SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
squirrellypete

Emergency transplanting shrubs....need advice

squirrellypete
16 years ago

OK, I'm going to have a nice long rant in just a minute. So I'll ask my question early in case any of you tire of reading this message before its conclusion:

I just rescued some 4-5 foot tall Virburnum, Camelia and a few Hydrangeas & azaleas that have been sitting uprooted and exposed in a brush pile for a couple of weeks. Some are definitely still alive and I just got them replanted and soaked today. Is cutting them back right now the thing to do to try to help these plants (I don't even care about blooms next year) or will that hurt them more, especially this close to winter?? Any advice to help me save them is appreciated.

Now, onto the rant:

I thought I was going to have a stroke today...

Last year my Father-in-law gave me a budget and asked me to landscape his new cabin. I thought I got alot of bang for his buck, shopped around for good sources with lower prices and bought quite a few nice 1-3 gallon perennials/shrubs and landscaped the property. I did it ALL myself, moved truckloads of topsoil and filldirt BY HAND and spent alot of time planning and effort planting. It paid off, he loved it and it looked beautiful. Lost a couple of Azaleas to the drought this summer that were out around the trees but everything in the beds was alive and well.

Well, he got married shortly after I landscaped. And 1 year later my new stepmother-in-law decides she wants something better and wants to "surprise" him for his birthday by hiring professional landscapers to come in and redo everything. It's her money so whatever she wants to do with it is her buisness.

I didn't know about it until after it was done which was almost 2 weeks ago now and I had yet to see it. And today he asked me to run some tools and supplies down to the cabin for him. I'm not going to lie, the new landscaping looks great. She paid them ALOT of money and they brought in alot of plants -- roughly (60) 3 gallon shrubs & Knockout roses, (3) 10 gallon Camelias, a 10 gallon Holly, (3) 7 gallon Leyland Cypress, ~ 10 5 gallon Loropetalum & camelias, ornamental grasses, etc.. The list goes on.

But I thought I would be sick when I saw most of the plants I planted last year had been ripped out and thrown into the brush pile. They're roots have been exposed for going on 2 weeks now. Some of them still have green tissue when I snap a limb and others I can't tell if they're still alive or not. I pulled out 4 once BEAUTIFUL virbunum, a variegated hydrangea, a Lady in Red Hydrangea, 3 Encore Azaleas, 1 standard Azalea, a Camelia, a bag full of creeping phlox, several Pandora's box daylilies. There's many more smaller perennials, daylilies and more shrubs that are unaccounted for which are probably toast. I propagated many of those perennials myself and even bought some shrubs with my own money when his budget was running low.

I don't care so much if she wanted to change things since she lives there now, but it would have been nice if she'd mentioned it to me....I would have gladly gone down there the day they re-landscaped and brought back whatever they removed. Those plants were big and healthy and were NOT cheap. I know this is common practice for alot of landscapers and I understand they don't have time to care for what they remove. Still, I can't believe they'd throw away plants that nice that had only been in the ground 1 year and not at least use them to landscape some other area of the yard. I wonder if they even asked her about them....she has yet to return the call I made inquiring about what happened to all of last year's plants. I made the call before I found the "graveyard".

What a waste of beautiful plants!! Grrrrr.

Danielle

Comments (12)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor