SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennypat_gw

New arbor.......HELP!

LOL!

I have a dilemma, I have always wanted an arbor with a flowering vine over it. While at the hardware store the other day, I fell in love with one, and bought it. Along with a couple of clematis vines. I didn't really plan the purchase and now need to figure out where to put it! I need to make new flower beds anyway, because I want to grow more annuals, and perennials. I am aiming for a cottage garden type look. I have uploaded pictures of the yard and possible locations to my webshots album which is linked at the bottom.

I live in zone 3, bordering 4, on a farmstead, out in the country. My dilemma is this, my husband wants to put the arbor over the sidewalk, near the end by the driveway where we park. I don't really like this location, I feel it will be trouble in the winter, when we have to shovel 3' of snow off the sidewalk. And that it blocks the view of the house.

The other locations I am considering are, to make a new garden room on the north east corner of the house. Along the south side of my tree line, so that part of it will be shady, and part will have more sun. You can see this area in image #4 back in the area where the bench is right now, and from the other side in #10, and #11. We will be doing work on the house in the next year or two, so I don't want to do any work along side the house.

Another possibility is to put it in between the 2 trees you can see in image #3. Behind the bird feeder, this view is very similar to the one from my dining room window, which is the most used view in my house. In view #7 & #8 you can see the area looking towards the house. I would create a whole new garden room here too, extend and increase the bed already around the tree. I know the one tree is dead, and should come down. BUT it is the most interesting tree in my yard. I call it the "woodpecker" tree. It is always full of many varieties of woodpeckers. Including a Pileated woodpecker pair that come to visit in the early mornings!

If anyone has any other suggestions I am up for it! My yard is a mess, full of old oak trees, and newer young fruit trees. The fruit trees were planted helter skelter with no plan in mind, and the husband will NOT let me remove or move any of them! Not that I really want to, they are just now starting to produce.

Thank you!!

Jenny P

Here is a link that might be useful: My yard 2006

Comments (15)

Sponsored