SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosie_gw

Hey, it's now January 1 (2009!). What graces your garden?

rosie
15 years ago

I just realized that other thread is still going as we head into January, already maybe strolling our gardens looking forward to signs of spring but happy to see instead...?

It's colder here than around Atlanta, and my plants are young so bloom later than they will someday, so I'm still getting teased big time by buds on my Edgeworthia and mahonia. I really look forward to their becoming large mature plants with so many fragrant flowers they can be enjoyed just walking by. Interesting how many winter plants are fragrant. My wintersweet is obviously going to pass again this year, as is the Hamamelis 'Primavera' I recently put in, but I'm glad to have even sighs on their behalf.

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but last year my baby Osmanthus delavayi flowered abundantly and surprisingly in late winter/very early spring, its first year in the ground. I rudely transplanted it last fall and not seeing buds yet, but I'm very hopeful for this shrub over time and always look eagerly that way when I go out, hoping it's magically sprung into adulthood to anchor the little winter corner I'm putting together. If its first year is an indicator at all, its lovely fragrance will make that crossing of paths an event. Dr. Dirr's book estimates zone 7 hardiness, and it's surviving without burn here so far.

Comments (15)

Sponsored