SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drj9

How can I identify my old fig tree?

drj9
15 years ago

I have owned a home for 5 years in Central Arizona. I bought a home with an old fig tree. After talking with old owner who is nearly 100 years old herself remembers the tree was a gift to the previous owners she guesses it was about 1959 could be earlier, when planted she is unsure if it was freshly cutted or from an old farm which use to exist 25 miles away. In the area we had a lot of immigrants during that time some from San Diego, Texas, Italy, Mexico etc. I can say the tree is about 15ft tall trunk is about 3ft diameter it would appear to grow 3- 4 crops per year. Tree would grow larger but in August it kind of burns after the heat and bark from the months of swelting heat. The figs are small at first then grow to a medium or larger and turn yellow when ripen the insides are a light yellow color and fig is sweet like honey. There are too many figs often so the neighborhoods take what they want and the birds get the rest. I have searched the net only to find many similar figs often I cannot tell the difference between a Kodota or a White Kodota or something created in a lab.

Any help is appriceated:)

Comments (3)