use as a mason bee house? Do you know if the mason house attracts carpenter bees? (I sure know that the beams in my shed get their share of them! Lots of drill holes every summer.) That is a wonderful pic of the bee on the sweepeas. It almost looks metallic.
    Kris

• todancewithwolves
    15 years ago

A simple block of wood with holes drilled will attract masons and leafcutter bee's. Jim added a great 'how to' guide.

Carpenters tend to be a pest as they drill their own holes and can be destructive. But I enjoy watching them in the garden.

No need to clean a mason bee house, they do all the work. They will lay 3 - 6 eggs in each cell depending on the depth. They plug the holes with mud. If you see a yellow or light green plug then you have a leafcutter.

I wish I have more land, if I did I'd start a hive.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Try overseeding your lawn with clover to attract the honeybees. I have done just that since the clover holds up better in our heat than the fescue does.

I hate carpenter bees however since they can do a number on any wooden structure in your yard including the house and wooden decks if you have them.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

The most bee pics I found on a casual look-thru was on tithonia. Tithonia is a great butterfly attractor, too.

Can you see the bee in flight to the right of the butterfly who had just displaced him?

Gaillardia is another flower popular with both bees and butterflies.

Nell

• todancewithwolves
    15 years ago

Nckvilledudes right, clover does the trick. I have crimson for winter/spring then it dies back and the white clover takes over for summer/fall.

Clover also attracts skippers. Clover is also a host plant for some species of skippers.

• schoolhouse_gw
    15 years ago

I almost wouldn't mind the carpenter bee drilling the holes up under the eaves of the old outhouse, if she didn't leave the sticky, yellow goo spattered all over the white siding. It's difficult to wash off, too.

Hyssop seems to be a major bee attractor in my border.

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

I am planting borage again this year as I haven't had it for about two years. I miss seeing the huge big fat fuzzy bees hanging on the delicate blossoms.
    gg

• token28001
    15 years ago

Borage is on my list too. As is fennel and dill.

• kiddo_1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nckvilledudes -
    Most of my lawn is white clover. Last year I left almost half an acre (I have 1.25 acre property) mostly unmowed and the honeybees were everywhere. They really enjoyed it. (Don't know about the neighbors, though, but whenever it got about 8" deep, I did trim it back. ;-)) The clover bloomed for nearly 3 months that way and it was that more than anything that tipped me toward the bee sanctuary plan.)

schoolhouse - Thanks for the tip on hyssop. I hope to find some starts this year to add to the new 'ring' garden bed (103' long and 72' wide). That bed will be totally devoted to pollinator plants.

I'm also going to start common milkweed that is supposed to be saturated with nectar for the bees and will also support monarch butterflies. I'm hoping to get the ring garden full of perennials one day (a 3-5 year plan). Until then I'll fill with zinnias - they feed a lot!

As for the carpenter bees ... I must admit they are much fun to watch, although I really am going to try and lure them to some sacrificial lumber and away from the shed/arbor this year. :-)

Kris

• todancewithwolves
    15 years ago

Kris, that's great your planting milkweed. Once you do, get yourself certified by MonarchWatch.org. I'm waystation number 313 (I think)

I've never grown borage, in fact, I don't even know what that is. Off now to google borage.

Happy New Year all....

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Todancewithwolves, have never tried crimson clover but will have to look into that. The local farm supply store might carry it but I have never thought to ask. The guy at the store thought it was great that I was overseeded the yard with clover--said it would be good for the bees. The neighbors might not like it since they tend to go for the monoculture fescue lawns that they keep watered all summer long.

Kiddo, I have fond memories of running through clover filled lawns as a kid and catching honeybees that were there feeding on the flowers. You will like butterfly weed. Mine was covered all summer with bees and the seeds were collected and scattered in various places around the yard to hopefully germinate on their own. I am also starting red swamp milkweed this winter via wintersowing.
    {{gwi:135884}}
    Schoolhouse, I can attest to the bees just loving hyssop.

Borage flowers make great additions to salads and have a cucumbery taste. I grew them in the past but haven't done so for quite a few years. May have to add them to my seed starting list--like I need more things to add! LOL

As for carpenter bees, I hate them. They almost destroyed the deck at my last house and I have seen them do serious damage to wood framed houses. My favorite spring activity is to go outside with a tennis racket and whack them against the side of the house.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

Clover is great, it stays green when the grass goes dormant, we don't water our so call called lawn in the summer. I'll be over seeding our so called lawn with clover this spring and for the next few years until the whole thing is clover. Don't have to mow it as often either :o).
    We also have quite a few houses for the little mason bees which seem to have done their thing around here by the time my Dr. Ruppel Clematis has finished it's first flush of blooms. A

• Eduarda
    15 years ago

Lavender seems to be a major bee attractor in my garden. Other plants where I see bees always buzzing around, even though you wouldn't think of them in the first place, since they are flowering shrubs, are ceanothus, grevillia rosmarinifolia and bottle brush bush - when they are in flower, of course. You can hear the bees hum from quite afar at that time and if you look closely you'll see them swarming all around the shrubs.

Eduarda

• terrene
    15 years ago

I garden to attract pollinators as well - with an emphasis on native plants and annuals that provide abundant pollen and nectar for the bees, butterflies, hummingbirds, etc. I really enjoy having lots of these little guys in the gardens and don't use any pesticides. Although, this thread has me a bit worried about the Carpenter bees, and I'm hoping they make their nests in the numerous logs that are laying around?

The top bee-attracting plants in my gardens include -

Perennials - Agastache foeniculum and hybrids, Echinacea, Eupatorium species including the Joe Pye weeds, Solidago (Goldenrods), Asters, perennial Helianthus (Sunflowers), Asclepias (Milkweeds), Salvia nemorosa, Sedums, Scabiosa.

Annuals - Cosmos, Tithonia, Verbena bonariensis, annual Sunflowers, and various herbs

The Bumblebees are all over the Helianthus 'Lemon Queen' when it's blooming, and it is a giNORmous plant with lots of pretty yellow blooms -
    {{gwi:281950}}

All kinds of pollinators like the Asters, here are a couple Bumblebees on a 1st year New England Aster. One of these has a big lump of pollen on its leg -
    {{gwi:767852}}

Asclepias incarnata (Swamp milkweed) is very popular when it's in bloom -
    {{gwi:767853}}

• todancewithwolves
    15 years ago

This is sure a wonderful topic! Two years ago I put much emphasis adding plants for bee's and butterflies. I've enjoyed the results so much. I'm giddy when I find another who shares the same passion.

nckvilledudes, beautiful picture and a well mannered Asclepias. If you have hummingbirds, they will use the fluff from the seeds to build nests.

As Eduarda said (and I can't believe I didn't think of it either) Lavender is well loved by bee's. Also rosemary.

• kiddo_1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What wonderful suggestions and the pictures are great (especially since it's 8 degrees right now with a bitter wind).

Terrene -- I harvested milkweed seeds from the side of a road in November. I don't know if it is 'swamp' or 'common' but I hope it is the 'swamp' as in your pics. I love that color! If I find I have the 'common/white' perhaps you would share some seeds next year?

Todancewithwolves -- Don't know if you've visited my blogsite, but you'll see my bee/pollinator sanctuary efforts and realize I need all the help I can get! I'm really excited about the project! *grin*

Eduarda -- Lavender! Of course. Since I'm on a tight budget I'll be scoping out my friends' gardens for some lavender starts (but I seem to remember that they don't like to be transplanted...?).

As for the clover, I love it. It keeps the 'lawn' green in the hot summer, smells wonderful and it's fun to sit in a big patch on a summer evening and look for 4-leaf clovers....

Kris

• DYH
    15 years ago

In my garden, these plants are literally swarming with bees:

St. Johns Wort (hypericum)
    Lavender
    Nepeta
    Chaste Tree (vitex)
    Oakleaf holly (in spring)

Cameron

• schoolhouse_gw
    15 years ago

kiddo (Kris), that is such a pretty photo. I can feel the warm grass on my bare feet - and a bee sting or two?! I have a much smaller patch of lawn off the back porch that has white clover, I wish I didn't have to mow it so often.

• kiddo_1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Schoolhouse - I'm sure my neighbors weren't really happy that I didn't mow the back lawn weekly like everyone else did. (Here most everyone mows weekly and regular sprays for weeds, bugs, you name it - especially the golf course right in back of my property - wow you can't believe the chemicals I'm surrounded by!) I counteract: I do my part - totally organic and no chemical pesticides.

Anyway after deciding not to mow the clover this past year and after a couple of weeks of lush clover bloom just crawling with all types of bees, I painted a sign "Bee Sanctuary" and stuck it right in the middle. Now I wasn't just the neighborhood crazy, I was the environmentalist, the conservator, the woman with a cause! (OK OK, I admit -- maybe just a little crazy, but I'm willing to take the risk... *grin*)
    Kris

• token28001
    15 years ago

Ok, where can I find the seeds for this clover? I've never been one to really like grass. I'd like to get rid of all of mine if I could.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Here in Kernersville,NC, Farmers Feed and Seed is where I purchased white clover seed.

• token28001
    15 years ago

Thanks. I'll check out Mauney's here in Albemarle. They're a feed/seed store for the farmers. Do I plant it now or in the spring?

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

I tried planting some last spring but with the drought not much of it germinated. I planted it again this past fall and I have substantially more growing and coming up. In fact, just the other day I was outside decreasing the grassed areas by increasing the size of one of my beds and I saw even more seedlings germinating. I would be tempted to scratch it into the soil now and see if it will come up next spring. If not, then next fall you could try again. Just realize that clover seed is very small. I just hand tossed it out since I thought I would get it in all the beds and use it up too fast if I tried using a regular spreader.

• token28001
    15 years ago

I'll go pay them a visit tomorrow. Thanks.

• terrene
    15 years ago

Todancewith wolves, I like that Mason bee house too. I wonder if I drilled holes into some of the dead snags (dead trees and branches) or a log if they would use that.

Kiddo, I like your clover lawn. Looks like lots of potential there for some gardens or maybe a mini-meadow along with the clover. Every few years, I cast some clover seed over the grass, although there is not that much grass on my lot (coincidentally also 1.25 acres). Clover is a good companion to grass because it is a legume and fixes nitrogen which nourishes the grasses.

Common milkweed (Asclepias syriaca) is very attractive to pollinators, has showy pink flowers that smell heavenly, and is an excellent Monarch host plant, however it's kind of a coarse plant and not well-behaved in the garden. It sends out fairly long runners every which way. I have some growing in the wild area in the back-backyard, where it can spread hither and yon if it wants.

The Swamp milkweed (Asclepias incarnata) is clumping and well-behaved. I think the foliage is much more attractive. In my garden it reseeds readily. I saved seeds from the light pink in the picture above, and also have seeds that are white and a few seeds that were from a dark pink. I winter-sowed the dark pink last year, and it hasn't bloomed yet, but can't wait to see the color. Send me an email, I'd be happy to share some of these.

Another bee attractor - Echinacea -

{{gwi:251998}}

{{gwi:767855}}

{{gwi:767856}}

• kiddo_1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Terrene - had to chuckle when I saw your last pic. Seems those green sweat bees sure like coneflowers and I have a similar pic. I have one plant of coneflowers so saved seed and will start new plants this spring.

When I moved here 6 years ago there was very little clover in the lawn. The previous owners used to spray, just like the neighbors. I don't, so the clover has increased every year and last year I was excited to see some little pink clover mixing in! The clover pic I posted is the site of the new 'ring garden' I started July/08 (as mentioned in my blog).

Since I'm on such a tight budget, if anyone has any spare lavender seeds to share/trade, I sure would be appreciative since obviously the bees love it!

Kris

• aunt_lou
    15 years ago

BeeBalm---Monarda! I have a nice big clump of Marshall's Delight in front of our east facing sun porch windows. It was huge last year----4-5 feet tall! It was literally covered with all kinds of bees, butterflies, and delightful hummingbird moths----the actual hummers liked it too! Great fun sitting by the window and watching them! Another plant/plants that are covered all summer long with bees are my perennial salvias---May Nihgt etc. Have lots of the other flowers mentioned here as well but these two really stand out as far as being covered with bees goes.
    aunt lou

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!