SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
busyd95

Today's garden make-over

busyd95
17 years ago

Last summer's project was removing all grass from my urban front yard--a little more intensive than it sounds because I decided to berm an island in the center. 500# of filler, top soil, manure plus rocks in a day. Beautiful in its first summer. But the back yard showed signs of neglect.

I can't garden by plan (a major failing)--and every time I add structure (shrubs) to my yard, I lose sun--calling for a major re-construction because I love the blooms.

So I decided yesterday to remove just a "little" of the lawn in the back and trucked off to visit the nursery. Hold me back, everytime I asked if something was reduced, they said "yes". I had promised myself to buy only part sun plants--right--buy 2 at regular price, get one free--and of course I fell in love with Alpine Betany.

10 new perennials later...just need to take up a little more lawn to get the mix right--I added Hungarian Speedwell, Blue-Tipped Grass, Artemesia, Meadow Sage (a favorite), Lavender (right, no full sun plants), Pasque Flower, moved the Russian Sage to where it may do better, the hot pink phlox to a previously blah spot, laid stones to make a path thru the new garden, lashed a wood trellis for the climbing rose (Honey, can you make dinner?) and kissed the zinnias good night...

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022