SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

New Formal Cottage Garden Area.

Annie
12 years ago

Reconstruction was begun today.

I will take pictures of each step to show the stages, the messes, and then the finished project.

I am so excited!

This afternoon, I started cutting back the large Forsythia bush that is growing dead center of where the 4 ft. wide path must go. I am going to leave it growing on one side and let if grow up over the new arch that will go there. Now, I can see up into the above terraced area where the White Garden and Daylily beds are situated.

Those two beds will need to be redone next spring to accommodate the new round fish pond, but the fish pond can be constructed now. I want pink and white water lilies in the pond next year.

All I plan on doing this fall and winter is creating the new path and redefining the terracing using quarry-stone blocks. There are two terraces above the Patio area up to where the pond will be situated. It is so cool to be able to stand at the back door now and see up into that area. I will be able to see the daylilies in bloom from the patio next year.

There are a number of small shrubs and plants to be moved to open up the new path, but all are hardy enough that I can move them now and know they will survive the winter. I salvaged over two tons of brick and quarry rock from my parent's old homesite, so hopefully that will be enough for the project. I will probably buy some square terra cotta pavers to so that it matches the other paved paths and areas. Each area will not be exactly square, but each area will contain elements of symmetry so it will be formal. There will be neatly trimmed Japanese Boxwood on each side, pink roses (although not the same variety), variegated Euonymus fortunei 'Emerald n Gold' on each side, and a Bluebeard Spirea shrub. Possibly a dwarf Juniper shrub on each side- one is already on the south side. There are already two matching Spireas on each side. There is a Blue Spires Juniper on one side and a Colorado Blue Spruce on the other on the next terrace up, so their colors will create the balance and symmetry even though they are different trees and on different levels. Things may change as I work on it, but that is the basic plan so far. It is so exciting to actually be able to see how it is going to look even at this point!

Can't wait until tomorrow to do a little more work on Project: 'The Formal Garden'. :)

~Annie

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions