SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
louisianagal

would some of you walk me thru direct sowing

louisianagal
14 years ago

I've read on various forums and it seems fairly straightforward, but I haven't been very successful with direct sowing. I do Winter Sowing, and I would say I've been moderately successful with that. But I find the process somewhat cumbersome and messy. With lots of junk in the compost area to keep track of.

So I have some new border space cleared and some of the borders I am widening and plan to direct sow in those places. I have several seed packets and I've collected some of my own like coneflower, rudbeckia, cosmos, daylilly, and more. Now, do I just sprinkle the seeds there and hope for success? I know some of you put a cloche or some other cover there. What about a little thin layer of pine straw? How important, really, is keeping the area moist? I will admit I am not consistent with that. If fall sowing is OK, how do you determine when to do it? Do you go by the air temps, soil temp, do it after a first frost? Do the seedlings come up in the winter months, and do they survive the winter?

I know many of you cottagers direct sow some of your flowers, do if any of you have the patience to give me as much info as possible, I would surely appreciate it. I am getting older, the budget is getting tight, and I would like to be able to do much more of this direct sowing.

Laurie

Comments (8)

Sponsored