SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Goodbye Bush Clover, hello stonehenge

schoolhouse_gw
10 years ago

Well, said goodbye to the Bush Clover shrub I had in a corner of the courtyard garden. I really can't remember when I planted it, but the first couple of years it was ok, bloomed nicely. Third season, began to flop as it grew taller. This year only half of it came up and that piece flopped way over even with some round supports I used.

I decided to dig it out of there and replace it with this big piece of sandstone block a friend gave me some 10yrs. ago. It and another piece have been laying near the privet arch, right inside a hedge gate where he tossed them. This one always looked like an obelisk to me and I knew I wanted it...somewhere someday. Only I decided it was best to turn the flat side outward from the garden, so you really can't see the obelisk shape standing in front of it. Debating whether I should turn it around. I'll have to take another photo of it from behind so you can see what I'm talking about. I dug a depression about 4" deep, filled it with gravel and then put sand ontop of that. The stone is sitting nice and solid.

I rolled that heavy sucker clear up to the garden from the privet arch and within 3' of where I wanted it. In order to get it between some Iris and the boxwood hedge, it needed to be tipped end over end - no way could I do that. So I called a guy that I pay to do small odd garden jobs just like this to come over. He brought a friend and they had it in place and upright in 20min. lol Oh well, it was worth the pocket change to not have a sore back.

Let me tell you digging that Bush Clover out was a job! I finally had to resort to the spud bar to dig and pry the roots loose. My goodness I never knew how extensive the root system was. Anyway, I had every intention of replanting it but it laid in the wheel barrel and basically the root ball dried up - what was left of it.

Comments (9)

Sponsored