SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lorna_organic

pine nuts! (2 photos)

lorna-organic
15 years ago

When I was watering today, I noticed the larger pinion tree has rosettes on it. I examined one closely, and saw that it had pine nuts in it. I saw a silvery trail across one cone, looked like a snail trail. But I knew it wasn't because I don't have snails or slugs here. I touched it and discovered it was pine sap. I collected a handful of nuts, dropping several as I did so. The dogs scarfed up the fallen nuts.

I decided I should look up harvesting pine nuts. It seems, since I have no desire to climb a ladder, the best thing for me to do would be lock the dogs up, spread a tarp and use a stick to bang the nuts out of the cones. After collecting the nuts from the tarp, the chaff has to be winnowed away.

The nuts do have a thin shell. They can be eaten as some people eat sunflowers seeds, cracking the shell in one's mouth. The nuts can be steamed to help release them from the shell, or dry roasted.

The article said the trees only put out a good crop of nuts every two or three years. There are restrictions about harvesting them from wild trees on reservation or BLM land.

Lorna

Comments (20)

Sponsored