SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Potager may end up being rose garden :)

lavender_lass
14 years ago

Some of you know I have been trying to figure out where to put roses in my garden, without the deer finding them. I don't have a lot of deer and they're not hungry, just curious. Anyway, I'm thinking about turning my planned potager into a rose garden with herbs and a few veggies. This way the roses will be enclosed with a fence and if necessary I can use deer fencing. Living in the country, we get a lot of "visitors" but the barn kitties chase the smaller ones out of the garden. These "visitors" have the whole pasture and the creek to play in, so I don't feel too bad that the garden is off limits.

Does anyone else grow roses in their cottage gardens, or do they have a rose garden? I'm looking for something fairly informal, even though I plan to include a lot of roses. I'm not posting this on the rose forums, because I know what roses I want to use, just looking for moral support, I guess. I'm thinking of using rugosas, old fashioned roses and some very hardy David Austins, which I know are popular with some of you :)

I know zone 4 will be a challenge, but I want to add herbs in with the roses and maybe a few perennials, just for fun. The roses will be on the perimeter of the garden (inside the fence) with four center beds for the vegetables, some with obelisks. I do need a little area for the food, but most of the bigger veggies will go in an area further from the house. I'd love to have a place to sit and have tea in the garden with roses and herbs all around and be in the shade. (The back of the garden (west side) has a huge lilac hedge, so at least I'll have one shady spot and it also makes a good windbreak. The rest of the garden is in full sun most of the day.

Thank you all for any suggestions or ideas, or even better, pictures!

Comments (18)

Sponsored