SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herboil

Avocado Tree in Atlanta

herboil
16 years ago

Here's the deal, I work at a restaurant that goes through a lot of avocados. Of course me being the gardener that I am snagged about 20 of them( the seeds)( I can get more on a regular basis too)

So, I started some last summer and now I have 5 healthy plants, a foot tall with great leaf growth and pruned bonsai looks to them.

What I want to know is, will avocado trees survive the winter here? I would not care if the frost nipped them back, but if the tree will die completely I need to know.

What I would most likely plan to do is plant it close to the house to keep it out of the wind, have extremely well drained soil to keep the soil from freezing, and mulch extremely heavy, and wrap the stem when cold weather comes.

Is this possible? I extremely want to plant on outside and let it grow crazy. They grow extremely fast... the hardest part is getting the seed to sprout and survive the first month... I get about 50% sprout ratio.

Can anyone help me? THey make great houseplants, but I want more!!!

Also, if anyone is interested in a trade let me know I may be able to work something out. you can email me at Firesidestrider@gmail.com

THANKS!

Comments (13)

Sponsored