SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sierra_z2b

First Seed Catalog arrived

sierra_z2b
18 years ago

Got my first seed catalog for 2006, this week.....from Stokes....the rest won't be far behind now. :-)

Sierra

Comments (121)

• SeaOtterCove
    18 years ago

I happened to come across this company when I was looking up a plant. They don't sell seeds but they do carry unusual plants. Hence they can be pricey. But where else would you find Dahlias that can grow to 108" tall? Good luck getting that one to bloom here before first frost.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Delights

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Botanus's website is up and running, but I'm kind of dissapointed, I see not much that is really "new" and is it just me, but it seems that the prices have gone up once again! I have a coupon for 2 free Courier LA Lilies, so I may as well place an small order ;)
    Has anyone seen a Botanus coupon in the Canadian Gardening magazine, they usually have a free plant coupon in the back part of the mag, but I haven't seen any lately?

I did place a plant order last night with
    Dominion Seed House
    Arisaema triphyllum Jack in the Pulpit (I did sow seeds of this one last fall, but I'm buying a plant for back-up)
    Asarum canadense Canadian Wild Ginger
    Astilboides tabularis
    Chrysanthemum arcticum ÂRed Chimo (3)
    Cypripedium reginae Showy Lady's-Slipper
    Dracunculus vulgaris Voodoo Lily
    Lysimachia clethroides Gooseneck Loosestrife (3)
    Physostegia virginiana ÂVariegata Variegated Obedient Plant (3)
    Veronica whitleyi (3)

Marilena orders plants from Plants Delight, I know they are expensive but oh soooo rare!

Nice seeds Savona! Go, Grow, Girl! Thanks for listing them ;)

Sharon

• Related Discussions

Peach Stella Daylilies

Q

Comments (3)
    I believe I saw an add from Dominion seed house (or a card included) in Cdn Gardening magazine as well. I am wondering if the color is as 'peachy' as the picture indicates. I know sometimes I see a picture in a catalogue and when I actually buy the plant the color is a bit different. My "blueberry sundae" daylily was more purple when it bloomed, but the picture (it was from McFayden's) looked more blueish. Having said that, I know nothing about peach stella, so will reserve my judgement. I found the regular stella didn't bloom much for me so I think I will wait a year or two and see what the concensus is on this new 'peach' stella. Glen
    ...See More

First seed catalogue :)

Q

Comments (10)
    I'm sure all the online sources are giving some seed companies a run for their money. I like the print catalogues, too. I've just got the Stokes catalogue so far - besides Wm Dam, I'm not sure which other ones I'll get because I've only been ordering from Stokes & Wm Dam. I've got a shopping cart already started at Stokes - I thought I might try the Toscana Strawberries, Santa Cruz Begonia and the new hanging pansies, and they all need to be started early.
    ...See More

First Catalog arrived

Q

Comments (1)
    I agree. I just wish his catalog had more pictures in it. Shadow
    ...See More

Seed catalogues arriving and I'm not thrilled

Q

Comments (3)
    Carol, While I can't think of anything specific at the moment, I also have gotten the feeling that there are fewer choices, less of the unusual and more of the run-of-the-mill stuff. I think part of it is, as you said, that they need to supply what sells the most. Another factor could be that fewer people may start seeds nowadays, since everybody's in a hurry, and they have more spendable cash for plants. Instant gratification! I remember, as a child, when my grandpa would get his annual Burpee's catalogue, and I'd wonder at all the exotic plants and flowers! And even plant catalogues are less now, Logee's is one prime example. When Byron's mother was in charge, they had way, way more items! Now the selection is quite limited, not to mention MUCH more expensive. I know it's not cheap to heat greenhouses, nor pay a staff nowadays, but I wonder if it is only that. At least now we can search the internet and still find most of what we want......if we even know it exists! That was the nice thing about browsing a catalogue...that you might discover something new at every turn of a page!
    ...See More
  • Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Oh yes, I forgot I also placed a small order with McFaydens.

Salvia nemorosa 'Plumosa' Violet Sage plant
    Dahlia Decorative Akita (this one is supposed to bloom early, will see)
    Zinnia Candy Cane seed
    Kale Crane Series F1 Rose seed

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    18 years ago

I've been so tempted with Lady Slippers and trilliums, too, and i may just order some from somewhere...

Sharon, i was kind of disappointed in Botanus too. I haven't gotten a Canadian Gardening magazine lately, so i haven't seen a coupon either. Anyway, back to Botanus - the things i did like all said "Limited Supply", so i may just have to break my not-till-the-end-of-the-month VISA vow! :)

• marilenav1
    18 years ago

Yes, I did succumb and ordered from Plants Delights nursery. Fortunately, I ordered with a group otherwise it would have been too expensive as the phytosanitary certificate cost is $75.00 US!

Since last year I had seen their Giant Thai Colocasia and wanted to purchase it. So I wound up getting:

Acanthus 'Summer Beauty'
    Agave havardiana
    Anisacanthus wrightii
    Baptisia 'Chocolate Chip'
    Brugmansia 'Sunset'
    Canna 'Constitution'
    Canna indica 'Red Stripe'
    Colocasia esculenta 'Coffee Cups'
    Colocasia gigantea Thailand Giant Strain (9 feet tall)
    Edgeworthia chrysantha
    Polygonum cuspidatum 'Crimson Beauty'
    Zantedeschia aethiopica 'White Giant' (7' tall)
    Spigelia gentianoides

On top of that, Gardenimports new catalogue came up and I ordered from them too:

Ornithogalum saundersiae
    Hippeastrum 'Papilio'
    Rose 'Rose Marie'
    Albucca shawii
    Galtonia viridiflora
    Rose 'Compassion'
    Berberis thunbergii 'Concorde'
    Viburnum trilobum

From Veseys:

Dahlia 'Mom's Special'
    Malva 'Primley Blue'
    Passiflora incarnata
    Arisarum proboscideum (Mouse Plant)

I also ordered from Klehm's Song Sparrow Nursery quite a lot of shrubs and a tree peony. They sent me their catalogue in the mail and it has to be the most beautiful catalogue I've ever seen and oh, so tempting. They have an excellent reputation and once again this was a group order which makes the shipping fees and phytosanitary certificate far less costly. From Song Sparrow I got:

Acer shir. 'Autumn Moon'
    Berberis thunbergii 'Helmond Pillar'
    Calycanthus florida 'Michael Lindsay'
    Cercidiphyllum japonica 'Red Fox'
    Chionanthus v.'Emerald Knight'
    Eleutherococcus s. 'Variegatus'
    Fothergilla g. Beaver Creek
    Ginkgo biloba 'Summer Rainbow'
    Parthenocissus 'Fenway Park'
    Tree Peony 'Right Royal'

And finally, I ordered dahlias from Swan Island Nursery in Oregon. I find they have the best dahlias and although I know that T&T is less expensive, I didn't receive healthy tubers from them last season (2 of them grew a little but never bloomed and the other one died):

Dahlia Hot Tamale
    Dahlia Maniac
    Dahlia Gitts Respect
    Dahlia Swan's Sunset
    Dahlia Vassio Meggos

And that's it for me. I haven't bought plants for myself in 2 years (violins please) and yes I know that I went hog wild! I am way over budget and will probably get in trouble if my husband sees my Visa statement. I hope I get to the mail first.

• SeaOtterCove
    18 years ago

Hi Mary,

Thanks for the heads up on Plants Delight and the phytosanitary certificate. I hadn't gotten that far on their website. I won't be ordering from there then. I guess I'll try to find other suppliers that carry the few things that I liked. Mainly I was interested in a couple of their Clematis and Dahlias.

Syreeta

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh Ohhhhhhh...I picked up 3 more packs of seed today.

Annual Lupin..Dwarf Fairy Pink...says sweet pea scented.
    Sweet Pea Miss Vilmott
    buy 2 get a choice from four different packs free...
    Free Rudbeckia Cherokee Sunset is what I chose.

Sierra....finished buying seed now..

• Pudge 2b
    18 years ago

Oh, good choice on the free packet, Sierra - Cherokee Sunset are my favourite, have been growing them every year for about 5 years. I've tried the other Rudbeckia's, but (IMO) no other compares.

18 years ago

How close is this to the end of January? :> Obviously, i've succumbed! Here's the Botanus order:

Aster dumosus 'Schneekissen'
    Hemerocallis hybrida 'First Knight'
    Heucherella 'Stoplight'
    Phlox subulata 'Candy Stripe'
    Trillium undulatum (2 of them)

Like i said, some of them were limited. I had to order!

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Nice seeds and plants gals!

Well, I gave in to my weakness and ordered these seeds from JL Hudson tonight...

Clitoria ternatea Butterfly Pea (I'm excited about this one, any tips, I will most likely over winter it in a pot that's if it germinates).
    Collinsia heterophylla Chinese Houses (I grew this years ago, should be a good one for WS'ing).
    Cuphea ignea Firecracker Plant(anyone grow this one,I'm excited about this one too?)
    Datura metel Triple Yellow (Pretreated with GA-3)
    Erigeron speciosus grandiflorus
    Eupatorium cannabinum
    Gypsophila elegans Covent Garden (I love this mingling in with other plants).
    Helianthus annuus Red Sun
    Helianthus occidentalis
    Helichrysum Purple Ball
    Ipomoea purpurea Grandpa Ott's (I grow this one every year but I noticed that I only had a few seeds left).
    Lychnis flos-cuculi Ragged Robin (I hope this is hardy?)
    Nicandra physalodes Black Rod (I'm wondering if this is the same as the regular one, which I don't want, I couldn't find any photos on the net?)
    Ocimum Basilicum Dark Opal Basil
    Passiflora caerulea (Well Shauna, I told you that I was just going to go buy a plant this year and heck with the seeds, but dang, I've got to try again, this time I'm going to do a GA-3 soak first).
    Polemonium pauciflorum (since Lori highly recommended this one ;)

Good Night Everyone!
    Sharon

• ian_bc_north
    18 years ago

Anyone know when Gardens North sends out their catalogues? I am still waiting for that one.
    Botanus emailed that they had sent out their catalogue but it hasnÂt got here yet.

Sharon I was tempted by Dominion SeedÂs Cypripedium reginae Showy Lady's-Slipper but I just couldnÂt justify it to myself.
    I wonder about how one goes and propagates these guys.

Here are my orders from the catalogues so far.

Dominion Seed House
    Flower seed
    Helianthus Annus---Sunflower Hyb. Cherry Rose
    Papaver nudicaule---Poppy "Solar Fire"
    Viola cornuta "Angel Tiger Eye"
    Viola sylettas---Violets

Houseplant seed
    Cactus mix

Plants
    Datura "Ballerina"
    Euphorbis polychroma "First blush"
    Hemerocallis "Navajo Princess"
    Lilium "Landini"
    Spiraea x bumalda "Sparkling Carpet"
    Tricyrtis hirta hyb. Mix
    Trillium grandiflorum

Veseys
    Flower seed
    Clarkia unguiculata "Double Mixed"
    Diantus deltoides---Dianthus "Arctic Fire"
    Lathryus odoratus---Sweet Peas "Matucana"
    Viola---Violas "Penny Orchard Frost"
    Viola x wittrockiana---Snow Pansies mix
    Viola x wittrockiana---Pansy "Springtime Cassis"

Vegetable seed
    Cauliflower "Early Dawn"
    Pak Choi "Joi Choi"
    Radicchio "Indigo"
    Swiss Chard "Kaleidoscope mix"
    Zucchini "Golden Dawn"

With the winter we have been having here I am tempted to try some plants from more tender zones. No palm trees though!

Ian

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

Ian, you do know that Gardens North has an on-line catalogue, with pictures? (And we all know pictures provide many more times the tempation of the hard copy catalogue without them!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardens North

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I got my Botanus catalogue in yesterdays mail. :O WOW what a catalogue! And another list begins....

Sierra...apparently will be planting up a storm come spring. :O

• ian_bc_north
    18 years ago

Hi Lori,
    Yes IÂm quite aware of Gardens North website and I was tracking the "First Come" area.
    That seems to have disappeared for now.
    I find that sitting down and reading the catalogue gives me a more relaxed experience. BTW the catalogue arrived Friday along with the one from Botanus and the seed from Dominion Seed.
    I can take the catalogues into camp with me, where I donÂt have access to the Internet, and go through them at my leisure.

The website is great if I already know what I am looking for.

Ian

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Well, what a difference it makes from reading a glossy catalogue compared to a website catalogue! I received my Botanus catalogue today and had to add on to my original order! LOL
    Now I can see more that I like! I believe I do this every year, donÂt I? IÂm sure Wendy must be holding her breath or counting to 10 of me changing my order every year ;)

Plants that I added...
    Alstromeria ÂLigtu (Shauna, you overwinter yours, right?)
    Hemerocallis ÂAutumn RedÂ
    Hemerocallis ÂLittle Grapette (I remember LoriÂs photo from last year or the year before?)
    Hemerocallis fulva ÂKwanso (How did I miss this double one!)
    Papaver orientale ÂPatty Plum (Pudge, was it you that has this one?)
    Sedum hybrid ÂVera JamesonÂ
    Thalictrum delavayi ÂHewittÂs Double (because of the latest discussion on this plant, I have to have one too. LOL)
    Oriental Dizzy (1) FREE (Just happened that my latest edition of Canadian Gardening magazine came in today too, thereÂs a coupon in the back for this lily, now I will have 3 bulbs)

I hope these are still in stock and not too late!

Received my Gardens North catalogue last week Ian!

Oh yes, most importantly, my Rebate $400 Alberta cheque came in today too, whooohoooo ;)

Sharon

• Stephanite
    18 years ago

I just got my Vessey catalogues. WOW! I want to order like crazy already! But I want to wait until I get my other catalogues since this is my first year ordering and I don't want to blow all my money at once. >_

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

Hi steph and welcome to the FN. Very sensible of you to wait for just a little bit. Last year was my first year and I ordered everything, in my excitement, from the first catalogue that I got, which was Thompson & Morgan. And then I found this wonderful place, where I have met many, many good friends. They all had such wonderful things to say about all of the other seed companies and I had already spent all of my $s. Sadly, I had to wait until this year to try some of these other seed houses. LOL.
    I still don't have enough money (or room) to get everything I want. But I saved myself plenty of dollars by looking for the best deals I could which resulted in being able to get more for the same price. BTW, I still ordered from T & M this year, too.

But, like Sharon said earlier, don't wait too long because they will run out of something and you won't get it until next year.

Shauna

18 years ago

Shauna, Shauna - no room? You posted that pic, and there's WAY too much lawn in there!

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

Gently, gently, gently I need to convince DH of that same fact. One of the reasons we bought such a big lot (your only seeing part of it - there's room for another house back there) is so that our sons would have "someplace to throw a football". Well, they all play lacrosse and rarely are speaking to each other long enough to go do anything together in the backyard. So very soon, I will be starting to inch my way through the lawn. When the next part of the deck is built, this spring, I will be putting beds all around it. I will be having walkways to the shed (left back corner) and to the greenhouse (right back corner) once they are built. You guessed it - there will be border beds along the walkways.

DH has this thing about the lovely expanse of green lawn. Slowly, I will be weaning him out of it. I wanted to do a small island bed and put a pond in. Nope, that disrupts the expanse of lawn. Well, how about a small island with a bubbler? Nope, that disrupts the wide expanse of the lawn. You can put the bubbler into the perimeter beds.

See my problem? He's lucky I love him so much!!!!

Shauna

• Stephanite
    18 years ago

Hi Shauna! Thanks for the warm welcome!

Last year I was going to try the garden thing but a lot of local greenhouses were sold out when I got to them, so I know the hard way why I shouldn't wait too long. But I'm pretty happy I waited so far because I was thinking of getting my mom a new peony, maybe yellow (she has her garden covered with white and magenta ones only) and I was eyeing the Kamatanishiki for myself. Today I got the Spring Garden catalogue and they have the peonies for $14 less than Vesseys.

By the way, I'm trying to find Wintergreen (Gaultheria Procumbens). If anyone knows of a place to get it from and can let me know, I would appreciate it, thanks!

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

Stephanite,
    Wintergreen has been hardy for me over several years in humus, although it would probably prefer somewhat more acidic soil - a few of the leaves burn a little through the winter and even through the summer. It is often available at Edward's in Calgary, but for mail order, I'd check the Hole's catalogue (which, by the way, you have to buy at a not inconsiderable cost - it's sold on newstands).

• Pudge 2b
    18 years ago

Stephanie, You can find Wintergreen at Richters.com - a great Canadian herb catalogue - I'm sure you'll find it interesting. I like reading the catalogue just to see what herb or plant was/is used to treat various ailments.

Here is a link that might be useful: wintergreen @ richters

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

I just glanced at the Botanus catalogue, and I see that they sell wintergreen too, so I expect it would be on their website too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Botanus

18 years ago

And i'd stay away from Spring Garden, if i were you. They don't have a very good reputation and i can't for the life of me figure out why Canadian Gardening magazine is promoting them!

• Stephanite
    18 years ago

Hey guys! Thanks for the help!

abgardeneer: I live about 90 minutes away from Hole's, which makes for a fun daytrip in the spring. Can't find wintergreen on their site. But then, Hole's website drives me batty. Also can't find the Hole's catalogue in Vegreville yet. Hopefully we'll have some of the catalogues by next week. And thanks for checking Botanus for me. I dunno how I missed the search link the first time I looked there. They already have a couple of things I want so maybe I'll go through them.

pudge: Thanks for the link! I'm pretty impressed with their variety! I'll probably order some seeds through them.

marciaz: Thanks for the heads up! Better to know now than when it's too late! Any other places I should be wary of?

• ian_bc_north
    18 years ago

Hello Stephanie,
    I have DaveÂs Garden Watchdog bookmarked on my browser.
    ItÂs a good place to check before putting in an order.

Ian

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Watchdog

• Stephanite
    18 years ago

Hi Ian!

Thanks a bunch for the link! 350 stores in Canada is a lot to check out! O_o
    But I had a bit of fun and added a local seed supplier, The Seed Centre, that wasn't listed! ^_^

Here is a link that might be useful: The Seed Centre

• durtcom
    18 years ago

I received my order from Thompson & Morgan this week and realized that I hadn't shared what I ordered with all of you. I am not impressed with the quantity of seeds they send but they sometimes have things I can't find elsewhere. In this case, the scarlet Bee Balm and pink Coreopsis.

I also placed a small order with Botanus. Shauna, I couldn't resist going for the 'Sweet Dreams' Coreopsis. Hopefully both of us will get some seeds this year. Also, I saw the most beatiful example of the Clematis in a friends garden this year and couldn't pass that up either.

Here is what I ordered:

THOMPSON & MORGAN

Lobelia pendula Cascade Mixed
    Echinacea purpurea Magnus
    Coreopsis rosea American Dream
    Sanvitalia procumbens Orange Sprite
    Cosmos bipinnatus Double Click (on backorder)
    Bidens Golden Eye (FREE)
    Coreopsis Basilis (FREE)
    Monarda didyma Cambridge Scarlet (FREE)

BOTANUS

Clematis viticella purpurea 'Plena Elegans'
    Coreopsis rosea 'Sweet Dreams'
    Phlox subulata 'Candy Stripe'

Susan

• Stephanite
    18 years ago

Decided to start with a Solana seed order.

Carrot Scarlet Nantes
    Carrot Cosmic Purple
    Carrot Lunar White
    Carrot Solar Yellow
    Carrot Atomic Red
    ( Yes, I got goofy and will try out a spacy variety of carrots.)

Tomato Red Currant
    Tomato White Currant
    Tomato Yellow Currant

Tomato Black Cherry
    Tomato Dr. Carolyn
    Tomato Green Grape
    Tomato Isis Candy
    Tomato Sungold (OP)

Here is a link that might be useful: Solana Seeds

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

Sorry, everyone. A couple of comments on here that I had let slip by without seeing them directed to me. Honest, I wasn't trying to be snobby. . . .

Sharon - Yes, I overwinter my Alstromeria(2nd year). They haven't sprouted yet this year but I haven't repotted them yet, either. I do know that they are alive and well. Maybe if I repot them, they will start. Seems to like its fragile tubers shaken up a bit to activate it. If they haven't started by Friday, I'll repot on the weekend.

Susan - You will love the 'Sweet Dreams' coreopsis. I found it late last year on a visit to Greenland Garden Centre and I just fell in love with it. But I didn't get to enjoy it very long before fall came. It seems like a very strong plant but yet very light and airy looking. I'm glad you've got it. Now we'll have enough seeds for everyone come this time next year.

Nice to see so many of you trying the Venidium, right, Ang? It really is a pretty flower. And they can be seen individually from a fairly far distance. One slight word of caution, though. Place them with supporting plants all around them so that they don't flop. I had lupins on one side of them last year, which was fine, but then I had some petunias, gazania and fleabane on the other three sides. The venidium sprawled over all of that after a heavy rain and never really uprighted itself after. Still very striking though.

Steph - Quite the tomato selection you have there. You might want to go over to the tomato forum and check some of those out. I think the 'Dr. Carolyn' is named after one of the tomato gurus that post there frequently, although I may be wrong about that. But, those people really know a lot about tomatoes. Also, I'm not sure whether you had joined us yet when I last posted this link but it is a fairly comprehensive guide to Canadian catalogues. There is a Canadian section on the main page.
    However, it doesn't tell you what is reliable or not. Garden Watchdog is better for that.

Shauna

Here is a link that might be useful: cyndi's catalogue of garden catalogs

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Steph and all, our local drug store finally got the 2006 Holes Catalogue in today.....oh geez, I think I'm going to shop till I drop in May, nice new plants this year ;)

• Stephanite
    18 years ago

Shauna - I've poked my head into the tomato forums before, actually. Kinda lurk more than anything there. I am a bit cherry tomato obsessed because I use them for cooking and fresh eating all the time. And, yes, that's the same Dr. Carolyn. I always wanted to try a white tomato so I hope it turns out well. And thanks soooo much for reposting the link! Hooray!

Sharon - Much thanks for the heads up and good timing! Tomorrow is the first Tuesday of the month, so I can get the Hole's catalogue at 10% off from the grocery stores that have the first Tuesday sale. Yay! ^_^

Steph

• ian_bc_north
    18 years ago

I got my order off to Gardens North

Actinidia kolomikta
    Anemone lesseri
    Anemone tormontosa "Robustissima"
    Anthriscus silvestris "Ravenswing"
    Campanula medium
    Clematis herbaceous species mix
    Delospermia aff. congestum
    Dodecatheon pulchellum
    Gladiolus imbricatus
    Liatris spicata
    Primula pruhonicensis colour mix
    Ramonda myconi
    Rhodiola atropurpurea
    Sarracenia purpurea
    Saxifragia species and hybrid mix
    Sempervivum species and hybrid mix

Also Opuntia lovers collection (8 pads)

Ian

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Wow Ian, thanks for mentioning the opuntia collection - I have been interested in Canadian opuntia for a long time and there's not that much info on the web about them. Gardens North have a very impressive collection. I have two slightly different variations of O. polyacantha, one of which has a more elongated pad and way bigger spines (look out!) and one is more round and the prickles are smaller but hurt more. LOL. One is similar to the "fade to salmon" but less salmon, and one is just yellow. Anyway I'm sure you will love them - they are the definition of hardy. Have you grown cacti before?

Gillian

• ian_bc_north
    18 years ago

Hello Gillian,

Last winter/spring I started some Escobaria viviparia and what Kristl calls Opuntia rutilans indoors.
    Those were seed from Gardens North.
    I also started some mixed cactus seed from Dominion Seeds (houseplants).

Of the Gardens North seedlings I started, some I put outside in a small rock/alpine garden some are still indoors trying to fatten up.

On the theme of cacti and succulents I also have four Lithops (houseplants). I purchased six and managed to kill two. I have also obtained mixed Lithops seed and am planning to start them this season.

I seem to kill most of my houseplants with inconsistent watering. The C&S donÂt seem to object too strenuously to my habits.

Ian

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Hope you can post some pics of your cacti this summer - I'm a big fan. I have a few indoor C&S too - I know what you mean about survival of the fittest in terms of watering. I bought some lithops in the fall having always been an admirer, and have also killed two out of three. I don't know what I did wrong, the instructions said not to water them at all in the winter unless they start to shrivel, and they started to shrivel so I moistened them a little. So two collapsed and one is still shrivelling. I might have to admire them from afar - they are rather expensive! What a good idea to order C&S seeds though, never thought of it.

• ian_bc_north
    18 years ago

Hi Gillian,
    HereÂs a link for a discussion on watering Lithops in winter.
    Ian

Here is a link that might be useful: Lithops thread in C&S

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Hey Ian thanks for the heads-up, I just found out that I knew nothing about lithops! I truly did not know that they are supposed to shrivel and form new leaves from the inside... so I went and looked and my remaining one is doing just that... I guess it is happy after all :)

Thanks I think you just enabled me to get more lithops... and the remaining 20 minutes a day I had free will now be spent on the Cactus forum. LOL

• Stephanite
    18 years ago

I got my Holes catalogue and they charged me the US cover price and I got 10% off on top of that! ^_^ OMG! It's so fat. And phat! It's worse that Hole's is only 90 minutes away by car, so I really want to go down there and raid their greenhouses. I wish they had pictures of everything because I would love to see comparison shots of things like the peonies and roses.

I also found my catalogue from Seed Savers Exchange. Tentatively, I'm getting:

• Osteospermum Ballade Mix
    • Tomato: Currant, Gold Rush
    • Tomato: Brown Berry
    • Pea: Tom Thumb

I think I have to make charts to keep track of what I want from who. I feel overwhelmed right now. O_O

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

Steph,

I went to Holes a couple of weeks ago and actually ended up wasting the trip out there. I'm a 45 minute drive across Edmonton. They had a big interior renovation going on and I was staring at a lot of empty floor space with little else. I'm sure they have it done, or mostly, in anticipation of the start of the season but better check before you drive in. The seed racks were out but there was very little in supplies and I'm not even sure that the seed racks were stocked with new seeds. I didn't see much that was different from last year.

Andre or anyone else from St. Albert - are you around to do a scouting trip?

Shauna

18 years ago

People here are receiving seeds and starting them already, and i've just made an order! Mostly, i've waited because i'd be too tempted to start things earlier if i got them earlier, and i wanted to start things like petunias and impatiens a little later than last year.

Anyway, here is what i've ordered from Vesey's:
    Pepper Orange Sun
    Swiss Chard Orange Fantasia
    Cosmos Sonata Mix
    Osteospermum Passion Mix
    Petunias O Canada Mix
    Petunias Ramblin' Red
    Petunias Tidal Silver Wave
    Petunias Tidal Wave Hot Pink
    Campanula Dwarf Pink
    Snow Pansies Mix
    Pansy Rhapsody Mix
    Impatiens Tempo Mix
    Impatiens Seaside Mix
    Hemerocallis 'Startle'
    Lilium 'Centrefold' (3 more bulbs - i can't wait for the one i already have to multiply!)
    Astrantia collection (thank you, enablers!)
    Lilium 'Starfighter'
    Dahlia 'Freak of Nature'
    Dahlia Pinwheel Mix

That's only Veseys! Eep! The old Visa was vibrating! :>

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Hey Steph, thanks for pointing out the Seed Centre, I had never heard of them. I found two kinds of seeds on there I have had trouble finding, Phlox drummondii "Twinkle Mix" and Nicotiana "Sensation Mix" - yes this is a very specific mix for me and I really don't like any other nics.

And their prices and shipping are very reasonable! I bought a few others to round out the order...

Phlox drummondii "Twinkle Mix"
    Kettuce Gourmet Mixture
    Zucchini Dark Green
    Lobelia "Colour Cascade"
    Nicotiana "Sensation Mix"
    Coleus "Rainbow Strain"
    Delphinium "Astrolat"
    Cactus seed mix (fun! tee hee)

I am not even buying bedding plants this year, I have now found everything I want as seeds!

• Stephanite
    18 years ago

Heya northspruce, That's cool that you found things you needed! ^_^. Funny thing about the Seed Centre is I used to live within walking distance to it, but I lived in an apartment and I was in college at the time, so I had zero interest in growing anything. Now I live an hour out of Edmonton, so of course I start gardening! Lucky for me, the local Co-Op grocery store carries their seeds. My veggie garden is mostly their stuff and it turned out pretty good last year!

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok OKAY......I know I said I was done buying seeds.....BUT....I stopped into the dollar store yesterday and well......WHO could resist....I ahemmmm added these to my collection...

Sweet william single mixed
    Rose Mallow Lavatera "Loveliness"
    Pansy Super Swiss Giants mixed
    Bachelor buttons mixed colours
    snapdragon Panorama mixed colours.
    Squash Acorn

Then I went to the local nursery...
    Lobelia "Cascade" Mixed
    Lobelia 'Crystal Palace'
    see begona thread for what else I bought. LOL!

Oh and I also went to Canadian Tire and found a heat matt kit $20 cheaper than the local nursery so bought that too. It came with one tray and inserts plus the plug in matt.

Sierra

• durtcom
    18 years ago

Placed an order with JL Hudson today:

-Papaver s. The Giant
    -Sagina subulata
    -Sanvitalia procumbens
    -Thymus Serpyllum
    -Viola tricolor Sawyer's Black
    -Lobelia erinus pendula Cascade Mix
    -Lobelia erinus Crimson Fountain
    -Petunia Kentucky Old Fashioned
    -Lilium pumilum Red-Orange

You can't beat $1.00 shipping for up to 20 packets and I have found their seed counts very generous.

Susan

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Susan, oh I know, JL Hudson is remarkable for the quantity of seed they give and the shipping is delightfully inexpensive, even into Canada!!!!

I just don't comprehend how some seed companies in Canada will charge $6-8 for shipping seeds!

I canceled my Red Dutch Lilies from William Dam the other day, I just realized on my invoice that they first of all charged me $6.95 to send off my seeds that I ordered and an additional $6.95 to send 3 little bulbs later on. No way, thatÂs a rip off; I'll order them somewhere else.

Sharon

• zone_envy
    18 years ago

Shauna, I noticed that you ordered Lantana camara. Have you tried these before? I received "Pink Dawn" and "Peach Sunrise" in a trade and I'm not sure how they'll perform here. They are beautiful and I'm hoping that we can at least grow them as an annual here.
    Anyone else who's tried them, please feel free to jump in!

Thanks,
    Cindy

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

Wish I could help, Cindy. It's a new one to me, too, so I'm looking for the same advice. I am planning on W/S'ing about 1/2 my pkg. and doing the rest inside this year, to see how they do. It sure looks pretty and I hope it works out one way or the other.

Shauna

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hee hee another seed update.

California poppy 'mission bells'
    Petunia 'single choice mix'
    Kochia...DH spotted this one and said try it
    Nicotiana mix
    Black eyed susan vine
    schizanthus 'angle wings mix'
    Pyrethrum 'Robinson's Giants mix' to replace some that arn't doing well....
    godetia
    gazania
    Bidens
    Nigella
    Castor Bean
    ornamental cabbage
    Amaranthus 'Velvet Curtains'
    Ageratum
    coleus 'Brilliant mix'

And I still have a pack of seed on order at the nursery of wishbone plant.

Sierra

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Well, here I thought I was done with seed ordering weeks ago....dang, had to slip one more in ;)

Thompson & Morgan
    Alcea rosea ÂCrème de CassisÂ
    Cephalophora aromatica (Free)
    Echium vulgare ÂBlue BedderÂ
    Eschscholzia californica ÂSummer SorbetÂ
    Lathyrus grandiflorus ÂMatucanaÂ
    Nicotiana x sanderea ÂFragrant CloudÂ
    Zaluzianskya capensis ÂNight PhloxÂ
    (plus 2 Free Seed packets of their choice)

Sharon