SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dyhgarden

Opinion - convert from sun to shade garden?

DYH
16 years ago

We are still experiencing a drought. If we don't get rain today, it could be several MORE weeks. Temps are expected to be 90 and 92 on Monday and Tuesday! I'm starting to rethink my cottage garden. :-( I'm so dismayed. I need to think differently about all of this.

The cottage garden inside the fence was hardest hit due to the sun orientation (full south) with some eastern and western sun at different times of the day. Then, the Japanese Beetles are also a problem due to all the meadow that can't properly be treated with milky spore due to cost (and our entire neighborhood has meadows on every lot).

I'm trying to decide what to do, if anything. The weeping cherry in front of the chimney always looks glorious in bloom and green for a month, but then the Japanese Beetles eat it and it looks ragged all summer long until the leaves drop. What if we replace it with another small tree such as a Sweet Bay Magnolia (drip irrigation there)? I have one already at a side patio and it is fairly open (not dense) branching, evergreen and smells divine when it blooms. It would provide some shade as it matures.

The KO roses along the inside of the fence were also hit by JBs. Then came the drought. They have looked pathetic with these challenges as you can see in this photo -- only the lavender looks good on the right side of the path (yes, that's grass growing out of the first bush -- we will have to dig it up to get it out):

{{gwi:756698}}

The bed opposite the path from the KOs was totally destroyed by the drought except for the dianthus. It was planted in yellow and whites -- coneflowers, shasta, daylilies, stock, gerbera. The sun hits that bed so harsh that I'm struggling with whether to plant trees along the outside of the fence to shade the garden.

Here's the "dead" bed on the left:

{{gwi:756699}}

Opinions -- should I replace the weeping cherry? If not the sweet bay, with what?

Should I plant a row of trees along the outside of the fence to provide future shade inside the fence? If so, what trees? There is drip irrigation there, too.

Thanks!

Cameron

The big view (in the spring) from outside and inside:

{{gwi:756701}}

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022