SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happy_fl_gardener

Edible Roselle

There was a thread a while ago about inexpensive landscaping. I have edible roselle seeds to share, saved from my 8 plants that I grew until the freeze. If anyone going to ECHO Farm Day wants seeds I can bring some with me.

Edible roselle is an annual. The plants are started in the spring and grow in bush form. When the days get shorter, they begin to bloom. The part that is used (cooked) is the swollen calyx after the flower is done blooming. Seeds are removed before cooking.

If the calyxes are boiled in water, then the juice will taste like raspberry tea. I prefer to add some sweetener and a little fresh ginger. When the calyxes are done cooking then I add a tablespoon or so of rum. Just enough to add flavor. I never tried it as a mixed drink but it may have possibilities. You never know.

I have two varieties. One has a larger leaf than the other. The larger leafed variety has a little nicer look to it but as far as producing the "fruit" the pointy leafed one is a little better.

This is what this flower bed looked like on October 18, 2008.

This pic was taken 12-7-08.

This was Jan 27, 2009 after the freeze. The annual tithonias and cannas are not present. The firebushes got burnt to the ground. The roselle was supposed to die at this time. Can't wait for things to green up again.

Even if you don't want any seeds, I hope that you enjoy the pictures.

Christine

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living