SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Blooming in May!

Heliotropium arborescens 'Fragrant Delight', Citrus limon (Ponderosa Lemon) and Verbena (Lanai Blush White).
I pinched the heliotropes back after their first bloom and they're now getting bushier. Can't believe the Ponderosa Lemon is putting forth another mass bloom! The verbena is admittedly very lightly scented of citrus but I'm hoping to get some butterflies or hummers on it. :)

Looking forward to seeing everyone's blooms in May!

-Robert

Comments (72)

• botaniphile
    11 years ago

I love your trees! I wish I could grow prunus, but I'm pretty sure they don't grow/flower here in fl.

• fragrant2008
    11 years ago

Robert and botaniphile thank you for your kind comments and yes the bees do love it :)
    botaniphile as much as i love my prunus i would swap the cold of the uk for sunny Fl any day of the week not only for my own health but i am sure the orchids would love it over there :)
    p.s i think my prunus is Amanogawa or japanese flagpole cherry

• Related Discussions

Aloe cameronii in bloom in May

Q

Comments (3)
    A shot of this Pincushion type Protea in bloom further up the same side yard slope from the Aloe cameronii below it. This species has reflexed flowers that change shape as they age, and can also come in a soft yellow color. The foliage of this shrub is much smaller and softer than the more common L. cordifolium cultivars that are usually seen, and gets to be about 6 to 8 feet tall by across, and blooms for several months in late spring here in the SF Bay Area. Here is a link that might be useful: Leucospermum reflexum in bloom
    ...See More

Blooming in May!

Q

Comments (86)
    Thanks Robert! Sorry to make you choose a favourite child;) Btw you are leading me down a dangerous path with your brugs and bruns. (Wikipedia says brunfelsias are small trees!) So will I one day be dragging these monsters into my basement?! Oh my poor back! I finally fed my gardenia and it has rewarded me with a wealth of huge flowers. Huh, flower food, who would've thought:)
    ...See More

Love In Bloom - May 2015

Q

Comments (5)
    We know we need to do it (and more often than we usually get around to it) but isn't it always amazing just how an African violet responds to re-potting? Well worth the time and effort. Lovely!
    ...See More

Poinsettia Blooming in May-June

Q

Comments (7)
    I have a Trader Joe's poinsettia that has survived since the beginning of December. It's now putting out new leaves with some, not complete, coloration -- very pretty pink-green combination. Every time I make the decision to re-pot a poinsettia, it's a death sentence for the poor plant. I'm holding off for now. There used to be a large area of greenhouses in the Oxnard area that would raise potted poinsettias for the holiday season. Lights on at night to force the perfect plant for Christmas giving.
    ...See More
  • botaniphile
    11 years ago

Fragrant, I used to hate the climate here, believe it or not. However, since my love (obsession?) for fragrant plants took off, I tend to agree with you. I still miss japanese maples, lilacs, peonies, and cherry blossoms, though :).

• fenius
    11 years ago

fragrant, your prunuses are fantastic, I got three this year but they only grew leaves... Only prunus mahaleb had three tiny flowers, neither showy or fragrant but I needed it for the spice! Your bonsai crap apple is malus hupehensis??

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rosa âÂÂSombreuilâ (Rose).

Best year so far for it! My partner finally tied it down to the arbor (yes, I'm lazy) and it's covered in blooms. :)

-Robert

Original Author
    11 years ago

Lonicera x heckrottii 'Gold Flame' (Honeysuckle).

Also it's best year. Smells awesome at night and on cool mornings.

Major bonus...the hummingbirds love it! :)

-Robert

Original Author
    11 years ago

Philadelphus âÂÂSnowbelleâ (Mock Orange).

It's off to a slow start this year due to me digging it up and moving it in winter (that's one of my major problems...I'm seldom happy with where a plant is so I move a lot of them around every year).

Takes a week or so for the blooms to really smell awesome but when they do I'm constantly sniffing 'em!

-Robert

• fragrant2008
    11 years ago

Beautiful plants Robert i to have a Mock orange and the fragrance is heavenly :) just shows what living in a different part of the world can do as mine is only now starting to break into leave let only bud :( at least i know i have that awesome scent still to come :)
    And you have another fav of mine Honeysuckle one of the most reliable fragrant bloomers in my garden mine is not the same one as yours tho
    fenius thank you and to be honest i have no idea i just know it as crap apple ;)
    but here is another prunus for you :)

prunus Fragrant cloud

i love the way the flowers hang down like little bells

Another little gem Zaluzianskya i can not rate this little plant high enought small compact furry leaves hardy!!! survived the uk winter flowers are wonderfully fragrant evening/night and as a added bonus the leaves have a strong aroma :)
    here is what is said online
    "We nicknamed this the Mighty Atom, as although small, it really does pack a punch. In June, the evergreen dome is smothered with deep maroon buds which open during the early part of the day to reveal pure white heart shaped petals. Closing during the hottest part of the day they open again in the evening releasing a rich heady perfume. It just has to be seen (or smelt) to be believed. Prefers moist but well drained soil in sun or part shade. Height & spread 30cm (12âÂÂ). Half hardy perennial, down to around -5oC. "

Original Author
    11 years ago

Ack! Why are you doing this to us, fragrant? Laugh.

Is that Zaluzianskya ovata? I tried Z. capensis years ago and it was okay. Now I want to try Z. ovata! :)

-Robert

• fragrant2008
    11 years ago

muhaha Robert :D and yes it is Zaluzianskya ovata (Night Phlox)

• fragrant2008
    11 years ago

Robert here is another one you must get if you do not already have

not in flower at the moment osmanthus x fortunei
    (osamnthus fragrans x osmanthus heterophyllus)

a quote from one of best best books i have on fragrant plants
    "most people assume this is a holly and it does look remarkably similar But its special attribute is its Gardenia like scent so powerful it can be recognizable over 100 yards away"

Original Author
    11 years ago

You're terrible! Just ordered some Zaluzianskya ovata seeds off eBay.
    Now I'm googling Osmanthus x fortunei!

What's the name of your favorite book about fragrance?
    I love reading about fragrant plants. :)

-Robert

• fragrant2008
    11 years ago

Thanks Robert i just went into the bedroom to find that book for you and i smelled a fragrance had a quick look around and found my hoya parasitica panachee coming into bloom :)

now i just need to buy a decent camera so i can take better photos instead of these slightly out of focus mobile photos
    oh and that book was Trees and Shrubs for Fragrance by Glyn Church

Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, fragrant. You're a dangerous friend to have. Just ordered the book off Amazon. At least it was only 4 bucks! Laugh.

How would you describe your hoya's scent? I've only read that it has a powerful scent but not if it is a sweet, musky, fruity, citrusy, etc. scent.

-Robert

• fragrant2008
    11 years ago

haha yes it is not expensive i picked mine up from a second hand book stand at a big orchid show here in the uk i just liked the fact the guy was growing the plants in New Zealand and not some barmy tropical location :P

Hoya parasitica panachee i would say it is a musky kind of scent reminds me a lot like cestrum nocturnum nice from a distance but if you stick your nose right in can be a bit pew pew

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

'Sweet Chariot' Rose, one of my favorite rose scents.

• fenius
    11 years ago

cool, i want the book and zaluzianskya too!!!
    I have news on:
    syringa josiflexa

glaucium flavum (I stole it from a nearby beach last year)

mysore mulli

gartentraume

singapore obtusa (like celadine minus the citrus..plain sunscreen that is)

• botaniphile
    11 years ago

Wow, fenius! Your plants are gorg :). I wish I could smell that lilac!

• fragrant2008
    11 years ago

i agree really like the syringa josiflexa :)

• dl99
    11 years ago

Hello friends,
    I am sorry I haven't been posting lately. I am caring for my friend who is very sick and then between her kids and mine, there is no time to myself. I have been reading all your posts and enjoying the pictures and feeling very happy.

This one I have to tell you about - Daffodil Erlicheer/Summer Daffodil.

Back in April, on a regular shopping trip, this caught my eye and I didn't think much and bought it . I immediately planted since it was sprouting and it bloomed in less than 3 weeks!

The fragrance is delightful; similar to Ultra hand/Body lotion (by Jergens). It is sweet, strong not at all similiar to the regular paperwhites smell .

If you find time, you should try this. I looked up some websites -Easytogrowbulbs.com ,brent&becky etc , these bulbs are shipped in fall, however planted in early spring, they do not need the chill hence the name Summer daffodil.
    They are cute double flowered with an exquisite fragrance to my nose.
    {{gwi:794965}}
    This is a link to the pictures

Original Author
    11 years ago

musaboru,

How do you describe Sweet Chariot's scent? Now I want to sniff it! I'm a sucker for fragrant roses but they take up so much space and I normally end up digging them up and moving them endlessly around. Laugh.

fenius,

Wow! Your pics are gorgeous! Especially love the first 'Gartentraume' Rose pic. I've read it is very fragrant. Wow do you describe its scent?

dl99,

So sorry you're being run ragged. It's a busy, busy time for gardeners and having to care for others only stresses us more. My partner recently had surgery and I've been having to walk the dog, buy the groceries, take care of the house and my 5 million potted plants. Laugh.

Thank you for sharing the daffodil with us! I might try this one. :)

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Tue, May 14, 13 at 9:32

• fenius
    11 years ago

dl99 & Robert I hope things get better soon! I know very well what you describe, I was a nurse/maid for my bf for two months last summer when he broke his leg :-(
    the daffodil looks pretty btw and not like a standard daff (hate them!)
    Gartentraume smells rosey and citrusy to me Robert with a lot of substance, the scent is a heavier than jacqueline (both are very strong) ..my dad said it is like a "real" rose perfume.. I don't have a lot to compare it to yet and I'm not sure I realise what this myrrh scent talk is all about regarding the old roses, still waiting for one to bloom..

• fenius
    11 years ago

oh, I almost forgot my grandiflora debut!!

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

Robert, Sweet Chariot has the damask scent of the old garden roses but I sense other notes such as cedar. I love it. A common rose I would say it smells closest to is Mr. Lincoln.

fenius, the grandiflora is so gorgeous!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, musaboru. Wish I could find a local source for it. :(

Still digging my âÂÂSombreuilâ roses. I can smell them wafting in the breeze when I get home from work.
    I love the shape of the blooms...though some look like normal roses many look like the ones in this picture I snapped this afternoon. :)

-Robert

Original Author
    11 years ago

I like the tiny spider hanging out in this rose!

-Robert

• fragrant2008
    11 years ago

Another one :) looks like may is the best month for most of my fragrant plants

i believe this is AZALEA - DECIDUOUS pontica or could be Azalea Mollis 'Gold Topaz'

• kemistry
    11 years ago

My first Jasmine flower of the season, so fragrant!

• kemistry
    11 years ago

My gardenia frostproof is doing gloriously this year :)

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Pretty flowers but scent is muted in this gloomy weather. Im disappointed.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Kemistry,

Is your first jasmine 'Belle of India'? Can't wait for mine to bloom (they're just sending out shoots and leaves right now)!

So far I've managed to not kill my Gardenia 'Veitchii'.
    We got our first fully opened bloom today (started opening yesterday). Smells so good! My partner loves it. :)

Sorry to hear your plumies don't smell so much inside. I had the same experience. :(

-Robert

Original Author
    11 years ago

Our 'Jude the Obscure' David Austin Rose is starting to open today. Love its scent and color! The scent is hard to describe...perfumey grapefruit?
    Definitely one of our favorite roses.

-Robert

Original Author
    11 years ago

And I'm finally getting to sniff my pathetic Chloranthus spicatus!
    I almost killed it by trimming its deep roots and trying to grow it in a shallow container.
    We went to OKC yesterday and my friend's Chloranthus that I gave to her a year ago is lush and blooming its head off.
    Made me feel ashamed for almost killing mine! :)

-Robert

• kemistry
    11 years ago

At least it's blooming. Lol. My plant is blooming too this evening. The mixture of gardenia and chickenfeet is truly indescribable.

Robert..wow.. that rose looks perfectly edible. So pretty! I want to re-try a fragrant mini rose but I'm not crazy enough ..yet. ; )

Yup that's Belle. The weather was really nice last month so she's all budding up. My jasmine Pikul ..which I severely neglect is setting buds too. I swear some of these plants are so tough. Even the Brugmansia you sent me (Chuck) is refusing to die... now I'm feeling bad. : )

This post was edited by kemistry on Mon, May 20, 13 at 5:27

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Um...AMAZING EVERYONE! I can't believe all the flowers that i DO NOT have...lol

Robert, I too find myself putting plants in different locations to make room for more..
    That Chicken Foot is the cutest thing..Seriously!
    I love the Roses too..

Di99..I hope everything works out and it's nice to see you. I had no idea that there was a Daffodil that actually was fragrant and always wondered if there was...

Fragrant 2008...I have a soft spot for Hoya, let me tell you! I am now the proud owner of over 24 of them..lol Beautiful! Love the Bonsai! Nice.

Here are a few of my fragrant plants although I am not that good on names like you all:-)

Fenius..Wowowowowo..You certainly have a gift there! Always wow! Look at them Plumeria flowers!

Kemistry..Do you think the Belle is very fragrant? I hope mines comes to bloom someday now that the warm nights are finally here along with humidity.:-)

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Pic I took yesterday:-0) I wish the pic quality was better but my camera is on it's way out.

Natal Plum
    {{gwi:794981}}

Fragrant Geranium

{{gwi:794985}}

Lily of the Valley

{{gwi:794988}}

Wysteria

{{gwi:794990}}

{{gwi:794991}}

Another Natal Plum

{{gwi:794992}}

{{gwi:794993}}

Couple of Azalea

{{gwi:794994}}

{{gwi:794995}}

{{gwi:794996}}

One of my favorite Iris's!

{{gwi:794997}}

{{gwi:794998}}

Michelle Alba

{{gwi:794999}}

{{gwi:795000}}

{{gwi:795001}}

MY favorite Annuals of all! Petunias...So sweet!

Gardenia

Confederate Jasmine

Last but not least, Daphne

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Love them all :) but a few favs ;) always loved Wisteria have 3 as bonsai 2 blue 1 white so graceful and love the fragrance
    what variety is your Gardenia? it looks really healthy :)
    I am sure all are Michelia Albas are in flower now :) (right Robert ;) sorry ) and Finally what is the fragrance of Natal Plum like i have never grown that before but think its time to google it :)

• roseyd
    10 years ago

Goodness Mike! I can only imagine how nice your yard smells right now.

My irises have opened finally, over the weekend. I had to do some quick transplants for some of my oriental lilies - they aren't growing as fast as the hostas are - so, they got covered in hosta foliage. And drat it - I went food shopping and bought 2 more rose plants. "First Prize" and "Fragrant Delight". I didn't research them until this morning and I will be challenged to find sunny spots for what will someday be very large plants. (but I couldn't resist because the labels said they were 'very' fragrant.

I hope last night's rain will do all those transplants good. I hope we'll get more rain today - we're in a bit of a drought.

I did a lot of up-potting this weekend. The gardenia - is now in a 10 inch pot. I'm hoping that the 4" upgrade will mean that the plant will stop dropping buds, and turning yellow.

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

only a few days left but a few more beauties have come into bloom :)

very fragrant cattleya

Michelia yunnanensis

One of my wisteria Bonsai

A brassia (another lost label DOH)

Hoya Obovata really nice Rose sent

{{gwi:795013}}

and finally my Zaluzianskya has really gone in to full swing now love the fragrance

• fenius
    10 years ago

Great blooms guys!! I'm so jealous of your azaleas.. My first fragrant azalea seems dead, started putting out leaves then they shriveled and it turned back into a stick :''-((
    ok, so I have these to sum up the month:

Oh, oh I also got the book about the fragrant trees and shrubs, it is so tempting me to look for australian natives again!...

• thatadeniumguy
    10 years ago

I can't wait for my indoor bougainvillea to bloom! I hope it will bloom for me this year, its growing like a weed!

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

fenius that almost looks good enough to eat :) what is killing your Azaleas?? :(

• thatadeniumguy
    10 years ago

Victoria Amazonica - The Worlds Largest Water Lily

Each lily pad gets up to 10 feet across and a full grown human can stand on it as long as you spread the weight equally. A mature lily pad can take over 200 pounds of weight.

• roseyd
    10 years ago

So an update of sorts - I think I'm in LOVE with the Michela Alba scent. I had the chance to sit close and personal with Mike Meyer's Alba on Sunday - I sat on the carpet and the Alba was at my shoulder and the blossoms just wafted at me... it was such a delightful experience ... I kept sniffing - not knowing the Alba was there - because I'd been in a deep conversation with his mom. And when I realized where it was coming from... WOW! such a shame that those plants are so big. I know Mike cuts his down a LOT - but it's still to big of a plant for my tiny apartment. I know I can't fit one ... but doesn't stop me from wanting one.

I wish they'd bottle that scent.

I worked on my yard on sunday and my fragrent roses are finally in resting in my front yard. I'm ready for some blooms any time. My older roses are all in bud. I must have 20 buds getting ready to open. I may not have many pictures for May - but June will be a challenge to keep up with them. :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Jasminum officinale!

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike,

Love the Lily of the Valley growing in a pot!

Now you've got me wanting to start my petunia seeds! I know, I know...should have done that long ago but just seems like there's so much to do and not a lot of time to do it!

fragrant,

Love the cattleya! What do you think of M. yunnanensis' scent? I've read it smells like cinnamon?
    I also love your Hoya obovata. How many hoyas do you grow? What's your fav for scent?

fenius,

Lovely bowl!

ThatAdeniumGuy,

I would love to some day smell the blooms from that giant water lily! I've read they have a pineapple scent at night?

Rosey,

Really wish my M. alba would hurry up and bloom already so I can finally find out what all the hype is about! Laugh.

-Robert

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Thank you Robert :) i have 9 Hoya 2 of which have never flowered :( well to date they have not i keep wishing and hoping tho :) oh and a new one on the way (Hoya lacunosa x OBSCURA) for me Hoya lacunosa is my fav with hoya obovata a close second
    As for M. yunnanensis' i have not really had the time to appreciate the fragrance as i have been doing a lot of over time at work (more spare cash for new plants :P ) but the weather man does say it is going to be sunny here this weekend so i will get back to you on the fragrance

Original Author
    10 years ago

9 hoyas! You're making me and Kemistry look like amateurs! Laugh.
    Is your hybrid between lacunosa and obscura 'Sunrise'? That's one of the many I want to try someday. :)

Got some more blooms to add to the thread.

My 'Dauben' water lily is finally blooming! It has a light rose scent though I too will need to wait until a sunny weekend to really get the full effect. Laugh.

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

Rhododendron viscosum (swamp azalea)!
    It's a very small plant with just a few blooms but if I bend down it has a lovely scent that doesn't smell like cloves at all to me.

-Robert

• Tina Buell (Z9b)
    8 years ago

Does anyone know of a site in the US that sells Amanogawa japanese flagpole cherry trees?