SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimtnc

Shrubs for mostly shade...

16 years ago

I'm posting here 'cause the other forum's traffic is really slow. I have compiled a list of shrubs that I think are shade tolerant that I can choose from to plant between my lawn and my neighbors house for privacy (the way the house's are built I sit on my front porch and look straight at their driveway and front door). The plants I listed are: Pieris japonica 'Mountain Fire', Pieris ÂForest FlameÂ, Viburnum,

Mountain Laurel (kalmia latifolia), Rhododendron, Skimmia Japonica, Aucuba japonica, Leucothoe and Hinoki "False" Cypress (I really like this one alot).

Also, I'm getting on in age and I don't want to have to wait 10-15 years to see these plants mature to around 4-5' to a nice natural privacy blocker from my neighbor, so I guess I'll have to buy bigger.

Coupled with that is the fact that I have snakes around the area in the summer and I don't want shrubs that will lay on the ground and hide those belly-sliders ... like to have them where I can prune them up off the ground and still look nice. That whole area in mention has been mulched with cedar chips, and I'll add more in a few weeks.

Could you give your thoughts and ideas, please. Thanks.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor