SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunslight

Loosing my Gardenia v.

sunslight
16 years ago

Trying to grow the incredible, sulky, difficult, obnoxious, resentful Gardenia.

I can grow Orchids, Plumeria, Citrus, Jasmine, but my Gardenias are going-going, almost gone.

Like most, the leaves yellow, then fall off, then the plant is dead.

I have (had) 4 in a large pot of peat/potting soil mix; brought indoors for the winter.

The plants have been fine for the past three years. Because of the size of the pot, they stay small (2 x 2Â). Strangely, they are always setting buds, which IÂve been pinching out so energy goes to the leaves. I mist every other day. The soil pH is 5.7. ItÂs hard to keep it there: watering leaches the miracid/iron out.

I noticed new leaves going yellow from tip to stem, with green veinsÂsure sign of chlorosis. Then I noticed older leaves going yellow from stem to tipÂsure sign of N deficiency.

I added some Epsom salts and miracid to the soilÂno change. I misted the leaves with a very dilute, mixture of miracid and liquid ironÂno change. I put a couple of more drops of liquid iron & miracid in the mist water, misted againÂand this time got a response of leaf burn, but the yellowing now starts in the middle of two week old leaves. I guess thatÂs progress. But they still go yellow, fall off, and the plant dies.

IÂve lost 2 of my 4, in the last month. I pulled one up and it had no rootsÂroot rot for sure? Yet, the other Gardenias that are still living have solid footing. However, I saw a big, red-flag this morning. One of the new leaves near the base of a plant has two notches in itÂmaybe root weevil?

IÂve read most of the posts on Gardenia problems and still donÂt know what to do. IÂve put up two pictures that show three leaves in three stages of going bad. Perhaps someone can tell from the leaves what might fix the problem(s)?

I havenÂt changed the way I treat the plants, during their past, healthy years. So the culture/light/feeding/humidity for being inside during the winter is the same. I hope someone can tell from the pictures, what is going on.

Before I loose all of the plants (I donÂt think they will make it another month) how do I take, and then root cuttings? There really isnÂt any soft-wood thatÂs more than ½ inch long, so that wonÂt work. The cutting will have to be from woody stem. Do I need to let it callus, put in rooting hormone then into perlite or can I just take an open cutting and stick it in water?

ItÂs pretty hard to grow gardeniaÂs in Utah; but then, not too many people here have an orange tree in bloom (with an orange on it) in their living room. But my Gardenias are going downhill, fast.

Here are the urls for the pictures:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh51/sunslightphotos/Gardening/gardeniasmall.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh51/sunslightphotos/Gardening/gardenialarge.jpg

Comments (27)