SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
satellitehead

any kalmia pros? part-shade shrubs, shrub advice needed.

satellitehead
15 years ago

so, i've been away for a couple of months, life has been full of distractions and haven't had a chance to make it back. missed chatting with y'all nonetheless!

this will be a long post, an i apologize in advance. read on if you really want to help!

we're deep into winter right now, spring is around the corner, and i went on a buying spree this weekend at the Pike's over near Lindbergh plaza.

my dilemma: i have some issues and questions, and will probably need to return some plants. let me preface this with one thing - i am a HUGE fan of going native.

give you what i'm up against:

1) we have a mound. it gets mostly full sun in the summer (9am-6pm). now, a couple months ago, we planted half a dozen blueberries there, which only keep 10% of their foilage in winter. bottom line is, we need some evergreen shrubbery up there, it's bare during the winter! here are some pictures of the location prior to planting:

View 1

View 2

2) we have some prior landscaping in front of our bay window consisting of fotherfilla (gardenii + mt. airy) and virginia sweetspire. the location is shaded (sun from 9am-noon). the current plants there are a huge problem because these are foundation plants which are non-evergreen - an obvious problem because the foundation of our house shows in the winter time because ... well, they lose their leaves (great color till that happens, but ...) there is also some invasive lamiastrum there as well. here are pictures of the plants/location:

During Summer

In late winter (prior to bed enlargement)

In late winter (prior to bed enlargement, alt view)

So, here's my problem:

- for the mostly sunny area, we planned to pick up Daphne Odora after being told that our blueberries would provide enough shade for them. thing is, that same employee told me today that we shouldn't risk it (on our 2nd visit to nursery). we nixed the Daphne Odora due to excess sun. picked up 3 viburnums instead.

- For the shady spot in front of the windows, I grossly underestimated the amount of sun at that spot (I thought 9am-4pm, but it's 10am-1pm!). bad part is, I picked up 4 hawthorne "snow cap" and 1 hawthorn "umbellata" for this location. after reading online, i've realized that planting any hawthornes in this shady location is a) probably going to result in leaf spot or other diseases, b) probably result in poor growth and leafing/flowering habits, c) it's a bad idea overall. i don't think it's possible to plant hawthornes here successfully

result: i figure i will put the 3 Viburnums with white blooms and small leaves that resemble boxwood (sorry, can't recall variety) in the "mound" location. because i bought the hawthorns for the "window" location, but it's too shady, i'll take 3 of the "snow cap" hawthorns and plant them in the more sunny 'mound' location with them. i will return the remaining hawthorns to the store, suppose.

any alternate suggestions?

also, a question for anyone who has experience with Kalmia (Mountain Laurel):

my original plan was to put mountain laruel in front of the "window" location (the second set of pictures above). BUT everyone at every nursery i've talked over the last year has basically told me i am stupid for even TRYING to plant mountain laurel, it belongs on a mountain, not in metro Atlanta; however, i can't find another shrub i like to go there and i REALLY want to plant 4-5 kalmia "peppermint" in this part-shade/mostly shade spot. am i really stupid for STILL wanting this, and is this a plan destined to fail in this location? it seems like it doesn't like shade, but this doesn't make sense to me, since, in nature, it sits under tree canopies?! i just want something evergreen that i like, that isn't holly, preferrably flowers, and keeps a solid form @ 3'x3' to 4'x4' in size

thanks!

Comments (11)

Sponsored