SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hazelnutbunny

NEW: 'Make over my garden!' Swap

hazelnutbunny
15 years ago

HI Everyone!!

This is the time of year where we've been planting all spring & summer, taking care of the gardens...and we start to notice that everything is looking a little...well, WORN OUT!

Lucky for us, it's also the time of year when most garden centers are putting things on clearance, getting ready for the fall season. Yay!

This swap will be for anything & everything to make over (or at least help out!) with each other's gardens.

Things like tools (spades, bulb planters & baskets, gloves, etc..), garden pretties (windchimes, signs, etc..), container planting necessities (pots, fertilizer, water gauges...), garden help books, seeds for winter sowing......the list is endless!

Plants are great, but not required..... the heat & dry weather make shipping & planting difficult....so please check with your partner BEFORE sending.

No rules for this swap...just a few guidelines that I've found helpful in the past:

1- This is open to ALL members of GW - oldies, newbies, gals, guys, even if you have a purple octopus named George living in your back yard with your pet monkey named Phillip.........anyone OVER the age of 18.

2- No spending limit, but there WILL be a box size requirement, to keep the playing field even. All participants MUST send a PRIORITY FLAT RATE box of goodies.

Garden Items, only, please!

BUT PLEASE don't send something that YOU wouldn't want in YOUR garden. :O)

3- If you are a newbie, please understand that your partner may ask you to send your end first. This is a general safety rule in most swaps, and one that's been pretty helpful in the past. It's not usually a problem...but everyone should know that this is an option. :O)

4- HAVE FUN!!

Signups will be until August 10th. I will assign partners on the 11th. Packages should be mailed out no later than the 31st.

Melissa

Comments (84)

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We're expecting rain today! Yay! I never thought I'd be happy to see rain again, after all the flooding we had this spring...but a week or 2 without rain during the 100 degree temps can REALLY crisp things up a bit. LOL

Now, I'm off to pick up some stuff for the baby that I found on Freecycle. Yay again! Only bad thing is, the AC in the Suburban picked this week to go out, after we had the entire system replaced back in February!! And the shop won't do anything!! AGH! So we're having to do without, b'c we can't afford to fix it right now.
    Oh, well. Like my daddy used to say....."I've got a 4-55 air conditioner.....4 windows down at 55 miles an hour!!"
    It's funny the things we didn't grow up with, and never seemed to notice we didn't have...ALWAYS bother us when we lose them as adults. Oh well, I survived, and I'm sure my kids will too. As long as I don't go anywhere. LOL

Swapping:

Wendy
    Theresa
    Debbya
    Nikki
    Frenchfry
    Suzi

Game Guesses:

Theresa - 400
    Nikki - 498
    Kat - 325
    Vic - 602
    Fran - 275 & 725
    Frenchfry - 276 & 765
    Suzi - 800
    Flowers - 515 & 437

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Ya, it's funny how some ppl love the 'weeds' we hate! LOL
    I have tried to grow some invasive plants and have had no luck! Wisteria, honeysuckle, trumpet vine, and fosythia (that I think Melissa sent me cuttings of last yr) So far I have managed to kill them all :-(
    I've even killed ivy a couple times!

ok, one more guess 718
    (oh, that reminds me, I had hollyhocks one time, they never came back or reseeded or anything!)

Vic

• Related Discussions

new:WET My Feet! Water Gardening seed/plant swap

Q

Comments (86)
    Aloha all, my surgery went very well, so TY very much if you prayed for me. :) The surgical staff were only expecting one problem and they found 2. They did a great job, everything considered. I am still healing up and sore in spots, but despite this I already feel tons better than I did before I had the operation. :) I'm very grateful my health is turning around. About water chestnuts- I don't have a water garden (or water chestnuts) right now but I used to grow them when I lived in Calif. Some large cities such as San Francisco, CA and Houston, TX have a Chinatown. In Chinatown there are Asian veggie markets that sell fresh, unpeeled water chestnuts when they are in season. If you put an unpeeled fresh water chestnut in a water garden it can grow and multiply. Also, water chestnut is sold by a website that specializes in water plants. If you want the specific info please email me, so I can avoid spamming everyone with a merchant URL.
    ...See More

new weed taking over my garden

Q

Comments (5)
    Try & get some more pictures. It's too hard to tell by this little seedling because seedlings of all sorts look similar. Joe
    ...See More

NEW: Fall Swap-Make new Friends/keep the old ones

Q

Comments (2)
    Hello Rosie; This is very confusing as we have a Make New Friends group already. Please change the name of your new swap, maybe just "Keep the Old". Thanks. diene
    ...See More

NEW: Nth (?) Annual Theme Garden Swap

Q

Comments (141)
    Carrlinesue's package arrived today. I know Moonphase's will be here soon, so I am busily sorting & doing a preliminary check for each person on what was sent vs. what was sent in for them. One of the neat things about this swap is having two ways of packaging. Those that package by individual player make it very easy on the initial sort process. But of course, some of the things that are sent in for a player are the exact varieties they sent to others - since I try to send back all new stuff (don't always succeed 100%, but I have a pretty good track record), the ones who send in seeds packaged by themes they will fit into - and I decide where they go - make the second round much easier. It's all good! :) Kim, the master of the run-on sentence (yikes!)
    ...See More
  • jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Finally got some rain here! And it's cloudy today and still cooler! Maybe I can get more stuff planted finally! I have some seedling that are soooooo cramped in their pots! Just taking a moment to pop in and say "HI"!

Second guess... lemme see....740

Kat

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, even if you DON'T listen to country music or even if you DO and have heard this song a million times, the video is even cuter!! I laughed until I nearly pee'd my pants. (okay, maybe that's not saying much for a pregnant woman!! ) LOL

It's "MR MOM" by Lonestar!
    Watch it, gals!! This is one for EVERY mom!! :O)

Here is a link that might be useful: Mr Mom

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Heh, I adore that song too! It's one of my favorites!

Kat

• diene
    15 years ago

My first guess is 999. How's that?
    diene

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Bunny,

what a cute song and a funny video.

I'd like to guess that theres 515 seeds in your bag.

and...
    I have germination in two of the pots of daylily seeds that you sent me. How long before they are mature enough to bloom?

I'm sad see that your helping hand isn't being very helpful with the yard work lately! Maybe he needs a foot to get him going! lol

This swap sounds like it will be fun but I have two others to deal with in Aug, ones a trade and the other a round robin and I'll be away for two weeks. Maybe next time around.

Lisa

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    15 years ago

lol, so cute!. My second guess is 700.

Having a hard time typring. Got three stitches yesterday in finger. Shearing back spent yarrow carelessely :(

Theresa

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Vic~ That's it...no more cuttings for you, young lady! You cutting-killer, you!! LOL Only rooted plants from now on. :O)

Diene~ Nice to have you drop in on us!! Stay & chat awhile, if you can!

Kat~ Are you melting yet? lol Did ANY of that rain hit ya'll? We got teased by the thunder...and only a few sprinkles. UGH!

Lisa~ Hey Girl!! Uh...I'll be honest, and say "I don't have any idea" on the daylily seeds. LOL I've never grown them from seed, but I've heard that it can take about 2 years before they'll bloom.

Theresa~ I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to use garden shears to trim your nails, ya silly. LOL That's alot like my daddy using the chainsaw to trim his toenails...he ended up with only half a foot! (we tease him about that...he was actually cutting firewood in the middle of a snowstorm, and lost his footing on the icey ground...Anyway....)
    Hope you get to feeling better soon!! That's not fun, no matter how you did it!
    Um...but, does the yarrow look any better now?? :O)

Whew....I need one of those garden helpers that Marie requested (remember him, Vic?!) And maybe we'll just pass him around...have to find something for him to do during the winter....hmmmmmm.....

Swapping:

Wendy
    Theresa
    Debbya
    Nikki
    Frenchfry
    Suzi

Game Guesses:

Theresa - 400 & 700
    Nikki - 498
    Kat - 325 & 740
    Vic - 602 & 718
    Fran - 275 & 725
    Frenchfry - 276 & 765
    Suzi - 800
    Flowers - 515 & 437
    Diene - 999
    Lisa - 515

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Well, we got a *little* of that rain. More than I expected us to. I saw my fence and porch boards were still damp when I got up yesterday morning. We're still coming in under by a bout a foot of rainfall for the year. Several of the gardeners in the Oklahoma forum are giving up. It's costing so much to water and so many of the smaller towns are on watering and burn bans. Edmond isn't yet, thankfully. But I'm abiding by the voluntary watering schedule. I've still got some color in the front yard in the half moon and two round beds we made. There's marigolds and rose moss and dianthus and begonias still giving me some color. And the strappy Peruvian Lilies showing their leaves. My 4 o'clocks are giving a small showing. Everything else is wilting and struggling, even with deep watering three days a week. All these beds are sun/shade gardens, they get early evening sun and dappled shade the rest of the day.

In the back, I've still got tomatoes going, but they're having a hard time. Right now that's about all I've got in the ground back there. In the gazebo, still waiting to get planted from their seedling pots are cleosia, coleus, alyssum and harlequin ice plant. They're struggling and I think I'm going to have to just go ahead and clump plant them into one of my larger planters before I lose them. Inside I've still got the DLs and Iris you sent me, Melissa. They're doing great in a LARGE bowl of water that's changed daily, even showing some bright green and I think a couple of them have put on a little growth. They are going into the ground this evening. Cliff's gonna help me dig their holes. We'll probably start that sometime around 7 when it's cooling off and so they have a chance with some deep watering. Not to mention, I've had the soaker on this morning loosening the dirt and deep watering that bed so they'll have a chance. I'm also going to put up a shade cloth for about a week so they can establish. Maybe that way I won't lose them. They won't bloom til next year, but I would still really HATE to lose all those gorgeous blooms!

I keep thinking we're gonna get a break so I can get my fall veggies going, but now I'm beginning to wonder about that. I think I'm going to drop some buttercrunch lettuce in a container to keep in the really shady corner of the front yard. But as far as the others, I've already lost three okra plants and several melons and peppers. Those seedlings weren't as large as the flowers mentioned above and just could not make it. I'm gonna start some more seed for the rest of my fall crop and keep it inside for a bit, but I'm afraid it's gonna be too late if we do manage to get some milder weather and rain.

However, all of this has made some revisions to beds we're setting up for next year. I'm gonna do a lot more lasagna beds. Actually, all the beds will become lasagna before next spring. And this fall when the sales start, we're going to buy up a lot of soaker hoses and lay them into the beds, especially in the back because our backyard is pretty deep and there's just the water spigot on the back of the house to use. Just makes it too difficult in this kind of heat to alternate water days for different parts of the yard. Especially when it's all crying out for some relief every day. So, the soakers will help, especially since no one will have to keep an eye on the sprinklers and move them and try to ensure everything gets adequate water. The hoses coming from the house to run to the fence beds will be a little unsightly, but right now we can't afford to have an underground system put in, and besides, we're renting here anyway.

Most of the herbs in my beds are drying up all by themselves. They're really not liking this heat at all. But, on the positive side, I won't have to worry about drying them all. Just pluck them and package.

Uggg..

But, I told myself that this year would be a learning experience for living in a new area. I now have a binder full of notes for things to change next year.

Kat

• suze62
    15 years ago

Well we got a little of the good O wet stuff today also.
    And I would love some of those seed :~)
    2nd guess~1,000 thats what I started to guess in the first place.
    Suzi

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Okay, I'd like to take my second guess. I asked my dh to take a look and he says to guess 2000, sometimes I think he's nuts but the last time I didn't listen to him he was right!!

I hate that!!!!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Hey Melissa,

If it's acceptable to all, I think I should pull out of this swap. Due to my mom's passing.... I just don't think I can put the effort in it deserves. Please let me know if this is ok.

Thankyou to all of you that responded on the other post and your kind and encouraging words, it was wonderful (and tearful!) to read thru..

Hugs,
    Wendy / sassybutterfly_2008

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Swapping:

Wendy
    Theresa
    Debbya
    Nikki
    Frenchfry
    Suzi

Game Guesses:

Theresa - 400 & 700
    Nikki - 498
    Kat - 325 & 740
    Vic - 602 & 718
    Fran - 275 & 725
    Frenchfry - 276 & 765
    Suzi - 800 & 1000
    Flowers - 515 & 437
    Diene - 999
    Lisa - 515 & 2000

Great guesses, girls! Looks like everyone has a second guess in except Nikki & Diene! I'm still gonna keep ya'll in suspense, and wait to post the winner when I post partners. That will also give anyone else that signs up a chance to play, too! :O)

Kat~ Sounds like you're going to be VERY busy next year!! It'll be worth it, though, don't you think? :O)
    I've been looking at everyone's flower beds & gardens and mine just look so miserable in comparision! This fall, I"m going to put my kids to work, getting these beds in shape! LOL

I spent yesterday baking up a storm! I always bake when I get the least bit emotional (usually when I"m feeling blue, so I can eat to make myself feel better! LOL)
    I ended up making 2 strawberry & blueberry pies, 1 apple pie, a blueberry coffee cake, refrigerator pickles (4 jars of them, and I only stopped at that because I ran out of vinegar!), a peach crumble, muffins and then cooked omelets & homemade yeast rolls for supper!
    Hubby came home, noticed all the baked goods..and says...nervously...."uh, hon? how was your day??"
    LOL Scared the poor man, I tell ya. Although, he was happy enough to eat some of everything! :O)

Today, though, I'm limiting myself to just ONE coffee cake, to give to my daddy when he comes up on Sunday.
    Famous last words, huh?? :O)

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Oh, it will definitely be worth it. Just a little disheartened right now because there's not a lot else I can do to keep them going this year. But, I can take cuttings and root them for some of the various ground covers that I want to continue with. Cliff and I discussed last night that we're just going to start preparing for next year and start pulling and composting things as they die back. We're also going to work on some rain barrels, have them ready to put out next year. We're thinking about perhaps a couple of freestanding ones in the corners of the back fence. Then at least I could use them for watering early in the year and we'll put any savings on the water bill into a garden fund for either watering later in the summer or towards new plants or gardening supplies. We're also discussing a small water feature towards the back of the yard, perhaps a small pond with a waterfall. I told him since we're still just renting here, I'd really rather come up with something that will stay above ground. Then if we decide to buy this house in a couple years, we could either leave it as is, or drain it and drop it inground. And if we move, we can simply take it with us. Though he's not crazy about gardening, he does like to brainstorm and design stuff. And he told me last night he hates seeing me not smile and when i look at my gardens the last few days, I'm not smiling like I usually do.

So, if anyone has any garden designs they'd like to share, we're open to suggestions. I do know that next year I'm going to do more Ice plant because it's cute and drought hardy. The one that I keep making cuttings with is a heartleaf with the cutest little red flowers. I'll probably leave the parent plant in it's pot and bring it inside this winter. The boys really like it and the coleus. Vince is wanting more coleus for his bed, and anxious about being able to get those seedlings out of their pot and planted. He's been babying them in the gazebo, not wanting to lose them.

Kat

• lovebnretired
    15 years ago

I would like to join in.
    Being a newbie, today is the first I have signed up for this type of gardening fun.
    Boy O Boy do I have a variety of items I can choose from to swap with.

Lovebnretired zone 6b

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Well, the boys finally got to plant out their seedlings last night. Devin was all interested in planting some of the Rainbow Mix Coleus and especially the Wheatstraw Celosia. He called the cleosia "bottle rockets". He thought they looked like a bottle rocket taking off :) Vince was interested in planting out everything I had potted :) He put in the two mentioned above plus Johnny Jump Ups and Alyssum. He's planning to plant some wax begonias that I still have in six-pack cells this evening. LOL, NONE of the seedlings made it to my half moon bed or Fairy bed in the front! They claimed them all! I just checked on their new transplants and they look great this morning, so far no signs of shock, but we'll see how they look this afternoon. I love watching the two of them garden. They enjoy it so much! Tommy and Jarret have been grousing because after they moved, they miss out on all of it. Every time they come over, the boys have something new to show them in their gardens. And Cliff is so supportive of their gardening. He praises and ohhs and ahhhs over it all. It's wonderful to see a man who has NO interest in gardening help out and without complaint dig holes for me and make such a big deal out of the boys' gardens! He usually has that confused look you see when you talk plants with someone who doesn't have a clue, but he always asks the boys questions and they can explain about different plants and what they need :)

The DLs and Iris that Melissa sent me are looking good this morning too. A few of the leaves have gotten just a little floppy, but I think they'll be fine in a few days. No browning or anything, they're still a luscious green :)

I'm gonna get my pink eyed purple hull peas that Nikki sent me planted this evening. Hopefully they will still have time to mature and produce. I'm only going to plant a few of them cause it's so late and the seeds are viable for several years. That way I'll have some in hand next year as well. But I really don't think that being two weeks off on getting them planted will make that much difference.

I'm still trying to decide what fall veggies I want to put in with the drought we have going on. Watering what I have as far as plants and flowers is already becoming a chore. I'm just hoping I can keep whatever veggie seed I put in damp enough to germinate and pray that rain starts up again in a couple weeks. The only good part about all this is that we usually have a good long growing season in this area. And I do know that I'm going to wintersow a lot more stuff next year as well as start my fall stuff earlier to get them up to size before drought time can burn them up. The okra seedlings I had just were not big enough to stand up to it.

As I said, this year was my big learning year about gardening in Edmond. Lots of lessons learned.

Kat

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome, Loveb!! Good to have you! :O)
    Be sure to put in a guess for the game (you'll see it a few posts up!)

Glad to hear the DL's are doing good, Kat! I got a box full from Shirley in the OBF swap this week, and I've been babying them all week. UGH, it's just been so HOT HOT HOT!!! You can't walk outside without losing your breath or feeling like a lead weight is on your chest. Not to mention the air feels like cling wrap when you walk through it!!

I can't WAIT until October.
    That's my favorite time of year...cool, crisp evenings...leaves changing color..getting to wear all my Mr. Rogers sweaters!! :O)

Swapping:

Wendy
    Theresa
    Debbya
    Nikki
    Frenchfry
    Suzi
    Loveb

Game Guesses:

Theresa - 400 & 700
    Nikki - 498
    Kat - 325 & 740
    Vic - 602 & 718
    Fran - 275 & 725
    Frenchfry - 276 & 765
    Suzi - 800 & 1000
    Flowers - 515 & 437
    Diene - 999
    Lisa - 515 & 2000

• lovebnretired
    15 years ago

I'll guess 653 & 847
    There are some randon numbers for you.

Here in Knoxville, TN. we are having a down pour almost daily lasting anywhere from 10 to 30 mins. Normally it is dry and HOT all July and Aug.
    The gardens everwhere look great. It is so hot you can not work long and so sticky you can't stay dry. A real bummer to me. I am up and out in the dirt/mud about 7:30 AM and dripping by 7:45 AM. UGH!! The dog doesn't even want to stay out. Some dog days of summer we are having.

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Only a few more days for signups!!

The high temp today is supposed to be 104 or around there..a supposed "high"..but the bank sign yesterday said 107!! That's just TOO DANG HOT!!! And the sign wasn't even in total sun!! AGH!

Swapping:

Wendy
    Theresa
    Debbya
    Nikki
    Frenchfry
    Suzi
    Loveb

Game Guesses:

Theresa - 400 & 700
    Nikki - 498
    Kat - 325 & 740
    Vic - 602 & 718
    Fran - 275 & 725
    Frenchfry - 276 & 765
    Suzi - 800 & 1000
    Flowers - 515 & 437
    Diene - 999
    Lisa - 515 & 2000
    Loveb - 653 & 847

• frenchfrylegs1
    15 years ago

ok let me get this right,( messed up envie on newbie swap), you wrote:: No spending limit, but there WILL be a box size requirement, to keep the playing field even. All participants MUST send a PRIORITY FLAT RATE box of goodies, I seen 2 boxes one was $9.80 the other was $12.95 ...which one do we send?? Not wanting to send an unfair amount is all..I am assuming it is the $12.95 but want to make sure.
    Polly

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great question, Polly!
    The smaller flat rate will be fine (the $9.80). There are 2 different shaped boxes for that rate, a square-ish one, and then the long, thinner rectangular one. Either box will be fine. If you find you can't fit all your goodies in either box, then by all means, feel free to use the larger box if you'd like. I was able to fit a large spade, fertilizer, sheers and TONS of other goodies in the smaller flat rate box last month. But, of course, if you have something breakable that requires some extra cushioning...like windchimes or a bird feeder, for instance..you may want to use the larger size, simply so you have room for the bubble wrap plus other goodies. :O)
    Totally up to you!

Okie dokie...I"m off to start a surprise party for my oldest. William is turning 12 today! Gosh, how time flies!!!
    He had an orthodontist appointment this morning (how he was hating that!!! lol) so he, dad & a younger brother are out. Dad is keeping them busy for a few hours after, so I can get things together here. He's getting a guitar for his birthday! I'm so excited! It's just a basic, cheap starter acoustic model...but he's wanted one for YEARS and we could never afford it. This year, things just worked out for us.
    Anyway!
    Off to frost the cake & hang decorations!

Have a great Tuesday, everyone!! :O)

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Melissa,
    I think you missed the post from Wendy dropping out d/t her Mom's Passing.

Wendy,
    Hope you are doing better, "Big Hug"

Vic

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Gosh, I wish I could join this one, it sounds like so much fun. BUT I blew my budget on plant purchases this month...
    :(, Bunny, I told you I'd let you know b4 time.

Count me out...boohoo...

:) Fran

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ya know, Vic...Sad thing is..I totally KNEW that, but for some reason, didn't update the list. DUH.

Wendy~ You know that's fine, sweetie! We're all here for you & you just take all the time you need. *hugs*

Fran~ I understand how that is. :O)

Swapping:

Theresa
    Debbya
    Nikki
    Frenchfry
    Suzi
    Loveb

Game Guesses:

Theresa - 400 & 700
    Nikki - 498
    Kat - 325 & 740
    Vic - 602 & 718
    Fran - 275 & 725
    Frenchfry - 276 & 765
    Suzi - 800 & 1000
    Flowers - 515 & 437
    Diene - 999
    Lisa - 515 & 2000
    Loveb - 653 & 847

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Kat,
    Hang in there! Gardening in a new climate is a challenge! Trust me I know first hand! LOL if you look at the obf picture thread from june you will see the mess I'm working with. And we are on a cistern - that is a 2000 gal tank sunk into the ground, that's our only water source, when we need water we pay a truck to come fill it up! It is a pain in the @@@!! It's hot and dry and I have no shade! Fortunately this place had a grey water tank setup when we moved in, which was nasty because no one had used it. Now that I've got it going it is basically my ONLY water source for plants. When they look really bad I do laundry that day so I can water them! LOL

BUT, my washer is not hooked up to the tank, so I have a hose that comes in the bedroom window, down the hall to the washer outlet. It works fine, except for the one time I forgot to hook the hose up! YEP! The hallway got a major soaking! LOL

Just remember when getting new plants, think DROUGHT TOLERANT! I know I'm not giving up yet, even with the water issues, and the dry rocky clay soil! LOL

Vic

• lovebnretired
    15 years ago

MUST BOW OUT OF THIS EXCHANGE !!!!
    My van had to be towed to dealership this morning....
    Bad news just comes in waves at me.

Dealership called back saying 2 sensors and 2 belts must be replaced totaling over $1,500.00. It seems to get to the sensors they have to remove the engine cover and water pump. OUCH on labor !!!!

I did not even know there was sensors in vehicles. I just know it would not start. Of course, these are not covered under the warrenty - so what is new with that statement?. I am still making payments and it hurts. O, it hurts so bad.

Being widowed, retired and on a fixed income THIS is a major $$$ blowER. Therefore, I must back out of all swaps and trades not already in the mail.

I am truly sorry. I was looking forward to packaging and recieving the boxes.

I am guessing it will take me 2 months to get myself back $$$ level again.

I will keep reading your post. I do enjoy getting to know you all.

Lovebnretired [hateBnBroke]

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Loveb~ Let me just say.....OUCH!! Holy cow. Been there, done that...had my truck towed back in February because it caught fire! Had to have the entire AC & cooling system replaced. Agh!
    You're right....IT HURTS!!!! Right in the ol' wallet!
    So sorry to hear that happened to you. I do hope you stick around & chat...we'd love to get to know you better! :O)

Vic~ You have my sympathy.... LOL A cistern? Eeeek, that does NOT sound like fun in the hot & dry MT weather!
    Ya know.....I saw an incredibly neat desert garden in a magazine once. Everything in it was recycled (except for plants...I'm assuming...) The "fence" was actually just old sticks & tree limbs - different sizes & lengths. They had made benches & seats out of rocks and everything actually looked very lush & green....even though everything was either a cactus or some other drought tolerant plant! It wouldn't fit in here, but it looked so cool there ( I think it was in AZ).

Swapping:

Theresa
    Debbya
    Nikki
    Frenchfry
    Suzi

Game Guesses:

Theresa - 400 & 700
    Nikki - 498
    Kat - 325 & 740
    Vic - 602 & 718
    Fran - 275 & 725
    Frenchfry - 276 & 765
    Suzi - 800 & 1000
    Flowers - 515 & 437
    Diene - 999
    Lisa - 515 & 2000
    Loveb - 653 & 847

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Time for something fun. (yay!)

Tell us....."If you could be any garden tool, what would you be? And why?"
    AND....."As that garden tool, tell us what your *dream* plant would be. And why?"

You can be silly or serious...Just be honest! :O)

As always, you DO NOT have to be participating in the swap to play.
    Everyone has until Friday to post their answers, and then everyone will vote for their favorite answer. The one with the most votes will get a little gardening surprise!

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Whahoo, a game,,,
    let's see I think I would be a hand spade, cuz it is a multitasking tool. You can use it to plant, pull weeds, as a small shovel, and just about anything else.

As a hand shovel, my dream plant would be...an oak tree, because with my tiny self, I could plant the little acorn that will turn into the mighty oak, which gives shade and shelther to both humans and creatures great and small. The oak which grows so big and tall, this would give me the most pleasure of all. To know that I had a handle in helping the mighty oak grow to shade you all, for without my help he wouldn't have grown so big and tall, not a bit, not at all.

Gosh, I'm sleepy...how (a)corny was that?

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yay, Fran! That was NUTerriffic!!! :O)

Next???

• ebcslp
    15 years ago

This sounds like a lot of fun! I am a "newbie", would love to be part of the exchange, and will be more than happy to send my box first to my buddy. I'm going to start gathering some things right now!!
    Erin

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Erin!! Welcome to the swap! Come right in & tell us a bit about yourself!! :O)
    Don't forget to take a guess at the 'how many seeds are in this bag?" game at the top of the thread, and also, if you like, drop in an "essay" in the other game! :O)

Yay, we're getting THUNDERSTORMS!!! Woo-Hoo!!! Rain RAIN come today, make the burn ban go away!!! :O)

Kat~ Are you getting any rain over there?? Or did it miss you completely? AGAIN?? :O)

How is everyone ELSE doing on this mighty fine, wet Thursday morning?? :O)

Don't forget to put in your essays, gals!! :O) Otherwise, Fran will be the Winner, since she is the only one that has played so far! Good for her, bad for the rest of ya!! LOL

Swapping:

Theresa
    Debbya
    Nikki
    Frenchfry
    Suzi
    Erin

Game Guesses:

Theresa - 400 & 700
    Nikki - 498
    Kat - 325 & 740
    Vic - 602 & 718
    Fran - 275 & 725
    Frenchfry - 276 & 765
    Suzi - 800 & 1000
    Flowers - 515 & 437
    Diene - 999
    Lisa - 515 & 2000
    Loveb - 653 & 847

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Melissa, send me some rain please!!!
    We always have a burn ban on here and now they just put a smoking ban into effect, no smoking outside period! Only in your house or a building, that is for the idiots that throw there ciggys out the window or down on the ground when we already have several fires going now! They even started getting cigs in this state that have something in them that is supposed to make it go out if it is just setting/lying there. Not sure how that works...... but it's pretty bad ya have to do stuff like that d/t ignorance!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Okay, I'll play.

I'd like to be a, um, I don't know what the name is, a bulb digger? The one you plunge into the ground to make a hole for a bulb. Help me out Ladies!!

I would like to be a bulb digger because I would make life easier for the tired gardener to get bulbs, winter sown hos and small tubers in the ground.

The plant I would like to be is a snowdrop because I would be one of the first to bloom after a long winter. I would love to be the one to bloom first to welcome spring and all the beauty that it brings.

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just a quick review of our SWAPPERS:

Theresa
    Debbya
    Nikki
    Frenchfry
    Suzi
    Erin

Correct me, please, if I've missed anyone or otherwise goobered! :O)
    I'll be posting partners on Sunday night or Monday morning, so there are still a few days left if anyone wants to join in!

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

If I could be any tool, I would like to be a watering hose or system. That way I could keep my human's soil moist and keep the flowers and veggies she worked so hard to get and germinate and babied along as seedlings cool, with enough moisture to create beautiful blooms and huge healthy veggies for her family to enjoy. I would work very hard to keep her from having to stand for hours holding me, trying to make sure she gives each plant enough water to be healthy and strong without being over watered. I think I would really enjoy laying among all those plants, a silent sentinel to keep guard against that horrible Drought thing. And since I would be so long, I would be able to enjoy everything she's planted in all their different little beds. And she would pat and stroke me and tell me what a good watering system I am and how proud she is of me for doing such a wonderful job not letting her plants die. And she would make sure I knew how much she appreciates me, especially when the sun and heat are making all the pretty plants droop. What plant would I favor most? Gosh, that's a hard question! But good reporters are suppose to ask questions that make us think, right? You did say you were a reporter for GardenWeb, right? The most famous gardening site around! Oh! The question... my favorite plant... well, I think I would have to choose more than one, if that's alright. It is? Great! Hmm..well, in the srping, I would like to be close enough to really see the crocus and then the daffodils, but I'm usually put away in the shed so the cold doesn't make cracks in my skin. I very much like visiting with the tomatoes, they are so silly when they're young! And I do like the Morning Glories, the way they climb and climb! They're like little monkeys! The daylilies are really pretty and I watch closely when I see they're getting ready to bloom! And the Iris! They are so tall and majestic! The little Marigolds are really cute, my owner favors the French Dwarf ones, and they are so pretty with their deeper colors, and they have really funny accents. They keep some of the bad bugs away, so I really appreciate them cause that means we don't have to have chemicals in the gardens and it doesn't get on me or my humans. Chocolate mint is really nice to smell, but I don't get to be close to it cause it's kept in pots.

There are s many plants, but these are just a few of my favorites!

Kathy

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Hellooooooooo..eelloooo.. elloo *listening to the lonely echo*

Kat

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, Girls! Here are the "tools" we have so far! Since there are only 3 players, we will score these on a scale of 1-5, for 3 catagories: Creativity, Originality & Just plain "I like it this much". :O)

I will give everyone until Sunday Morning to cast their votes. Please be un-partial, fair & frank in your answers! We're all grownups, so no one will be offended.
    I hope.
    :O)
    I will add together the scores & post the winner of this game & the seed game at the same time.

Here we go:

The players are:

Fran -hand shovel & oak tree
    Lisa -bulb digger & snowdrops
    Kat -water system &....everything with roots!

I'll score first, so that no one feels weird about doing it. (I know I always hate to be the first one to voice my opinion!!!)

Fran -Originality:4
    Creativity:3
    I-L-IT:4

Lisa -Originality:3
    Creativity: 3
    I-L-IT: 4

Kat - Originality:4
    Creativity:4

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Well, we got enough rain the yesterday to barely dampen my gazebo roof.. and nothing today, we're forecast for rain tonight and tomorrow, so I'm still hoping, but don't think it's gonna happen. So I'll be lugging hoses around again tomorrow evening more than likely.

But something cool happened yesterday, I posted something I got in the MNF Garden Junk thread. It kinda fit with the theme. So, that improved my mood. I'm getting kinda grumpy with all this dry heat!

Anxious for everyone to vote! Those were some wonderful entries! I think I'm gonna refrain from voting though, cause it really wouldn't be fair since of course I like mine best! And I adore getting goodies! Hehehehe :P

Kat

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

So.....does everyone get to vote??

This is hard to do, I could never be a school teacher! LOL
    I like them all!

Fran -Originality:5
    Creativity:5
    I-L-IT:5

Lisa -Originality: 5
    Creativity: 5
    I-L-IT: 5

Kat - Originality: 5

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

LOL! ok ok!
    I can somehow sense a bunny tapping her foot and threatening to hit me with a carrot!

Fran -Originality:5
    Creativity:5
    I-L-IT:5

Lisa -Originality: 5

I think they were all original and creative, but my favorite was the sappy, um, (a)corny one

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    15 years ago

I hate to do this but I am going to have to pull out of this swap. My parents came down to visit and when they visit they don't just "visit". They tore apart my kitchen for a remodel we have been needing to do but they didn't get it finished before they had to leave. Now we are overwhelmed with the mess and everything that needs to be done. On top of that I start back to work on Monday (teaching) so my life is total chaos right now. There is never a good time to tear apart a kitchen but this was really not the right time. At least this work will finally get done but I may lose my mind first.

Anyway, so sorry. I really did want in on this one. You all have fun!

Theresa

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Theresa,
    Good Luck on finishing it! I bet you are pretty crazy right now! I used to live with someone who's Dad did stuff like that all the time! We were having a pole barn put up and I woke up one morning and he was out talking to the cement guy, changed the door size, he wanted a bigger one. We had to special order a huge garage door, reorder the header, it was a mess! Then he packed up and went back to FL

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Awww....! :O(
    Theresa~ I understand..but I'm still sad to see you go. LOL
    There's always next time, right?? :O)

*poing*
    Vic...that was me, throwing a carrot at your head! You bad girl, you!! :O)
    Okay, I got your vote down though...Hope your brain didn't explode with the effort! LOL

Come on, everyone! Put in your votes!!! I know Kat is anxiously waiting, as Fran & Lisa are, I'm sure!!! :O)

Melissa

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

*poing* that is ringing through my head now, thanks bunny...LOL.

If this was for September, I would love to join...ummm, what's gonna be going on for September???

• frenchfrylegs1
    15 years ago

Ok I will vote I am in awe of the things you guys came up with...good luck all!!!

Fran - Creativity:5
    Originality: 5
    Lisa - Originality:5
    Polly

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmmm.....I dunno, Fran! If you have some ideas, be sure to let us know!
    In fact, ANYONE that has ideas, please throw them around. We can discuss, and see if everyone would like to have a swap next month! :O) I'm pretty sure that MNF will be having a good one, so we'll see what they are planning and go from there. I know most of us can only participate in one or 2 a month, so unless we have an idea that's different from the MNF...... :O)

Thanks for voting, Polly! I am feeling bad, I'm the only one that didn't give someone a 5!!! LOL

I'm working on the partners list, and will have it up tomorrow. Here are the swappers I'm working with....please let me know if I've forgotten to add or delete someone!

Debbya
    Nikki
    Frenchfry
    Suzi
    Erin

Have a great night, everyone!!
    Melissa

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Hi Polly,
    Send me your address.

Thanks,
    Deb

• ebcslp
    15 years ago

Sorry for the delay in introducing myself (we switched computers and have been without until today). Last fall my husband and I moved to a new-to-us house (1 acre) in San Antonio that literally had 3 trees and a few bushes. I decided to dive into gardening and try to add some color and life to our home. I started flower seeds for the first time last winter/spring and a lot of them grew. Now, I believe I am addicted. When my husband can't find me, he knows I'm out picking the "little grenades" off of my four o'clocks or looking for something to dead head and get the seeds out of. Of course, I've had quite a few failures, but those just get thrown over the fence and we don't talk about 'em. :-) I look forward to becoming active on GW, it seems like a lot of fun! Thanks again for letting me join!